PDA

View Full Version : Robinson M96

niccnak
10-29-2008, 1:50 PM
What are your guys thoughts about the M96? Just wondering because I have one that I bought back in 2004 when I got back from the desert and I'm undecided about tying to sell it or if I should keep it. I've only put about 1000 - 1500 rounds through it and I like the way it feels, but I don't know if I keep it, or sell it and get a couple of Saiga's, (.223 and 7.62), and maybe something else. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

sjpd
10-29-2008, 1:56 PM
Nice, kinda like a Stoner Model 63ish. Sending PM.

RedDawn
10-29-2008, 2:00 PM
It's a nice enough rifle.
I'd keep it and save up the money to buy more goodies.:D

Addax
10-29-2008, 2:25 PM
I own one and I love it.:D

hawk81
10-29-2008, 3:14 PM
I have one and it is a good gun. I have put 5000 rounds through mine. You better hope it doesn't break though. It is hard to get parts for it. I would keep it if I were you.

X-NewYawker
10-29-2008, 3:23 PM
I own one and I love it.:D

Is there a gun you DON't own?
Peter Kokalis says to this day that the M96 is the finest Assault rifle he has handled. And he's handled a few.

So of course we can't get them.

tiger222
10-29-2008, 3:28 PM
what I like about the M96 is that it's a real sleeper. there are HK touches in it which I really like it for. It's one of the few on the approved DOJ list sans pistol grip (iirc?) too bad they didn't develop it further, but it was expensive for them to produce with many hours of welding time.

Toolbox X
10-29-2008, 4:01 PM
Peter Kokalis says to this day that the M96 is the finest Assault rifle he has handled. And he's handled a few.

I've read by many that the Ultimax 100 (http://www.ultimaxsaw.com/) is the finest assault rifle they have ever handled. That's what I want. James Sullivan is a genius.

grammaton76
10-29-2008, 5:04 PM

...only because Robarms isn't presently making 'em. Hopefully they'll make good on their threat to get around to making 'em again for a while.

They're real easy to Californicate - just remove the pistol grip and you've got yourself a CA-legal rifle.

Max-the-Silent
10-29-2008, 5:53 PM
I've got a very early HP prefix M96, and after some tweaking (by RA and myself) it's a workable tool.

There are things I'd change (cocking handle location isn't nice with optics mounted) and one of the tweaks I did was replace roll pins w/ solids, but over all the thing's a nice piece.

I bought one of the first ones that came into California because of the anticipated BREN and belt conversions. Got the BREN, still waiting on the belt...

The Ultimax design has a lot of promise, but as long as they stick to their own drum design, it won't be going anywhere. The dealer sample I shot way back when was accurate, semi-reliable, and the main things it had going for it was it's weight and low recoil. The example I got my hands on was "well-used" - wink-wink - when I shot it, so that could be the cause of the failures that I experienced.

Given a choice, I'd take a 249 useing mags over the Ultimax.

Addax
10-29-2008, 7:10 PM

:D

I still have a wish list of rifles I want to procure for my collection, so I would have to say that there are some guns that I still do not own.

The M96 is a great and handy rifle, and I would love to see it back in production again.

sigsauer887
10-30-2008, 12:44 AM
The rumor is its going to be in production again in 2009.

niccnak
10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for your thoughts guys.....I think that I am going to be keeping it for now.

Toolbox X
10-30-2008, 2:22 PM
The Ultimax design has a lot of promise, but as long as they stick to their own drum design, it won't be going anywhere. The dealer sample I shot way back when was accurate, semi-reliable, and the main things it had going for it was it's weight and low recoil. The example I got my hands on was "well-used" - wink-wink - when I shot it, so that could be the cause of the failures that I experienced.

Given a choice, I'd take a 249 useing mags over the Ultimax.

The Ultimax 100 is designed to be a SAW, and the 100rd drums it uses are meant to replace the belts that most SAW's use. However, the Ultimax 100 has a magazine adapter that allowed the use of normal AR and Beta-C mags with exceptional reliability. My favorite feature of the Ultimax 100 is the almost complete elimination of recoil when firing full auto.

Sorry to threadjack. I hope the M96 is brought back too. Personally I would rather have an XCR, but the M96 us still cool.

rorschach
10-30-2008, 2:33 PM
I love mine. I would love it even more if the belt-fed kit would ever be sold.

Does anyone have the pics of the beltfed mockup? I recall seeing them on biggerhammer a few years ago.