PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Idaho's high country

Thrillbilly
10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
I was excited at the prospect of catching cutts on the 000wt, so I was already awake when my alarm went off at 0400. I had packed the car the night before so I got dressed and headed out to pick up the other guy I was going fishing with. I got to his house and we loaded his gear in the car, I had never fished with him before and was looking forward to showing him some fun times. We headed out stopping for breakfast on the way. It was a dark and cold morning as we made our way up a highway towards our destination. We got to the parking area just before 0800 and there was only one other car there, the sun had not come up yet and it was pretty chilly. We geared up and got ready to go do some fishing, we hiked back into a spot that had done well for me before. When we started to fish the run the sun had not made it over the mountain, and there was ice on the banks of the river. We fished the run for a while fighting the ice that was forming on our guides and fly line every few casts. Sadly neither of us had any strikes, I was fishing dries on my 000WT rod and he was fishing nymphs on his 5wt. I said lets hike up river a bit and check it out, so we headed up the trail for a while. The sun now made it over the mountain so I was thinking that things were going to pick up. Sadly things never did pick up, I saw no fish in the water and I saw no fish rising. I was thinking to myself what happened this place was always a producer. We fished the river until 1500 when I said hey lets get out of here. We hiked back to the car, I said man I don’t want to get skunked today, so what do you say we go check out one of the tribs of this river before we head out. We packed our gear back in the car and made the short drive to one of the tribs. The trib was back down in a high elevation meadow, it kind of reminded me of the Owens back home. We drove a bit and found a place to pull off to take a look. When we saw the water we noticed a school of quite a few fish, I was thinking hell yea. So we got the rods out and began to fish. These guys were not looking at anything I was throwing, I happened to see a caddis fly by and fall in the water. A fish quickly came up and took the caddis, I thought to myself Bingo! I quickly tied on an EHC and cast; one of the fish came up and took it. I went to set the hook and I ended up pulling the fly out of his mouth. I cast a few more times but nothing was looking at my fly, I decided to walk down stream a bit to see what else I could find. I had not made it far when the guy I was fishing with yelled I got one. He quickly landed the fish and released it; he cast again and caught another. When I made it back I asked him what he had caught it on and he replied a red zebra midge. I said alright I will tie one on and catch a couple of fish and then we can get out of here if you want. So I tied on the zebra midge and began to fish. It did not take long before I hooked the first one, man this guy put a bend in the 000wt. I landed him and released him; I then cast again and got another. We each caught a few then we decided to pack it up and head out as it was now after 1600 and we had a long drive. All in all it was not the best of days but at least we did not get skunked. On the way out I said to him I still consider it as a skunk for me because we did not get any trout at all.

Thrillbilly
10-28-2008, 10:21 AM
More whitefish

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/sashathelen/dddca7ab.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/sashathelen/3b193fc3.jpg

308fan
10-29-2008, 9:44 AM
Sounds like a nice way to spend a day.

Chukar hunter
10-30-2008, 8:49 AM
I've had trips like yours before.... thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. I'll bet those whitefish put a good bend in the 000. It looks like really pretty country up there, too bad the 'cutts didn't want to play. I was up on the South Fork of Bishop Creek last weekend. I took the wife up for a picnic and glanced in the creek and saw some nice trout finning. I always keep a couple of pack rods in the car, with a tiny amount of tackle. I threaded up a spinning rod, tied on a 1/8 oz panther martin. First cast I hooked and landed a 16" rainbow. Walked back to the car where my wife and the dogs were taking a nap. I told her about the fish and poked my way down to the creek right where the car was. I saw fish finning in some bathtub sized pools. After several follows, I hooked and landed a 23" alpers rainbow. I got three more fish in a little more than 15 minutes (all fish were released). Not bad fishing for a picnic! Thanks again for the great story and pics!

steadyrock
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Awesome. Where were you?

Thrillbilly
10-30-2008, 1:39 PM
I've had trips like yours before.... thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. I'll bet those whitefish put a good bend in the 000. It looks like really pretty country up there, too bad the 'cutts didn't want to play. I was up on the South Fork of Bishop Creek last weekend. I took the wife up for a picnic and glanced in the creek and saw some nice trout finning. I always keep a couple of pack rods in the car, with a tiny amount of tackle. I threaded up a spinning rod, tied on a 1/8 oz panther martin. First cast I hooked and landed a 16" rainbow. Walked back to the car where my wife and the dogs were taking a nap. I told her about the fish and poked my way down to the creek right where the car was. I saw fish finning in some bathtub sized pools. After several follows, I hooked and landed a 23" alpers rainbow. I got three more fish in a little more than 15 minutes (all fish were released). Not bad fishing for a picnic! Thanks again for the great story and pics!

A friend of mine saw my report on another forum and sent me a study that was done on the Westslope Cutthroat Trout in that system. After I read it I found out that the first spot I fished (the pace that did well for me on my last trip) was about 5 north east of where they hold this time of the year. And the second spot I fished was about 7 miles west.

And yes even those white fish were fun on the 000WT :D I took that rod to a little creek I go to often a few days before I went on this trip and had a blast. I did not bother to post a report because I left the camera at home (on purpose).

Thrillbilly
10-30-2008, 1:43 PM
Awesome. Where were you?

I was in Idaho ;) :D

I am not trying to be a jerk but you can't expect people to give away their fishing spots especially on public forum.

steadyrock
10-30-2008, 2:28 PM
I was in Idaho ;) :D

I am not trying to be a jerk but you can't expect people to give away their fishing spots especially on public forum.

Idaho's a big place. I wasn't trying to get you to give up your honey-hole, just wondered what region of the state you were in. I think I have a pretty good idea, anyway. I was born in ID (Boise area) and lived there until I moved to OC about 6 years ago. I've spent almost every day since missing it. Your pictures just made me nostalgic, is all.

Anyway, all is well. Glad you enjoyed the trip and thanks for the great pictures. A few of them made their way on to my harddrive. ;)

Thrillbilly
10-30-2008, 3:14 PM
Idaho's a big place. I wasn't trying to get you to give up your honey-hole, just wondered what region of the state you were in. I think I have a pretty good idea, anyway. I was born in ID (Boise area) and lived there until I moved to OC about 6 years ago. I've spent almost every day since missing it. Your pictures just made me nostalgic, is all.

Anyway, all is well. Glad you enjoyed the trip and thanks for the great pictures. A few of them made their way on to my harddrive. ;)

No worries........PM sent.

Darklyte27
10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Looks like an awesome place to gold pan,
nice fish.