PDA

View Full Version : U Haul Robbed Across the Street

kcs1211
10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I get to my shop every morning @ 6:40. This morning, cops everywhere, blocking my entry way, police dogs and all that.

Turns out, the uhaul 15 yards from my shop was robbed @ gun point while they were opening the store. The guy said he was going to unlock the door, two guys in the bushes came out and led him inside where they had him open the safe, and stole all the money, then took off.

I carry when I go to work. Always. My shop is in Pittsburg.

I am the only one there for the first 30 minutes, its pitch black when I get there, and there is very little traffic around at that time.
Im always very cautious when I approach my shop, I always bring my dog to work (black lab). I've thought many times what I would do if approached while Im opening. I only have very little cash in the safe at any time, so as far as Im concerned, they can have it. But....

What would you do?

Your opening your store, you are armed, you are approached by 2 armed men who want to enter the building and get into the safe....

kcs1211
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
The robbery happened 16 minutes before I arrived to work. As far as Im concerned, had I gotten to work early, it may have been me who was robbed. My wife is freaking out.

pullnshoot25
10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Be discreet, just pack some heat.

kcs1211
10-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I do. When going to work. ? is, should, or would you use it.

liketoshoot
10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Lots of bright lights, Video surveillance, w/night vision not much more except getting a meaner dog then a lab.
Got to becareful out there.

alex00
10-29-2008, 1:35 PM
I do. When going to work. ? is, should, or would you use it.

I wish I remember where I saw it so I could post it, but there was a bunch of statistics on armed criminals. It went something like this:

X% of violent crimes committed while armed
Of those X% will have loaded guns
Of those X% will fire
Of those X% will hit the victim
Of those X% will inflict deadly wounds to victim.

It boiled down to a very low probability of death.

Guy pulls a gun and says he's going to kill you. I'd believe him, and fight like my life depended on it.

megavolt121
10-29-2008, 1:45 PM
What would you do?

Your opening your store, you are armed, you are approached by 2 armed men who want to enter the building and get into the safe....

If you know they can only take $5k, let them. Is your life worth $5k (that is insured?) or is it worth way more then that?

cowplop
10-29-2008, 2:00 PM
Open carry? For this situation, I'd imagine a bright stainless would stick out and make any prospective muggers think twice about you as a victim. The dog sounds like a really good idea.

Rivers
10-29-2008, 2:09 PM
First, I'd never post on the Internet how big (or small) a potential score you might offer.

Second, people have been killed for much less. You can get killed just for "disrespecting" someone nowadays.

Third, making you and your surroundings less of an opportunity for a crime goes a long way toward not becoming a victim. Improve the general lighting in the area. Get rid of vegetation and other elements that serve to provide cover while in wait of a victim. Increase video coverage with motion-activated lighting. Bolt or cable down items of value, like a safe, computers, electronics, etc. Set up a computer in your highest risk area that runs software that is motion-activated and will immediately email out images captured by the computer's built-in (or an external) camera.

Fourth, keep saying your prayers. You got lucky this time. Hopefully that continues. At least now you have a sympathetic neighbor who may share your desire to not provide an easy target in the future. Getting scared is not necessarily a bad thing. Just depends on how you deal with it.

damndave
10-29-2008, 2:11 PM
even if you are armed, let them have it. its not worth the risk of getting shot over 5K. if they have knives and see your gun, i dont think they would even try.

tgriffin
10-29-2008, 2:31 PM
I personally will never give someone the opportunity to remove me as the only eye witness to a crime. I dont want someone to decide my life is worth 5k.

sammy
10-29-2008, 2:55 PM
Rivers is right on. You have given your location and notified the world you have a "large score". I would revise your orignal post ASAP. Your wife has reason to be freaking out.

Rob454
10-29-2008, 3:22 PM
. I only have max $5000 cash in the safe at any time, so as far as Im concerned, they can have it. But....

What would you do?

Take a smaller safe and put it somewhere HIDDEN. put most of your cash in there and leave a little in the BIG safe so they think they got a good haul.
if you have a alarm system you can have the safe put on the alarm system with a PARTITION. This way you can turn off the alarm to the building, but the safe will require a different code to turn it off. make it a silent alarm so if they force you to open the store and turn off the alarm you can turn it off and they think theire good to go. now open the safe without turning off the partioton to the safe. make it a silent alarm trigger with response without call
You jsut ave to remember to turn off the partition when you come in so you dotn get the cops sent to you for no reason. i just did that for a customer and he forgot to turn off the partition. the cops showed up and he nearly crapped his pants cause the cops came in guns out and pissed off looks on their faces.

As for me if someone accosted me while opening the store and they had the drop on me even if I had a gun I woudlnt reach for it. My life is worth more than a couple of grand. BUT if they werent paying attention and I could pull the gun then I would. it would all depend on the circumstances
if you tell me what alarm system you have I can tell you if it can be partitioned

Pm me
Rob

m98
10-30-2008, 12:11 AM
You should let your dog go out first. Have the dog run around (search) the area(if the area has hiding spots) for possible BG's while you watch with hands ready to draw from ur vehicle.

There was a store owner in stockton that was robbed/mudered like 2yrs ago just as he pulled up to his store to open. They did took a large sum of $$$$ and is still on the loose to this day.

Be very cautious and careful.

odysseus
10-30-2008, 1:05 AM
If you know they can only take $5k, let them. Is your life worth $5k (that is insured?) or is it worth way more then that?

Isn't that assuming that's all they will do? How do you know serious injury or death might not be involved? I have known people who have been robbed, complied, and still were seriously assaulted. Plenty of stories of people being killed anyway even when complying and the perp has the money.

It's a deeper issue than the $5k and certainly giving up yourself to this has a serious risk there, one that might not be worth played.