PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Duds

TheAquaSpaceCow
12-14-2016, 8:17 PM
Went shooting today. Had about 8x57mm 6 reloads click. Thinking of how many of the rest of the 87 are duds as well.

Dented primer, no ignition. I didn't even hear the primer pop.

Is it because I may be a moron noob who just got into reloading and left my cases a bit damp with wet tumbling (not dried thouroughly)? If it is damp, is it powder or primer? No way to know I guess.

Guess I'll salvage the clicks when I find them and re-prime those loads.

49.7 Grains H380
200 Grain Sierra Match King
Winchester Large Rifle Primers
Random PPU Brass and Surplus '44, '42, '41 Boxer Brass

kcheung2
12-14-2016, 8:35 PM
It could be wet cases or it could be the firing pin. Have you disassembled the bolt & cleaned out the firing pin channel? It may be filled with cosmoline. You know how much .323 projectiles cost so definitely disassemble those duds & reuse the projectiles. I presume you have either one of those hammer-looking kinetic bullet pullers or a press-based puller. When you've disassembled a case you can also check the powder for clumping.

tangent: You're the only other person I've encountered that uses H380. I formerly used it but have since switched to IMR4064.

pacrat
12-14-2016, 9:39 PM
I'm kind of an answer a question with a question fella. Not enough info to form reasonable conclusion as to cause.

kcheung2, asked a good one.

Are you sure your primers were firmly seated?

Have you checked your firing pin protrusion?

What type of rifle?....... 8x57 guessing milsurp Mauser.

TheAquaSpaceCow
12-15-2016, 11:06 AM
Wz.29 mauser

Primers were fully seated and had big *** dents from the firing pin. I used to use 4064 but it's sold out everywhere so I went with the next cheapest option of h380 lol

TheAquaSpaceCow
12-15-2016, 1:12 PM
Deconstructed rounds. Water left over in casings. Casings dried and reusable. Primers corrected so I replaced those. Dried out the powder. Reused bullets. All good now.

dwalker
12-15-2016, 1:20 PM
How old are the primers? I just had a bunch of Winchester SPP not go bang on demand.

TheAquaSpaceCow
12-15-2016, 3:53 PM
How old are the primers? I just had a bunch of Winchester SPP not go bang on demand.

A few months. It was water in the brass that corroded them. Powder clumped up near primer.

zvardan
12-16-2016, 8:15 AM
I wouldn't use powder that you dried. Just toss it.