PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled at shipping cost for BB

Capt. Speirs
10-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I am a little puzzled. I went to order a BB from Coldwar Shooters and was stunned at the shipping cost, mind you I do a lot of eBay sales, so I know shipping and handling costs.

Here is what the charges were going to be, note; it was the cheapest quote

Sub-Total: $25.00
(FedEx Home Delivery® ): $12.91
Handling: $0.50
Total: $38.41

The shipping should be no more than $4.00

Am I missing something here?

sigsauer887
10-29-2008, 12:01 PM
That's lame. Order from www.riflegear.com instead. Excellent customer service and cheap cheap very cheap shipping ;)

BONECUTTER
10-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Yup....riflegear is like $4.50-$5.00 for priority mail.
Wes at 10% is right about the same.

So add some other stuff in your card and make the shipping worth or go elsewhere if you are bothered by it. They can choose to charge whatever they wish.....just like those people Im sure you see on Ebay.

ersatz
10-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Perhaps they use a flat rate box with tracking and insurance or otehr features. You could try and add 2 or 3 BBs and see if the price remains the same to confirm. That is a high price though.

Bruce3
10-29-2008, 12:50 PM
yeah i want to buy some machine gunner lube from LaRue it cost only $10 but shipping would cost another $10... :confused:

BroncoBob
10-29-2008, 1:40 PM
I shipped my whole trigger assembly to my SKS with $200.00 insurance to Texas and it only cost $7.40 via USPS. Something is crazy about those shipping costs.

Juicymeat
10-29-2008, 2:49 PM
yeah i want to buy some machine gunner lube from LaRue it cost only $10 but shipping would cost another $10... :confused:

Part of that is because LaRue usually includes a bunch of goodies that more than make up for the 10 bucks UPS shipping.

Dirtbiker
10-29-2008, 2:49 PM
Shipping for most businesses is a profit center. CWS can charge whatever they want. I bought an upper from them and shipping was like $30. I shipped a pair of motorcycle wheels into Canada from So Ca (50 lbs) and shipping was only $49.

I don't fault them for it. They had what I wanted and I was willing to pay for it. They need to make money to stay in business.

BONECUTTER
10-29-2008, 2:51 PM
Part of that is because LaRue usually includes a bunch of goodies that more than make up for the 10 bucks UPS shipping.

Yeah Larue good people. Had you done it you would of prolly ended up with a Hat and some Dillow Dust. (yum)

aplinker
10-29-2008, 3:18 PM
Real shipping costs have gone up a ton in the past year and 1/2.

ESPECIALLY for non-postal carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc.), but even USPS is up a good margin. A priority mail envelope alone, with delivery confirm, is over $6.

It's the nature of mail order business right now. Makes buying local make sense.

Addax
10-29-2008, 3:30 PM
This is our shipping costs for orders:

$6.95 UPS Ground Shipping (inc. Insurance) for all orders up to $750.00
(USPS if shipping to a PO Box)

Free UPS Ground Shipping (inc. Insurance) for all orders over $750.00
(USPS if shipping to a PO Box)

Steve O
10-29-2008, 3:35 PM
yea it seems like vendors are passing profits on to the shipping, instead of just charging what they should.

Makes the sticker price seem like a deal! Then after taking your time to shop, and select what you think is a decent deal, they hit you with the shipping.

Guess they figure once you made it that far, you will just take it!

I hate taking the time to do the shopping, then having to back out of the check out process because someone is trying charge me 80% of the price of the item to ship it!

geeknow
10-29-2008, 4:15 PM
you are close to ammo bros (cerritos) and j&j armory (santa ana). pretty sure both of those folks sell bb's for ~25 bucks.

Capt. Speirs
10-29-2008, 4:25 PM
Shipping for most businesses is a profit center. CWS can charge whatever they want. I bought an upper from them and shipping was like $30. I shipped a pair of motorcycle wheels into Canada from So Ca (50 lbs) and shipping was only $49.

I don't fault them for it. They had what I wanted and I was willing to pay for it. They need to make money to stay in business.

You are absolutely right, they can charge what they want, but they also add a handling charge. I just thought it was high, as a business person, I think it is too high and won't do business with them.

Capt. Speirs
10-29-2008, 4:27 PM
you are close to ammo bros (cerritos) and j&j armory (santa ana). pretty sure both of those folks sell bb's for ~25 bucks.

