PDA

View Full Version : My first semi-auto rifle

DanHowitzer
10-29-2008, 4:11 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first post after lurking on here for a while. I was inspired by extensive reading on this forum and I'm about to drop some cash on my first semi-auto rifle (I own a Ranger 410 db shotgun and a Mosin 91/30) and I need some advice on which one to purchase. I would like to keep the price around $600 give or take $100.

I have an affinity for milsurp in general (I'm a proud holder of a shiny new FFL 03), AK-style rifles, and WWII guns. What has appealed to me so far is a CMP M1 Garand, WASR 10, and CETME. I love the Saiga 12 because it satisfies my love for ak's and also makes for a good home defense weapon (somehow the 410 seems inadequate for this role but it's all I have at the moment) but prices on these things are just too high for me right now.

Please enlighten me with your infinite wisdom!

TurboFall
10-29-2008, 5:38 AM
I'd say an M1 Garand, Saiga 7.62, or start an AR build. .308 is just a bit too pricey to justify a CETME in my opinion.

jlh95811
10-29-2008, 5:55 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=113269

chsk9
10-29-2008, 8:27 AM
Mini 14 NRA model looks good to me.

stphnman20
10-29-2008, 8:29 AM
I would start with an AR build. Easy to build and simple to use..

If not, get a Saiga..

Frijolito1988
10-29-2008, 8:31 AM
Star an OLL KISS build find good deals and it should be in the 700 price range

although you cant go wrong with either, i own an oll , ak and cetme and they are all fun! although i think I have more fun with my AK

EBR Works
10-29-2008, 8:34 AM
This vendor is very supportive of California.

http://www.freakshowbullets.com/product_info.php?products_id=252&osCsid=057db45e3ec7cd944a63356c16e621e1

Max-the-Silent
10-29-2008, 8:38 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first post after lurking on here for a while. I was inspired by extensive reading on this forum and I'm about to drop some cash on my first semi-auto rifle (I own a Ranger 410 db shotgun and a Mosin 91/30) and I need some advice on which one to purchase. I would like to keep the price around $600 give or take $100.

I have an affinity for milsurp in general (I'm a proud holder of a shiny new FFL 03), AK-style rifles, and WWII guns. What has appealed to me so far is a CMP M1 Garand, WASR 10, and CETME. I love the Saiga 12 because it satisfies my love for ak's and also makes for a good home defense weapon (somehow the 410 seems inadequate for this role but it's all I have at the moment) but prices on these things are just too high for me right now.

Was I in your position, I'd get the Garand.

No OLL/AW issues involved, major caliber, reliable as a mechanical tool can get. Historic importance.

You can go for a rack/service grade, or the full monty NM type.

In your price range, you're going to be limited to a CMP rifle, but that's OK too - shoot some matches, practice marksmanship and learn the basics.

As to home defense, forget doing it with a rifle unless you're way out in the sticks. Your 410 will do the job for the time being, and then plan on putting together the funds for a good relaible handgun.

AlexF
10-29-2008, 8:44 AM
I just got my first AK. Was originally going to go for a Saiga but the lack of a pistol grip along with the very cheap feeling plastic made me reconsider.

Frijolito1988
10-29-2008, 8:44 AM
Was I in your position, I'd get the Garand.

No OLL/AW issues involved, major caliber, reliable as a mechanical tool can get. Historic importance.

You can go for a rack/service grade, or the full monty NM type.

In your price range, you're going to be limited to a CMP rifle, but that's OK too - shoot some matches, practice marksmanship and learn the basics.

As to home defense, forget doing it with a rifle unless you're way out in the sticks. Your 410 will do the job for the time being, and then plan on putting together the funds for a good relaible handgun.

but with new elections and uncertainty (sp) in our future , lets just hope nothing drastic happens with OLL's im sure even if they ban certain guns they are not gonna ban old battle rifles , maybe more of the modern EBR

tmuller
10-29-2008, 8:46 AM
+1 for Garand(most likely CMP Service Grade)

You could also do a nice vintage styled OLL build for +$100 or do an AK for -$100. Any way you go you can't go wrong. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Max-the-Silent
10-29-2008, 9:55 AM
but with new elections and uncertainty (sp) in our future , lets just hope nothing drastic happens with OLL's im sure even if they ban certain guns they are not gonna ban old battle rifles , maybe more of the modern EBR

My bet is that any federal legislation that comes down the pike isn't going to effect CA much if at all.

I'm no Obama supporter, but the assertions of outright bans on firearms coming out of an Obama Whitehouse are fear-mongering more than fact.

Fate
10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm no Obama supporter, but the assertions of outright bans on firearms coming out of an Obama Whitehouse are fear-mongering more than fact.I hope he never gets a chance to prove or disprove your statement.

X-NewYawker
10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
get an M1-A/M-14. Removeable magazine, WWII stock design -- best of both worlds -- and absolutely legal in CA with no "interpetation."

Frijolito1988
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
get an M1-A/M-14. Removeable magazine, WWII stock design -- best of both worlds -- and absolutely legal in CA with no "interpetation."

thats about triple his budget lol

gir007
10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
build an ak. or garand.

Max-the-Silent
10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I hope he never gets a chance to prove or disprove your statement.

My bet is that we Sicilians will have a friend in the Whitehouse come January.

