PDA

View Full Version : Why are shotshell powders 14 oz instead of 1 lb?

mrbigsteel
12-17-2016, 2:11 PM
I'm new to reloading shotshells. Have noticed that Hodgdon shotshell powders (ex: International, Titewad) come in 14-oz bottles instead of 1-pound bottles like rifle powders do. Is there some reason or tradition for this? Or is it the same reason that cereal boxes get smaller over time? :)

BigBronco
12-17-2016, 2:14 PM
This is relatively new. Lower quantity instead of price increase.

acoop101
12-17-2016, 2:48 PM
If you look at the fill level when you open then up they are filled right up to the top, shot gun powders are much less dense than rifle powder so instead of having different size bottles that have to be approved by DOT they just put all they can in the bottles they have. Take a look at trail boss which is super fluffy, it only fits 9oz in a one pound bottle.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

stilly
12-17-2016, 7:48 PM
Different strokes for different folks. Some folks have smaller bottles (VV) and we still give them the benefit of the doubt without reading the labels, they are less than a lb but we still call them a lb.

Other folks like to be real and give us a full lb... - And oh yes, we will be charged the same no matter what, so maybe bottles will shrink down to 10oz in the next few years, and the 8lb bottles will become 80 oz... yeah...

I really hope I am wrong on this one.

SAid everyone else: "Don't worry, you ARE wrong..."