J and J Armory do not have the BB in stock, they push the Prince50.

shark92651
10-29-2008, 5:11 PM
We have the BB in stock and we are on Harbor Blvd, just off the 405 in Costa Mesa. Drop by anytime Mon - Sat 10-6 and pick one up.

3303 Harbor Blvd Suite D7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

http://riflegear.com/t-contact.aspx

Finding the right mix between flat-rate shipping and actual shipping is a bit difficult. We currently offer real-time shipping quotes which means the cost is calculated in real-time based upon the weight of the shipment (as estimated by the weight assigned to each item in the database). For US Postal, anything under a couple pounds will be $4.80. Once the weight gets to be around 7 lbs or more, UPS ground is a better deal. We are considering switching to a flat-rate schedule based upon order total just because a lot of customers feel more comfortable knowing what the shipping costs are before they get to the checkout phase of the website.

dchang0
10-29-2008, 5:30 PM
shark92651--

GEEZ, I had no idea you guys were so close by! I'll definitely stop by tomorrow to check out your BBs. I drive past you at least once a week...

Aw crap, your site says you're out of stock on the B-15 BB... Guess I won't be stopping by just yet...

To the original poster: sometimes it's a completely innocent error in the shipping calculator. I was selling an item on ebay, and through some magic combination of weight, dimensions, and distance, the quoted shipping ended up being three times what it really should have been. I had no idea about it until someone emailed me to complain about the high shipping, and so I went back and tweaked some of the numbers a bit to get it under certain unknown thresholds.

tenpercentfirearms
10-29-2008, 5:56 PM
Shipping is what it is. The nice thing about Cold War is they ship FED EX so you are going to get tracking info and it is going to come quick. I use USPS, but I also only charge $5 for shipping.

Sometimes I make money on shipping, sometimes I don't. You are smart enough you don't need a lecture as I think you were just venting.

Fate
10-29-2008, 8:49 PM
But at least you get LUBE with that raping. :D

Vinz
10-29-2008, 9:03 PM
I am a little puzzled. I went to order a BB from Coldwar Shooters and was stunned at the shipping cost, mind you I do a lot of eBay sales, so I know shipping and handling costs.

Am I missing something here? You should have called and complained....it might have got you a cheaper rate and a free tee shirt.

Wait Addax, I thought shipping was free for me, always??? LOL

I know, I need to call you.

vinz

Angie
10-29-2008, 9:20 PM
shark92651--

GEEZ, I had no idea you guys were so close by! I'll definitely stop by tomorrow to check out your BBs. I drive past you at least once a week...

We go by there all the time! Nice not having to wait for a part to come in the mail.
They have cute dogs too :)

BONECUTTER
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
We go by there all the time! Nice not having to wait for a part to come in the mail.
They have cute dogs too :)

Watch out for Barney.....He is vicious ;)

PIRATE14
10-29-2008, 11:21 PM
You are absolutely right, they can charge what they want, but they also add a handling charge. I just thought it was high, as a business person, I think it is too high and won't do business with them.

Well this could be good but……..I’ll refrain…..Since you’re new but some type of savvy businessman….after all you looked at the shopping cart knew the shipping price and decided that was way to high….

SHIPPING…SHIPPING>>>SHIPPING….only thing worse than shippers is the credit card processors….

We did try USPS but those guys in El Paso, TX just plain suck…..usually you can ship PRIORITY and it gets to almost anyplace in the Union in about 3 days….we averaged 5-10 days and a we were losing about 5 percent of our packages…not gonna work……plus they don’t consider it missing for 30 or 60 days and it takes forever to get your money for a lost package……Ever try and tell the ATF that 10 guns are missing/lost stolen and the last time you saw them was at the post office a month ago…which for most dealers that might not really give them an excuse to get the ATF out of their chair but tell them that it’s COLD WAR SHOOTERS…always a good excuse for my buds to drop by….

UPS…in EL PASO, has lost over 20 guns in the last 6 mos and did misplace over 150 POF 308 lowers for almost a month, that’s a good story for another time…so those guys don’t pass the muster…..

FEDEX….tracking numbers…and we can track the packages down to the joe that was handling them…lost guns…ZERO……lost packages, some but since they credit my acct in a wk or less, and we can and do ship another ASAP to keep the customer happy….customer has another item at most another 3-5 days that after we know package is missing….and we know riki tik that it’s missing…..

