PDA

View Full Version : I lit 1/4 cup of smokeless powder...

MarikinaMan
12-28-2016, 11:49 AM
I'm decommissioning a few boxes of 16 and 410 gauge shot shells I got as part of an estate sale lot. I am saving the shot and soaking the heads to kill the primer for disposal.

I'd give the shells away, but a lot of the heads are corroded, and I can't test for function as I dont have these calibers.

I was curious how smokeless powder in a fire behaves, specially so that Ive got more than a dozen pounds stored in my garage. I did a test. I wrapped about 1/4 cup of powder in newspaper, went to a safe place and lit it.

It wasnt violent like I thought it would be. Ive seen BBQ fluid ignition that was a lot more violent. It was also less violent than fire works powder when lit. Its a controlled ignition and pretty slow in my opinion. Kinda like sssshhhhhhSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHPHEW!

I shoulda taken a video. But I was focused on a safe experiment.

It was interesting. If a fire ever engulfed my garage, I wont be running as hard as I initially planned. THE END

Exodus343
12-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah smokeless gunpowder burns pretty calmly and slowly when not compressed and directed

Pretty neat to watch :)

BillnotBob
12-28-2016, 1:20 PM
Hello MarikinaMan, do you have a lawn or garden? the powder can be used as fertilizer.Caution, some plants do not like some powders, try in small amounts to see how they react.

Carcassonne
12-28-2016, 2:10 PM
In most Western and Pirate movies where smokeless powder wasn't invented, they always use smokeless powder to "run a fuse" to the powder keg before blowing it up. Smokeless powder burns slower when not confined. If you eve try to burn a 1/4 cup of black powder, you will probably have burns on your hands and face, if not be in the emergency room at the hospital.

croue
12-28-2016, 2:16 PM
I have used powder several times as part of a fathers-sons group campfire ceremony. If you're creative, you can get some really cool effects.

C

MarikinaMan
12-28-2016, 2:49 PM
Hello MarikinaMan, do you have a lawn or garden? the powder can be used as fertilizer.Caution, some plants do not like some powders, try in small amounts to see how they react.

I have done that. I didnt wanna mention it lest I attract the wrath of SJW greenie wackos :)

wbunning
12-28-2016, 3:01 PM
Run from the primers.

Gryff
12-28-2016, 4:00 PM
Yeah, but keep in mind that a Calgunner died a few years back from underestimating the ignitability in smokeless powder.

IIRC, the story is that he had a firepit in his back yard that only had a small fire in it. He decided to enhance it by tossing some powder on it from an 8lb. jug of a type he no longer used. When he sloshed (for lack of a better word) the powder out of the jug on to the fire, the powder stream ignited and caused the jug to combust. The flash was so severe that he died the next day or so from the burns.

My point...it is better to over-estimate how the powder will burn than to under-estimate it. As for the OP's test, I think a better test regarding his powder storage would be how it handles ignition within a plastic container rather than wrapped in paper.

Abenaki
12-28-2016, 6:06 PM
Yeah, but keep in mind that a Calgunner died a few years back from underestimating the ignitability in smokeless powder.

IIRC, the story is that he had a firepit in his back yard that only had a small fire in it. He decided to enhance it by tossing some powder on it from an 8lb. jug of a type he no longer used. When he sloshed (for lack of a better word) the powder out of the jug on to the fire, the powder stream ignited and caused the jug to combust. The flash was so severe that he died the next day or so from the burns.

My point...it is better to over-estimate how the powder will burn than to under-estimate it. As for the OP's test, I think a better test regarding his powder storage would be how it handles ignition within a plastic container rather than wrapped in paper.

Wow!!!! All I ever did was to blow my eyebrows off with black powder.
I was 12 at the time.

Take care
Abenaki

MarikinaMan
12-28-2016, 6:38 PM

Points taken. I'd never approach a BBQ and throw lighter fluid on it. Much less, a fire while holding an 8 pound jug. That's playing with..... uh..... fire.

