PDA

View Full Version : Reloader Placement

Kokanee
12-24-2016, 6:29 AM
Older I get, my imagination and "feel" is going away.
I bought a MEC 9000.
Where is the best bench placement?
Guessing left side of the bench close to the front edge?
Thinking left as the ouput could be guided to a bucket on the floor.

Any reason to mount on the right side of a bench?

Revoman
12-24-2016, 7:02 AM
You may need to move it in somewhat as there will be no room for the empty hulls on that side and you don't wanna be reaching across to the right as that's where the wads are.
The front edge is fine, just not all the way to the left, you need to leave enough room for the empty hulls.
You could mount it in the center of the bench, but then you may need to cut a hole in the top for a bucket below. (I have a friend that did that dropping the fulls into an ammo can, not a bucket.)
You could also install a metal plate that hangs over the front edge so everything could drop straight down, leaving the entire benchtop for reloading stuff. Then it wouldn't matter where it sits.

the_tunaman
12-24-2016, 7:41 AM
I like mine on the right side. Hulls and shells take up the most room. I have a plastic tray I use on the right of the press to hold wads, which takes up far less room than the box with hulls and the plastic bowl I use for the loaded shells to drop into.

stevec223
12-24-2016, 8:14 AM
I mount my press on the Oak press mount,,, with the mounting brackets that allow you to easily remove the press... Available at Presisionreloading.com ... I can put the press anywhere on the bench and can remove the press with the quick release mounts to put it away and mount a different press on it... I add a couple bags of shot on it for more stability when I find my spot on the bench... I really like the set-up.. Cheers... (my linking ability not so great,, sorry !!)...

CSACANNONEER
12-24-2016, 8:26 AM
I mount my press on the Oak press mount,,, with the mounting brackets that allow you to easily remove the press... Available at Presisionreloading.com ... I can put the press anywhere on the bench and can remove the press with the quick release mounts to put it away and mount a different press on it... I add a couple bags of shot on it for more stability when I find my spot on the bench... I really like the set-up.. Cheers... (my linking ability not so great,, sorry !!)...

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!pp=60&l=MM&i=OAK16

stevec223
12-24-2016, 8:38 AM
I guess my spelling could use a little brushing up too !!.. Or was it a auto correct thing ???... lol... Thanks for getting the link up Mr. C... Cheers...

Newshooter
12-24-2016, 8:39 AM
I have my 9000 about 12" from the left edge and about 6" from the front. I use. A Stanley plastic stacking bin for empties on the left side and another for the wads on the right. The loaded shells go into an empty case with a notch for the ramp. Works great as it saves space while ease of the left habpnd puts the hull in the machine and the right hand inserts the wad. This mounting also gives plenty of room to operate the handle but keeps the handle far back enough so you aren't knocking it when you walk by.

One tip, I mounted my machine using carriage bolts and wing nuts through the bench top in case I ever need to remove it. I also put a rimmed cookie sheet between the press and the bench in case of spills. The lip on the cookie sheet catches dropped powder or shot preventing a mess all over the bench. This also allows me to use a kitchen sifter to separate the powder and shot mix and put it back into the loader instead of wasting it.

Kokanee
12-24-2016, 9:01 AM
Great tips all!

I have my 9000 about 12" from the left edge and about 6" from the front. I use. A Stanley plastic stacking bin for empties on the left side and another for the wads on the right. The loaded shells go into an empty case with a notch for the ramp. Works great as it saves space while ease of the left habpnd puts the hull in the machine and the right hand inserts the wad. This mounting also gives plenty of room to operate the handle but keeps the handle far back enough so you aren't knocking it when you walk by.

One tip, I mounted my machine using carriage bolts and wing nuts through the bench top in case I ever need to remove it. I also put a rimmed cookie sheet between the press and the bench in case of spills. The lip on the cookie sheet catches dropped powder or shot preventing a mess all over the bench. This also allows me to use a kitchen sifter to separate the powder and shot mix and put it back into the loader instead of wasting it.

I was going to put tee nuts on the bottom side so I don't have to pull the drawer out and deal with the underside.
Do everything from the top side.

Heck of a idea on the cookie sheet!!!!!
I'll definitely make a mess at some point, and I don't like waste.

MrElectric03
12-24-2016, 1:29 PM
I haven't mounted my 9000g yet but plan on the left side of the bench. I'll leave enough room to have bins for wads and empties and run a detachable tube off the ramp and down to a bucket. I'll probably use the mec mount or similar so I can swap with other mecs.