We just do too much shipping of guns out of ELP to do it any other way..is there cheaper….ya, but not going to work for MY BUSINESS…do we lose a few customers….of course, but we don’t lose what MY BUSINESS is all about…..

Okay….lets do some math…say you ship 6000 packages a year and FLAT RATE cost your business 5 dollars a shipment….$30,000 which isn’t a lot of money but it’s a lot of money…..for a savvy business guy….

Now say you lose 5 percent of those packages…..300 packages…300 not so happy customers….lotta extra man power being used to take care of them…

AH, but lets say you ship out over 12,000 packages per year….numbers...over $60,000 and maybe 600 not so happy people…not too mention those ATF guys….

I know everyone here on the internet knows how to run a successful FFL business and all about shipping/xfer/overhead costs ETC, so we do appreciate the input….

You guys should work on those banks/mortgage companies nxt cause….well, they didn’t do to well….

As for BBs….pretty sure we sell more than everyone else combined…

This thread is good cause now we know about the shipping rates on all the new companies that have been around for what….less than TWO YEARS…or maybe a few months….

So if you’re still puzzled, we can set up some private time for you….stop by the shop or at a gun show and ask for PIRATE14….we can talk about shipping and your business….

I hear ya on the costs of shipping but not gonna change….

Vinz
10-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I thought you guys were in CA? If not, do all shipments have to go via TX?

Vinz

PIRATE14
10-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I thought you guys were in CA? If not, do all shipments have to go via TX?

Vinz

Well than you get into the CA SALES tax thing......so, as posted many moon ago...they are seperate entities....for most shipments....

g17owner
10-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I can see the need for those shipping rates for a $500 upper or a whole rifle or lower but for a BB? I mean roughly 50% of the total cost of that order was shipping. Not even the vehicle transport industry charges that much. To the OP there are plenty of other retailers in So. Cal and most will charge you what they are going to charge but YOU have the final say in how your money is spent. If we dont like it i guess we can take it elsewhere.

nobs11
10-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I know everyone here on the internet knows how to run a successful FFL business and all about shipping/xfer/overhead costs ETC, so we do appreciate the input….

You guys should work on those banks/mortgage companies nxt cause….well, they didn’t do to well….

I guess insulting potential customers on a public forum counts as good business. I don't know a lot about business but know a tiny bit about life. Being mature and taking the high road always helps. I've no dog in this fight, but based on the way you respond, I would take my business elsewhere. Berating people because they won't pay your high shipping charges is not good business IMHO. No offense.

PIRATE14
10-29-2008, 11:56 PM
I guess insulting potential customers on a public forum counts as good business. I don't know a lot about business but know a tiny bit about life. Being mature and taking the high road always helps. I've no dog in this fight, but based on the way you respond, I would take my business elsewhere.

Don't worry.....I am seeing if I can top the SKULDUGERY thread here.....:43: But you're new....so stand by....

I don't have high expectations for some......I mean....last wk....there was guys wanking about paying a 1.50 more for a mag rebuild kit.....it went from 1 dollar to 2.50....the nerve of some dealers trying to help the good folk in CALIFORNIA.....

freakshow10mm
10-30-2008, 12:05 AM
I sell Bullet Buttons for $24.95 shipping included. Costs 59¢ to ship. Gets there in 2-3 days to California.

g17owner
10-30-2008, 12:09 AM
There you go OP. Capitalism at its finest. :D

PIRATE14
10-30-2008, 12:11 AM
I sell Bullet Buttons for $24.95 shipping included.

See this thread is packed w/ useful information....

lakai
10-30-2008, 12:24 AM
The standard rate for fedex ground is almost $7 but no more than $8 for under 1lb shipments no matter where you send it in CONUS. I have a corporate/wholesale discount rate but for shipments this small the discount hardly makes a dent because the fuel surcharge and home delivery fees aren't discounted.

UPS is probably $1 cheaper.

So CWS has a $3-4 handling charge, big deal. Do you expect them to make a special trip to the post office so you can save a few bucks?

freakshow10mm
10-30-2008, 12:41 AM
My mail carrier picks it up from the mailbox. No charge. I do this to save money on shipping and pass the savings onto my customers. Nifty plan. Seems to work well so far.

g17owner
10-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Lakai my postal carrier does the same thing as freakshow's. Oh oh it a conspiracy!!