Big O
10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
So long as you keep it in the original configuration and don't put a pistol grip stock, thumbhole stock or a flash hider on it. Only few things are absolute anymore, this isn't one of them.

X-NewYawker
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm talking about a gunbroker used, wood stock under $1K M1-A.

5hundo
10-29-2008, 10:54 AM

I have an affinity for milsurp in general (I'm a proud holder of a shiny new FFL 03), AK-style rifles, and WWII guns. What has appealed to me so far is a CMP M1 Garand, WASR 10, and CETME. I love the Saiga 12 because it satisfies my love for ak's and also makes for a good home defense weapon but prices on these things are just too high for me right now.

If you shop around, you'll be able to do an OLL AR or AK build for $700 or less (especially if you build it up from a stripped receiver).

Otherwise, a CMP Racker M1 Garand or Carbine would be a good choice.

somehow the 410 seems inadequate for this role but it's all I have at the moment

Next time you go shooting, take a 2-litre bottle of soda with you and shoot it with a slug out of your .410...

I think you'll feel much better about your home defense situation... :eek:

chsk9
10-29-2008, 11:45 AM
If you shop around, you'll be able to do an OLL AR or AK build for $700 or less (especially if you build it up from a stripped receiver).

Otherwise, a CMP Racker M1 Garand or Carbine would be a good choice.

Next time you go shooting, take a 2-litre bottle of soda with you and shoot it with a slug out of your .410...

I think you'll feel much better about your home defense situation... :eek:

I have not heard about 2-litre soda bottles getting into the home invasion racket... :eek:

JTecalo
10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
DanHowitzer,

Theres a garand for sale in CalGuns.net

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=113134&highlight=garand

Booshanky
10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
My first Semi Auto rifle was my SKS. I highly recommend one for anybody due to their reliability and ease of use as well as ease of cleaning.

Nodda Duma
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
M1 Garand. You won't be disappointed.

-Jason

JeffM
10-29-2008, 1:31 PM
My first Semi Auto rifle was my SKS. I highly recommend one for anybody due to their reliability and ease of use as well as ease of cleaning.

+1

My first gun was a single shot .22, my second was an SKS.

As well as the ease of use and cleaning, it uses relatively cheap ammo, and no magazines or other accessories to buy. And it has lots of history as a military firearm.

An AK will do you one better, and are more "banworthy" when politics are involved, but as it's been said, it's more fear-mongering than anything at this point. It will cost a little more, and you'll need magazines, etc. But it's probably one of the funnest guns to shoot IMHO.

I will say however, with 20 and even 30 round drums coming out for the Saiga12, it seems likely that it could be classified as a Destructive Device by the Feds sooner than any other ban could come down the pipe. There has been some chatter about it for a while now. I haven't heard of any hard facts to support it however. Just seems more likely than any other ban due to the ease with which the BATFE can change the rules.

If you want a little variety, you could get either an SKS or an AK style rifle, and a stripped AR receiver at the same time and still be within your price range. Shoot the AK/SKS and look for deals to build up the AR over time. That's what I would do.

5hundo
10-29-2008, 1:54 PM
I have not heard about 2-litre soda bottles getting into the home invasion racket... :eek:

Whatever you're doing professionally, KEEP DOING IT!!!

You have NO career as a stand-up comedian... :rolleyes:

xrMike
10-29-2008, 2:17 PM
Given your budget:

First pick: Get an AK. Check out the Commercial Sales forum below. There's a Henderson Defense thread where you can pick up a Tantal (5.45) for $500. Ammo is cheapest of all milsurp right now for this round. If you don't want this caliber, than get one in 7.62 (ammo relatively cheap still). AKs are really fun to shoot for some reason, not sure why really...

Second pick: Get a Garand or Carbine from the CMP. I love my Garand and everybody should have one, but its recoil is stout, and I get tired of it and start flinching like a weenie after ~30 rounds. That's probably why the AK (for me) is more fun.

If you had more money to work with I'd say "Get an AR!" for sure.

ETA: Just saw this link in another thread, another Henderson option: http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=78. That's a pretty good deal, imo.

aplinker
10-29-2008, 3:31 PM
I'd say Saiga (any caliber - .223, 7.62x39 or .308), SKS or AK. AR will be out of reach ($800 would allow you to go quality).

If you go Saiga, you could pick up a handgun with it, and still be under $700.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-29-2008, 5:45 PM
Ar or garand are win.

dreyna14
10-29-2008, 5:52 PM
I've got a Mini-14 with case and 2 mags for sale. Well within your price range. It's a fun gun, but I never shoot it anymore. :(

BigKevLA
10-29-2008, 5:54 PM
Build an AK. Reliable and fun to shoot. Ammo has some punch and is inexpensive.

socomIInato
10-29-2008, 8:32 PM
long range go m1, short range ar.

DanHowitzer
10-30-2008, 1:09 AM
Thanks for all your guys' advice! I knew I struck gold when I found this forum. After considering price, fun factor, as well as the possibility of political winds changing directions in the upcoming months, I've decided to go with a WASR rifle, probably something like this recommendation (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=113269):

Next one is going to be a CMP M1 Garand for sure.

Oh, and I am very comfortable using the 410 as a home defense weapon as it is surprisingly accurate and powerful enough, although the two shot capacity kind of sucks.

Thanks to everyone that responded!