PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Decision

Fire in the Hole
10-28-2008, 3:12 PM
I'm in the process of selling my Winchester M-1 Garand .30-06. I want to buy a rifle in .308, probably a Springfield Armory Scout. I've been doing lots of reading, but there are so many sub-models and variants, my head's swimming. Two questions: 1. Any suggestions for a rifle that I can enter matches with, use as a carbine for home defense, and is suitable to use in training seminars? 2. Does anyone know of a single strore with a plethoria of these models that I can visit for touchy feeley purposes?

JeffM
10-28-2008, 3:23 PM
Where are you located?

aplinker
10-28-2008, 3:25 PM
Location would definitely help.

You'll be at a bit of a disadvantage in training and competition with an M1A. You should consider an AR15 with a U-15 or MMG.

Fire in the Hole
10-28-2008, 3:34 PM
I'm in Tuolumne County, CA, near Yosemite Park. The largest "big city" is Modesto, 50 miles south-west. But once I hit the 99 corridor, I can go north or south, say Bakersfield to Sacramento. As far as AR's go; It's got to be CA legal, and I don't care for the fixed magazines, button varieties I've seen. I'll wait until I move out of CA to buy an AK. For now I'm looking at .308's.

5hundo
10-28-2008, 3:34 PM
Keep that Winchester, man!!!

That will only increase in value as time goes on, IMHO...

aplinker
10-28-2008, 3:43 PM
I'm in Tuolumne County, CA, near Yosemite Park. The largest "big city" is Modesto, 50 miles south-west. But once I hit the 99 corridor, I can go north or south, say Bakersfield to Sacramento. As far as AR's go; It's got to be CA legal, and I don't care for the fixed magazines, button varieties I've seen. I'll wait until I move out of CA to buy an AK. For now I'm looking at .308's.

If you're only considering .308 that rules out the AR-15. However, for your future reference, the fixed magazine versions aren't all that's out there. You can use detachable magazines by using a stock such as the U-15 (link (http://californiarifles.com/)) or the MonsterMan Grip (link (http://monstermangrip.com/)). There's also the Saiga (link (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=361&zenid=3a6cae7985e9d97a69289a99abf0e301)) or the MMG for the AK.

I would agree that scout version of the M14 is the way to go in .308. It gives the best balance between shootability and handling, while maintaining the USGI gas system.

Jicko
10-28-2008, 3:59 PM
AR10!!

ie. N6.... heh hee

Omega13device
10-28-2008, 4:06 PM
Your requirements for match shooting and a carbine are somewhat at odds with each other. If you want a carbine then the M1A Scout or Socom is for you, but if you're really going to shoot matches then I would get the "Loaded" model. As long as you get the CA-legal model which has a muzzle brake instead of a flash suppressor, you can use detachable 10-rd mags.

aplinker
10-28-2008, 4:07 PM
Your requirements for match shooting and a carbine are somewhat at odds with each other. If you want a carbine then the M1A Scout or Socom is for you, but if you're really going to shoot matches then I would get the "Loaded" model. As long as you get the CA-legal model which has a muzzle brake instead of a flash suppressor, you can use detachable 10-rd mags.

I assumed he meant tactical carbine or 3-gun matches.