Addax
10-30-2008, 1:38 AM
My mail carrier picks it up from the mailbox. No charge. I do this to save money on shipping and pass the savings onto my customers. Nifty plan. Seems to work well so far.

Wait until USPS loses some of those shipments.

It happend to us and we try not to use USPS if at all possible, hopefully it does not happen to you guys.

So far UPS works really well for us.

aplinker
10-30-2008, 1:49 AM
This thread just keeps getting better! :D

bornproud
10-30-2008, 1:53 AM
You know I was on the addax web page and They had good prices. Probably won't cost much to ship either.

bornproud
10-30-2008, 1:54 AM
Sorry jumped the gun a little.

Johnny Diablo
10-30-2008, 2:16 AM
I out to purchase a extended takedown pin and comp brake until the shipping rates at coldwar shooters made me rethink.

I hate fedex! I was paying the rent in the loo when the doorbell rang. My 2 year old was behind the deadbolted security door saying HI! I shake, zip up wash and wonder wtf? Who rang and dashed? 10 minutes later a cop is at my door. Oh? Hi! We had a report from your fedex guy that there was an unattended toddler here. Guess that was a false report. The cop gives me my fedex "sorry we missed you tag" I was pissed to say the least.

I like CWS and will just buy the stuff from them at the next CostaMesa jerky show.

tenpercentfirearms
10-30-2008, 6:01 AM
I sell Bullet Buttons for $24.95 shipping included. Costs 59¢ to ship. Gets there in 2-3 days to California.

At least you assume it gets there. Any business that doesn't get some sort of delivery confirmation is sure taking a big risk that their customers are always honest or that the USPS doesn't lose your envelope and now you have no way of knowing where it was last. At least put it in a padded envelope and stick a delivery confirmation on it. It will only take a few of those BBs getting lost and you making the customer wait 10-12 days to figure out it is gone before you realize completely cheaping out on shipping is not necessarily the way to go. Or when customers start saying, "It never arrived." I get that every once in a while and when I take a look at the delivery confirmation info I can say, "It was delivered on 10/30/08 at 6:00 AM to 93268."

$5 is a good way to do that. It covers priority mail and you can also ship the single Bullet Button orders for about $2 and make a couple bucks on having to mess with just one tiny little order. After all whether you order a Bullet Button or a Stag rifle, it takes about the same time to process.

For those customers who think you should never make money on shipping, you are entitled to your opinion. I am a business man, I try to make money out of everything. That is the way capitalism works. We try to find a nice balance in between and that is how the market sets the price.

AJAX22
10-30-2008, 6:03 AM
As a guy who used to sell a lot of stuff through the mail, I'd like to chime in.

It is really quite difficult to correctly gauge shipping costs in advance, the only real way to do it is to make two trips to the shipper or have a postal scale/printer that can handle it.

Even that won't help internet orders since you can't exactly calculate the weight of the order and packing material precisely before the order is boxed up (you can get close but you tend to underestimate)

That is not a problem on one time sales or used stuff where you are just blowing out inventory or clearing space and need to get rid of stuff irregardless of profit, but for ongoing merchandise (especially new stuff) the margins are already quite slim and you can't have underestimated shipping cutting into operating capital.

The gun business is especially harsh since the sales tend to require a very large amount of cash investment for a very limited return, in all honesty many vendors would probably pocket more money running a detailing business or something to that effect. This is both good and bad, good in that the people selling guns and gun parts tend to be people who are doing it because they love doing it, and bad because the profit margins really are not sufficient to allow for any real significant percentage of lost packages, customer returns, defective merchandise, inventory depreciation, or any of the other pitfalls that a business owner has to worry about.

Think about how long it takes for a business to amortize an upper that gets stolen or lost in transit. they are not making very much on it to begin with, and they had to shell out several hundred dollars to make sure they had it in inventory to fill your order.

Now figure that that small percentage can be further diminished by the cost of packaging materials, and underestimated shipping. not to mention the cost of having an employee on hand full time to handle the orders that come in.

