PDA

View Full Version : How durable can a DD Lite rail be??

civilsnake
10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I went to CWS at lunch to pick some stuff up for a friend, and decided to check out the DD Lite 9 incher while I was waiting. Holy crap, it felt like a freaking soda can. I was afraid to grip it too hard.

So realistically, how durable are they? I just got a VTAC, and that thing feels pretty sturdy, but I'm wondering if it's not worth the serious weight savings to get the DD.

technique
10-29-2008, 1:52 PM
They are pretty strong. I haven't attempted to destroy one but I have dropped my rifle, banged it on a door jam and nothing happens. Not even a ding.

civilsnake
10-29-2008, 2:13 PM
Okay, seems I made a mistake. What I was handling was the 9 inch M4 rail.

What is the difference between the two? The mounting system is different, but is there a reason to choose one over the other?

aplinker
10-29-2008, 3:25 PM
M4 rail is an older design. It uses an Al barrel nut. Lite rail is the same weight, but uses a steel barrel nut.

They're plenty durable. Machined aluminum is shockingly strong. You could easily stand on the rail.

Addax
10-29-2008, 3:27 PM
Very Durable and Very Strong.

We love the DD Lite Rails.:D

civilsnake
10-30-2008, 3:13 PM
What about the Omega rail? Anyone had bad experiences with those?

aplinker
10-30-2008, 5:02 PM
Omegas are heavier, but their installation is easier.

civilsnake
10-30-2008, 5:10 PM
Omegas are heavier, but their installation is easier.

DD lists the Omega 9.0 at 9.7oz, vs. the Lite Rail 9.0 at 11oz. Looks like the Omegas are lighter?

EDIT: Unless of course the delta ring and such being removed for the Lite Rail weighs enough to offset the total weight.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 7:15 AM
DD lists the Omega 9.0 at 9.7oz, vs. the Lite Rail 9.0 at 11oz. Looks like the Omegas are lighter?

EDIT: Unless of course the delta ring and such being removed for the Lite Rail weighs enough to offset the total weight.

Yes. The delta ring and std barrel nut put it over the edge by a couple ounces.

mikecro1
10-31-2008, 9:17 AM
I like the Omega rail due to the fact that it is an easy install and uninstall...I need that capability to sometimes do a complete and immaculate cleaning of my rifle. Being that I own a gas piston system (Blowing the gas and residue in the front), I can easily wipe off the front portion of my AR without having to deal with too much fuss.

In addition, I also like the classic look of the delta ring;) for some weird reason

My Omega rail pictured with my CA-legal AR w/ maglock and 10rd Pmag
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/urban_jedi/IMG_0807.jpg

Sleepnosis
10-31-2008, 9:41 AM
I was stuck between an DD Omega and Troy MRF FF for my midlength.

RainierArms told me they have had no issues with the Omega.
DanielDefense told me its lock up is as "Secure as you want it to be, 1 week or 5 years from now."

I've yet to find any real review or post online that says otherwise.

So that's whats waiting for me to assemble back home.

aplinker
10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
There's no lock-up issue with the OMEGA. It's a great rail. It has a strong following because of that, and because of its simplicity.

The Lite rail makes a near-contiguous top rail, is lighter and it has an excellent attachment system, which is a little better than the omega.

If you're building from scratch, the Lite rail makes the most sense, since you need to install a barrel nut anyways. If you're using a pre-built with a delta ring installed and you don't have the capability or the will to install the Lite, go with the Omega.

They're both good options. Choose the one you prefer.