PDA

View Full Version : guided hunt costs

bruceflinch
10-26-2008, 9:04 PM
Was thinking about going on a guided pig hunt in Nor Cal. What would you Fellas expect I might pay? Does the guide do the butchering? What about the meat distribution..

Vepr62
10-27-2008, 9:27 AM
The cheapest i think is here http://www.pigpointranch.com/ I've hunted there a couple of years ago. You almost heve 100% chance for a shot. And the time now is good, not too hot. Give Mike a call.
Vasiliy

G-Man WC
10-27-2008, 9:13 PM
Wow $450 is not cheap for a hog. Vepr62, I see they raise pigs for sale. Are you hunting pen raised hogs at this location or is it fair chase wild game? Not trying to start anything, just trying to get info. Thanks -g

Wink
10-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Acyually $450 is not bad at all. I no nothing about that ranch, as far fair chase or not. Most ranches in california are fair chase, and run a min of $550 with many now getting up in the $700 to $800 range.

djbooya
10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
That 450 isn't bad...another place I looked at was in the 700 range... I may go check these guys out...

G-Man WC
10-28-2008, 5:29 PM
Well we'll see how many people will continue to plunk down $450 + on a regular basis to hunt a hog in this economy. The party boat fishing business has taken a major league hit with the price of gas and no salmon. There's plenty of BLM land to hunt.
Just my 2centavos. -g

djbooya
10-28-2008, 5:37 PM
Well we'll see how many people will continue to plunk down $450 + on a regular basis to hunt a hog in this economy. The party boat fishing business has taken a major league hit with the price of gas and no salmon. There's plenty of BLM land to hunt.
Just my 2centavos. -g

Probably true, but I don't want to go on a hike with my rifle... I'd really like to see some spoils for my first time out...rather then get frustrated and lost on BLM land trying to find a hog since I don't know how to do the "hunting/tracking" portion at all yet...

Vepr62
10-28-2008, 5:43 PM
That's a fenced (about 80 acres) property (with some steep hills) where they release ferral pigs that they breed. It is fair chase as far as I am concerned, and be prepared for a lot of walking up and down hills, in some places on all four.
V.

spectr17
10-29-2008, 1:44 AM
That's a fenced (about 80 acres) property (with some steep hills) where they release ferral pigs that they breed. It is fair chase as far as I am concerned.

You may want to look up the definition of Fair Chase.

B&C's version

FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

Fjold
10-29-2008, 7:23 AM
That's a fenced (about 80 acres) property (with some steep hills) where they release ferral pigs that they breed. It is fair chase as far as I am concerned, and be prepared for a lot of walking up and down hills, in some places on all four.
V.

80 acres of high fence is "canned hunting" and bears no resemblance to fair chase. It is shooting not hunting.

Fire in the Hole
10-29-2008, 7:38 AM
Wild Hog hunting is about the best big game hunting that CA has available. $450.00 is consistent with the going rate. I've seen none cheaper. The guides do a lot of work. The guide I use is Mustang Guide Service out of King City. (831) 386-9027. Frank Morasci. He only hunts on weekends. I've been using him for about 20 years. 100% rate so far. All fair chase on truly wild hogs. He has acess of hundreds of private land. I've tried the BLM and Ft. Hunter Ligget hunts, but I've never found a hog. Frank uses dogs to sniff them up sometimes. The best thing about hog hunting is that's is 365 days a year, cheap tags, and the meat is great.

pieeater
10-29-2008, 7:10 PM
Just my 2centavos. -g

BLM pretty much sucks for pigs. I have legaly taken pigs on BLM when I was younger. You really have to get back in some nasty ****. A lot of weirdos out there too, prepare to get your truck broken into camp ripped off etc.

pieeater
10-29-2008, 7:17 PM
V.
I've hunted a couple high fence ranches in Texas and South Africa. The animals there can be very tough since they are hunted year round.