AGGRO
12-28-2016, 6:42 PM
8 lb jug of explosives and a fire pit, what could possibly go wrong.

LynnJr
12-28-2016, 7:53 PM
Smokeless powder is a propellant and black powder is an explosive.

garyvale
12-28-2016, 7:56 PM
Quite a few people have died by doing the same thing with a can of gasoline and a fire. Same results, if not more so. You can't fix stupid.

garyvale
12-28-2016, 7:59 PM
Wow!!!! All I ever did was to blow my eyebrows off with black powder.
I was 12 at the time.

Take care
Abenaki

Billy, is that you? If so, I supplied the black powder.....:)

pacrat
12-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Kinda like sssshhhhhhSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHPHEW!

That's an apt description.

One gallon of gasoline, properly vaporized at a 15:1 ration by volume with air. Has the same explosive force as 2 sticks of dynamite. With pure oxygen it goes up to 5 sticks of dynamite.

Over 1,000 homes every year, burn down in the US because of "lint build up" in clothes dryers.

It's amazing the things folks take for granted that can kill you.

Scary world we live in folks. Take care. :eek:

packnrat
12-29-2016, 5:58 AM
second the spread it out on the plants.
they love some of what is in smokless powders.

Jimi Jah
12-29-2016, 8:32 AM
Left over powder is great for starting a barbeque. Adds a "western flavor" too.

rm1911
12-29-2016, 8:52 AM
That's an apt description.

One gallon of gasoline, properly vaporized at a 15:1 ration by volume with air. Has the same explosive force as 2 sticks of dynamite. With pure oxygen it goes up to 5 sticks of dynamite.

Over 1,000 homes every year, burn down in the US because of "lint build up" in clothes dryers.

It's amazing the things folks take for granted that can kill you.

Scary world we live in folks. Take care. :eek:

Ever notice how dangerous oxygen can be. Stuff should be banned or at the least heavily regulated. It's far to risky leaving it freely available. It could fall into the wrong hands. Or worse, children. Think how many children's lives could be saved if we could,just get common sense oxygen laws.

BajaJames83
12-29-2016, 9:06 AM
Back when I was with artillery we had to burn the unused powder always a fun show.
We woukd make a long Snake and light one end. Burnt over 500lbs one field op.

NukleusX
12-29-2016, 9:29 PM
What I learned in this thread-

Always clean the lint screen of your dryer!

pacrat
12-31-2016, 5:55 PM
What I learned in this thread-

Always clean the lint screen of your dryer!

Screen is easy and not a problemo. Fires start when there is lint buildup in the ductwork and cabinet of the machine.

Scary

Fishslayer
01-01-2017, 2:10 AM
Shotgun powder is generally fairly fast. Try it with some rifle powder. S-L-O-O-O-O-W... ;)

jericho89
01-01-2017, 8:48 AM
Back when I was with artillery we had to burn the unused powder always a fun show.
We woukd make a long Snake and light one end. Burnt over 500lbs one field op.

That's the only way to burn it, of course it is fun to put a few piles in the mix, kind of like a snake that has eaten a rodent or two. :D

robert101
01-02-2017, 1:41 PM
Guys really, all this talk about how explosive gasoline can be and we will be found out by our legislators. In order to protect us, they will for sure propose a bill to limit us to 10 cups per vehicle at any point in time specifically for driving.

jericho89
01-02-2017, 4:39 PM
Guys really, all this talk about how explosive gasoline can be and we will be found out by our legislators. In order to protect us, they will for sure propose a bill to limit us to 10 cups per vehicle at any point in time specifically for driving.

Why do you think they are pushing electric cars...

RandyD
01-02-2017, 5:26 PM
When I was a teenager, I inherited my grandfather's reloading supplies which included a 1 pound coffee can that was half filled with rifle powder. I could not identify the specific powder so I disposed of it. I put the can in the middle of my back yard and lit the powder with a match. It was slow starting but once it started to burn, there was no putting it out, and it burned for about 10 seconds. It was not a flash as I expected. It also shot a flame several feet in the air, and it produced a lot of heat.