PDA

View Full Version : Montana White-tail hunt

moulton
10-27-2008, 9:27 PM
yup, its that time of the year again and I'm heading out to Montana to do some White-tail doe hunting :D. I'm bringing my Savage 111 in .270 with some reloads using some 130 gr. Nosler ballistic-tip bullets. Should be great weather; low 60's and high 50's up until Sunday so hopefully I'll bag one early. I'll post pics every few days :cool:

moulton
10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
So yesterday I had a ticket from Santa Rosa to Seattle and then on to Helena. I checked in and handed over my luggage (suitcase and gun case). I make my way through security and wait for the plane to land....they said it would be late because of fog. 15minutes later I can see a huge patch of blue sky and visibility is ~3 miles.
The lady on the intercom came on and said the plane from La had to divert to Seattle because they could not land in the fog.....and my flight was canceled grrr....

I go pick up my luggage and hop in the line to get another flight to Montana. I call the reservations number and was able to talk to a Canadian (eh? lol), He was able to get me on a flight to Vegas, then a flight to Seattle and then a flight to Great Falls and then finally a flight to Bozeman. I took it and spent the next 13 hours flying all across the west..... lets see, I got some cool photos of the Mothballed Navy fleet, Yosemite, the strip in Vegas, Seattle, Mt. Hood ad finally landing in Bozeman.... it was verry exhausting but at least I made it to Montana.

This Morning I woke up at 6:00 am and got ready to go hunting. It was a warm 32 degrees Fahrenheit, my uncle and I met up with one of his freinds and we went into a farmer's field and hid behind an old trailer for about 1/2 an hour for the sun to come up, just before it did I spotted two bucks ducking under a barbed wire fence 100 yards away. I slowly cylced the bolt on my .270 Winchester and both of them stopped in their tracks and looked right at me. I froze for a good 30secondsand then they started moving slowly. I brought the rifle to my shoulder and got a good support. When they were 150yards out I pulled the trigger and worked the action as fast as possible, my uncle took a shot with his and went over the deer by about a foot. I got settled in and took another shot. This time he slowed took a few steps and collapsed. We waited a few minutes to make sure he was dead and walked over.

My first shot had hit his leg and had shattered the bone sending shards into the gut, my second had hit the bottom of his rib cage and sent a chunk of bone into his lungs. lets just say I have never felt so dirty in all my life.....I was up to my elbows in Blood, fecal matter, urine and other stuff I dont even want to know what it was.

Later all- Moulton

P.S. I almost forgot, at the Vegas airport I saw the most hilarious thing, a drunk ~25 year old missed her flight to Santa Rosa and started Cussing out the airline people.....LVPD was called and she got taken away in hand-cuffs - epic lol

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/IMG_0233.jpg
:D

graniteob
10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Did you check to see if you gun was still sighted in when you got there ?

Ugly Dwarf
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Ouch! Santa Rosa to Vegas to Seattle to Great Falls to Bozeman... Gotta love that routing.

I know it would would have been longer to drive, but 13 hours to travel 1000 miles pretty much sucks.

Sorry to hear about the less than optimal kill.

moulton
10-30-2008, 5:08 PM
Ouch! Santa Rosa to Vegas to Seattle to Great Falls to Bozeman... Gotta love that routing.

I know it would would have been longer to drive, but 13 hours to travel 1000 miles pretty much sucks.

Sorry to hear about the less than optimal kill.

yeah, the routing sucked....:(

The kill wasn't that bad, first shot I thought I missed and the second shot took him down after two steps. The gutting was and experience to say the least....I had to stop about 3 times and get some fresh air or I was going to vomit :eek:. Bright side is that almost no meat at all was damaged, we'll be butchering him tomorrow :D

Fjold
10-30-2008, 7:21 PM
Congratulations!

If you hit them low and forward you don't have to deal with the fecal matter.
(twist ties and rubber gloves help a lot)

:D