PDA

View Full Version : Galil kit build

Dirtbiker
10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm probably picking up a Galil kit and I checking into who can put these together. It's a standard Galil with a new barrel and I'll end up using an ORF receiver.

Suggestions or recommendations please (Fedup you out there). Looks like a cool rifle but there is no way I could put this together.

Lateralus
10-29-2008, 1:18 PM
Doesnt ORF still assemble kits??

Baron
10-29-2008, 3:03 PM
good luck I've been eye ball'n these kits for a while now too

kalieracer
10-29-2008, 3:37 PM
I'm probably picking up a Galil kit and I checking into who can put these together. It's a standard Galil with a new barrel and I'll end up using an ORF receiver.

Suggestions or recommendations please (Fedup you out there). Looks like a cool rifle but there is no way I could put this together.

Good luck with that, I wanted one until I found out the ORF receivers are not very good to say the least. Check out some of the AK forums, people have been having issues.

NeoWeird
10-29-2008, 4:38 PM
Good luck with that, I wanted one until I found out the ORF receivers are not very good to say the least. Check out some of the AK forums, people have been having issues.

When you buy a 1911 sear do you expect it to just drop in?

Any good gun part will come with fitting issues. It's part of what makes custom fit guns so special and nice, albeit ORF did have some problems with their initial run, but most of those problems have been solved now or are easily remedied by anyone with a little machine shop experience.

Galil's are NOT drop in do it yourself kits at home for the average joe. It takes a lot of work and understanding of both mechanical and gun related systems. Still, I think it's worth it in the end for those that know how.

I'm just curious where you are getting your kit from. I haven't seen any real deals on kits for a while, outside of people price gouging on kits they bought several months back.

Standard
10-29-2008, 5:00 PM
If you wanted a complete one, check the Vendor for sale section - Henderson Defense is about to start a group buy on them I think.

Dirtbiker
10-29-2008, 6:18 PM
I just missed the one I wanted on GB. It had been up for 6 days with no bites with a BIN of $250. I do 1-2 hours of reasearch and bam it's gone. Damn it had a new barrel and everything. I should have just bought it. There is another one for $400 and another company has new IMI kits barrels and all for $800. Anything more than $250 is too rich for me. I'll buy a VZ-58 for $120.

Dirtbiker
10-29-2008, 6:20 PM
If you wanted a complete one, check the Vendor for sale section - Henderson Defense is about to start a group buy on them I think.

I wonder how well the Century Galil is built? Looks ok for the price.

Standard
10-29-2008, 6:33 PM
Henderson apparently really stands behind anything they sell.

Max-the-Silent
10-29-2008, 7:06 PM
ORF

The Nation's leader in serial numbered door stops.

If you have to have a Galil, get an off list Galil receiver and have at it. Don't waste your money on anything from ORF.

Lateralus
10-29-2008, 7:13 PM
ORF

The Nation's leader in serial numbered door stops.

If you have to have a Galil, get an off list Galil receiver and have at it. Don't waste your money on anything from ORF.

Thats a bold statement, surely you must be right!!! My AKS-74 Kit from them was total crap and has jammed every round ive fed it!! My magazines that I got 12 for $60 from them have surely since broken! In fact, I must have gotten complaints from all the other members here who have bought my 10/30s from me.

All the good deals Ive found at ORF have been wonderful investments and I would shop there again in a heart beat.

Max-the-Silent
10-29-2008, 7:42 PM
Thats a bold statement, surely you must be right!!! My AKS-74 Kit from them was total crap and has jammed every round ive fed it!! My magazines that I got 12 for $60 from them have surely since broken! In fact, I must have gotten complaints from all the other members here who have bought my 10/30s from me.

All the good deals Ive found at ORF have been wonderful investments and I would shop there again in a heart beat.

I glad that you had a good expereince with them.

Lets detail what I've seen come out of their shop.

An HK 91 clone whose receiver was formed out of spec to the point that I have no idea how the bolt carrier could have been originally inserted into the receiver short of brute force - the bolt could only be retracted back half way - that rifle was sent back directly by the FFL dealer who accepted it (He called me to ask for advice, that's how I know about it) After the rifle was returned, the FFL dealer then found hinself in the twilight zone for over three months before another rifle was shipped - that rifle functioned, but I've seen better finished military used HK's than a supposedly "new" US manufactured product.

FAL receivers.

I'm a FAL nut. The first expensive rifle I purchased was a G-series FAL back in the mid seventies. I work on mine, my friends, Etc. Long before FAL parts guns started coming into the country I was getting parts out of Canada (Ontario Gun and Tackle) and building different FAL (Metric and Inch) variations for myself and my FALaholic friends -

Fast forward, ORF starts putting out FAL receivers. Between Vulcan and ORF, I've never seen such poor quality. To this day, you metion either one, I'll tell you just what I stated in my first post - door stops, nothing more.

Now I'll admit that I haven't got my hands on one of their AK's - maybe what they lack in experience and the ability to produce the other products, they make up for in the AK's, I don't know, but my experience with their products and their customer service means I'd do no business with them, nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

kalieracer
10-29-2008, 10:44 PM
When you buy a 1911 sear do you expect it to just drop in?

Any good gun part will come with fitting issues. It's part of what makes custom fit guns so special and nice, albeit ORF did have some problems with their initial run, but most of those problems have been solved now or are easily remedied by anyone with a little machine shop experience.

Galil's are NOT drop in do it yourself kits at home for the average joe. It takes a lot of work and understanding of both mechanical and gun related systems. Still, I think it's worth it in the end for those that know how.

I'm just curious where you are getting your kit from. I haven't seen any real deals on kits for a while, outside of people price gouging on kits they bought several months back.

The issue is ORF receivers are out of spec and have some issues related to incorrect hardening. I was just sounding a warning, I did my research and lots of people were having issues with them so I figured it was best to mention it so a fellow member does not spend money on an item that may not work or be safe.

NeoWeird
10-29-2008, 11:03 PM
The issue is ORF receivers are out of spec and have some issues related to incorrect hardening. I was just sounding a warning, I did my research and lots of people were having issues with them so I figured it was best to mention it so a fellow member does not spend money on an item that may not work or be safe.

Oh, after owning four different style Galil receivers from ORF I am well aware of their problems. My point was that if you have the mechanical ability and know how to build a Galil from a parts kit then you will have the ability and know how to remedy those problems with little effort assuming you have access to the proper tools, the hardest being a milling machine.

I have one of the original ORFs that has more problems than any other and I am more than confident that with an extra hour of work I can get it back up to working order. So that lost hour isn't worth the time and money lost in trading 'up'. Plus I think all the current Galil's they offer use the commercial safety lever.

JeffM
10-29-2008, 11:09 PM

All that stuff would have been fine from any vendor.

He's talking about the stuff they R&D, manufacture, and build. Completely different story.

But yea, out of spec stuff can be fixed. It's just a PITA and not everyone wants to do it, especially when they're used to ARs and AKs that are reasonably in spec enough to be plug-and-play.