Its a tough business, the only guys who stick it out in the long haul are the ones for whom firearms are a real joy.

freakshow10mm
10-30-2008, 6:45 AM
At least you assume it gets there. Any business that doesn't get some sort of delivery confirmation is sure taking a big risk that their customers are always honest or that the USPS doesn't lose your envelope and now you have no way of knowing where it was last.
Good points. I thought about sending them in a FRE; with my account I get free delivery confirmation. So far the way I've done things is working out. If I start to lose those small packages I might change my shipping method for those.

After all whether you order a Bullet Button or a Stag rifle, it takes about the same time to process.
Takes a lot longer to process a weapon for shipment than a Bullet Button. Bullet Buttons take maybe 1-2 minutes tops, weapons take closer to 10 minutes.

Gryff
10-30-2008, 8:53 AM
Just yesterday, I needed to order a mag for one of my father's guns. CDNN had the best price, but charges $15 for shipping. So they didn't get my business.

A company has a right to charge what they want for shipping. And I have the right to vote with my wallet.

freakshow10mm
10-30-2008, 9:35 AM
CDNN has flat rate shipping. Buying in bulk will spread the cost of shipping. Ordering one small, light item won't benefit you.

oddball
10-30-2008, 9:53 AM
I buy lots of things at Coldwar Shooters, along with many other firearm/ammo vendors. I buy for price as much as I can, but during these times we're living in, I mainly purchase from a vendor that has availability. And their shipping is always reliable. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Gryff
10-30-2008, 10:10 AM
CDNN has flat rate shipping. Buying in bulk will spread the cost of shipping. Ordering one small, light item won't benefit you.

True, but sometimes you just need a single small item that you can't find locally. In those instances, the company charging $15 for shipping doesn't get the business.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
10-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, I guess I had better add my $.02

Yes, most retailers charge more for shipping that the actual cost. Why? First of all, we are a for profit business. We have to make money wherever and however we can.

Second, we have to pay someone to ship it. That usually entails hiring somebody to do shipping on a more or less permanent basis. So those extra few dollars we charge go to offset their salary plus some extra for the business.

Next is the packing materials. Sure it is relatively cheap, but we do have to purchase the supplies to pack and ship every package. Anyone who runs a business will tell you that it adds up.

Last, we use UPS rather than USPS because of superior tracking methods. We want to know that the person got their package, and often times the people want to be able to track it as well. The tracking system for USPS really sucks.

So yes, we do charge more than it actually costs. However, we often add insurance into that price, depending on what the item is. Also, you don't see the bill we get from UPS where they try to screw us every month claiming that the package actually weighs more than our scale said it did (resulting in extra charges), or that the box is "oversized," which results in extra charges. Believe me, sometimes we are lucky to break even. Costs for shipping have sky rocketed, but we along with many other vendors have not increased our shipping costs very much vs our old prices. Instead, we eat some of the cost relative to our profits.

marksbb
10-30-2008, 2:04 PM
Sorry...bump

sorensen440
10-30-2008, 2:08 PM
Sorry...bump
Why did you bump?

Darklyte27
10-30-2008, 2:54 PM

Now you tell us!!
I bought from Riflegear, 25$+tax and 4.80$ USPS priority mail..

oh well cant say i didnt support a CA business.
If I build again ill be sure to buy from ya.

As for USPS, alot of people dont know that they have a flat rate box. Stuff anything into that 10x8x6 box and ship it for 9.80$ or so.
otherwise it starts at 4.80$
Yes tracking sucks but you save $ on shipping but you also get FREE boxes, you can even hand the box to the mailman or sched a free pickup.

AS for UPS, they have lost 2 packages out of hundreds throughout my life.
USPS has never lost any packages for me yet.

As for high costs of shipping, I hope I dont hear its because of gas prices now, gas has dropped below 3$ in the Bay area.

marksbb
10-30-2008, 5:51 PM
Why did you bump?

Sorry again...I meant tag

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2008, 9:45 PM
I got my BB today from AmmoBros, cost me $32.00 plus $6.00 in gas, lol.

Vinz
10-30-2008, 9:48 PM
All that drama and you were 17 miles away?? LOL just kidding

vinz

Sgt Raven
11-06-2008, 12:22 AM

Am I missing something here?
I got my BB today from AmmoBros, cost me $32.00 plus $6.00 in gas, lol.

So all this BS was over $0.41? ;) :TFH: :rolleyes: :p