PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal for a Rommy?

jpkotor
10-29-2008, 1:52 AM
So I haven't even received my first kit in the mail yet (I'm starting off my career with a Yugo m70), but I am already worried that my first build will be my last with increasing prices! I find outdated ads from last year alone listing kits 100 dollars cheaper than current prices!

So with google as my guide this is the best deal I've come across for me to get a second kit.

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=36&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I've read good things about rommys. Are they good and is that kit worth it? Should I face being really (and i mean REALLY.. err.. college...) broke now in order to have this kit to build later? (When i finally have the money for a receiver)

jpkotor
10-29-2008, 2:15 AM
I also came across this

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/719?osCsid=29j05ndj6acq9el2afrto16vg5

Steve O
10-29-2008, 3:17 AM
save youre self the investment on tools, and time to biuld thouse ak's.

Me and a friend got kits when they were $135 for everything including the tapco FCG and rivets. it's been over a year and we have bent 6 receivers with no lick getting decent quality.

but the gun builted for $450.

EBR Works
10-29-2008, 6:32 AM
save youre self the investment on tools, and time to biuld thouse ak's.

Me and a friend got kits when they were $135 for everything including the tapco FCG and rivets. it's been over a year and we have bent 6 receivers with no lick getting decent quality.

but the gun builted for $450.

Dude! Spell check is your friend!;)

That's a great deal on a kit if it's still available for that price. I have considered building one also. It seems that with current kit prices, it just doesn't make sense unless you can reliably bend a flat.

You could just buy something like this:

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=78

hybridatsun350
10-29-2008, 7:47 AM
The cheapest place to find kits is in the for sale thread on this forum, over in the equipment exchange over at AR15.com, or any other gun forum really. Just stick to buying from private sellers right now. You'll get better deals.

tmuller
10-29-2008, 7:53 AM
You could just buy something like this:

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/pro...4&productId=78

Not to thread jack but, you've just provided me with my next rifle. Thanks impacto!! My wife is going to kill me.

EBR Works
10-29-2008, 7:57 AM
Not to thread jack but, you've just provided me with my next rifle. Thanks impacto!! My wife is going to kill me.

Just get her one as well! Also listed in the for sale forum. I'm thinking of ordering one with the red furniture!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=113269

motorhead
10-29-2008, 8:23 AM
we can't turn back the clock. hell, when i was in hs gas was .29 and a pack of camel was a quarter, but i digeress. the apex kits are non G (military issue) which means they were fired f/a with corrosive ammo. they also may be out. non matching means at least the probability of adjusting headspace, an operation you only screw up badly once. there are still $200 g kits around, some even a little under. you will have to look and take the risk of buying from a private party.

RedDawn
10-29-2008, 9:15 AM
If I were a starving college student, I'd just buy a fully assembled AK rifle for the money, IMO.

New AK's can be bought for $500-$700.

If you were to build one...
AK parts kit: $200-$275 + S&H
Tapco trigger group (some 922r compliance parts): $30 + S&H
Receiver flat: $15 + S&H
Receiver bending jig: $150 + S&H
(or you can buy and dros a ready made receiver for $70 + dros fees)
Misc. tools: $100-$250

Bottomline, save yourself the time and headaches.

jpkotor
10-29-2008, 12:03 PM
i was thinking after the kit

nds-3 (55 shipped + DROS)
tapco fcg + muzzle brake (i've already got these for $30 shipped for my yugo, so I can get them again for another $30)
rivets (~10)

and I have already committed myself to building the yugo (parts are on the way). so i'll have whatever tools I decide to use. and i need to get magazines for the yugo anyway so i'll just use those and thats not an extra cost (thats gonna be part of my yugo cost either way)

so that'll put the cost of the rommy around 400 and the satisfaction about building it myself.. right? c'mon you guys are supposed to be the guys telling me its even worth paying more for the satisfaction of the build!

RedDawn
10-29-2008, 1:11 PM
c'mon you guys are supposed to be the guys telling me its even worth paying more for the satisfaction of the build!

:D
True, there's alot of satisfaction in building these yourself.
I was under the impression you were new to this. Mistakes can cost a lot you know. However, if you're going to build a few of these, it's worth the investment in tools.
Good luck with the builds and show us some pictures when you're done.

jpkotor
10-29-2008, 1:32 PM
Your impression is correct, like I said the Yugo I have ordered and not even received yet will be my first build. I wanted a Yugo specifically and couldn't find any built so I decided this would be a fun project for me, my dad, and my brother.

I ordered the yugo parts (2 kits) and started researching how I would do this and what I need. It was during this research that I realized parts kits are drying up, and if I ever wanted to build a second one I better act now and get another kit (even if it sits in a box waiting for me to build in a year). So, having already planned to invest in the necessary tools for the Yugo, I was wondering if those Rommy kits were worth it (I'd be using a 100% receiver).

But I don't just mean if they're worth the effort, I mean also what is the fair price to pay for a Rommy (or Rommy G) kit lately? I can get a Rommy G complete and matching for $245, is that too high?

Peace Sells?
10-29-2008, 2:37 PM
Colorado Gun Sales will not ship a kit to Cali if I remember correctly. I bought my Romy G on gun broker for about 215 with the tapco FCG. I also have 2 AMD-65 barrel less kits from Cope's distributing to build also. I think your best bet to get a kit is to buy from an equipment exchange board on arf.com or the akfourm.net.