PDA

View Full Version : Help a brother out with a sight

mark2203
10-29-2008, 4:41 PM
http://www.upitall.com/Public/Pictures/IMG_3644.JPG

Hey Guys..I've spent most of my time sifting through the discussions and finally finished my base RRA AR build. Thank you very much for all the info posted. It was very helpful and this thing shoots like a champ.

I'm pretty happy with the Troy rear BUIS but for longer distance target shooting (100+ yards), it would be nice to see where I'm hitting on a target while shooting instead of having to wait until after I shoot 30-rounds and try to determine what round hit the center of the target after the fact. That being said, what lightweiht sight is the most versitile for distance visibility while shooting at 100+-yards away as well as even closer target shooting? I've looked at ACOGs, Eotech + magnifier combos. Tell me what will give me the best bang for the buck. I'm not super knowelgable about sights but since they can get very expensive fast, I figure I ask before spending a grand on the wrong one.

-Mark

Mssr. Eleganté
10-29-2008, 4:50 PM
Have you thought of staying with the iron sights and just getting a spotting scope to see where your rounds are hitting? You probably won't be able to see .223 holes from very far with most rifle scopes.

nobs11
10-29-2008, 4:52 PM
Get some rings. Get a good variable and high power and adjustable objective scope. Or get a spotting scope and keep the sights. That will do what you want.

ACOGs offer 4x magnification. You won't be able to see the holes in the paper without a spotting scope.

Eotechs and Aimpoints are 1x.

Install a scope or get a spotting scope. Most bang for the buck will be to keep the sights and get a spotting scope. It won't be as tacticool but will do what you want.

aplinker
10-29-2008, 4:57 PM
There's no "grail optic" out there yet, though the S&B short-dot and Elcan SpecterDR come close. Of course they're only about $2k... :rolleyes:

If you're using it for plinking and the range, consider the Millett DMS-1.

My personal fav optic right now are the Aimpoint micros. They're small and light. You can add a magnifier, if desired.

You'll need to consider the added rail height of the VLTOR when you make mounting decisions.

By the way, from a real world perspective, it's a bad habit to watch for bullet holes in a fight. You won't see them and you should focus on continuing to shoot. But hey, range work is a different beast. :)

You might be better served with a spotting scope.

aplinker
10-29-2008, 4:58 PM
Get some rings. Get a good variable and high power and adjustable objective scope. Or get a spotting scope and keep the sights. That will do what you want.

ACOGs offer 4x magnification. You won't be able to see the holes in the paper without a spotting scope.

Eotechs and Aimpoints are 1x.

Install a scope or get a spotting scope. Most bang for the buck will be to keep the sights and get a spotting scope. It won't be as tacticool but will do what you want.

You can spot holes at 100yd with 4x, no problem.

supersonic
10-29-2008, 5:16 PM
Have you thought of staying with the iron sights and just getting a spotting scope to see where your rounds are hitting? You probably won't be able to see .223 holes from very far with most rifle scopes.

Yeah, I agree. But don't skimp on spotters. I learned the HARD way. Tried BARGAIN "high powered" after BARGAIN "high powered" (made in china/usually around $40-$100), only to end up with a pile of disappointing garbage sitting in a pile in my garage. I finally wised up, sold them ALL, added some (MORE) cash, and bought THIS:http://www.swfa.com/pc-2896-347-leupold-12-40x60-gold-ring-spotter.aspx Put it this way: I'll never need another one as long as I live again. Live 'n' learn!;) OR, you could go with this, but it's NOT "budget-priced" by any means(but there is NO equal in it's class):http://www.swfa.com/pc-9180-542-elcan-1x4x-specterdr-optical-sight.aspx

nobs11
10-29-2008, 8:57 PM
You can spot holes at 100yd with 4x, no problem.

How well, what target and what kind of lighting? I can't discern differences between holes that are very close together on a black bullseye. On a foggy day, forget it. My vision is pretty good. There's a reason why spotting scopes were invented.

RobT2K
10-29-2008, 9:45 PM
I have a 3-9x Burris fullfield and can only see the bullet holes (barely) at 100 yds using shoot n see targets that turn flouresent when hit if I'm set at 9x. I have pretty good eyesight, and it's tough.