PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Feeding Die-Mixed Feelings

croue
12-14-2016, 1:55 PM
Just added a bullet feeder die on my Hornady LNL AP press.
trying it for 40 cal loads so far.
Works slick! No complaints about the function at all.
Setting the expander in the powder drop took a little thinking, but it makes sense and works well.

But it works so well, that I'm almost too fast now. I can load a few hundred rounds in no time. I'd say at least 2X easily over loading both case and bullet manually.

I almost bought a case feeder last week, now I'm glad I didn't. I would spend almost no time in my garage then. I'd have to shoot 4X as much just to keep up with my reloading. :rolleyes: I guess I like the rhythm and process of it all to want it to become a gumball or slot machine where you just keep pulling the handle and ammo falls out. Is that weird?

Happy with how it works, but I don't want to speed up any more. I think any more would take ALL the fun out of it. YMMV of course.

C

SonofWWIIDI
12-14-2016, 1:58 PM
Buy the case feeder...make more ammo!!!! Until the house starts to sag, you can't have enough ammo.

:D

stilly
12-14-2016, 3:25 PM
Just added a bullet feeder die on my Hornady LNL AP press.
trying it for 40 cal loads so far.
Works slick! No complaints about the function at all.
Setting the expander in the powder drop took a little thinking, but it makes sense and works well.

But it works so well, that I'm almost too fast now. I can load a few hundred rounds in no time. I'd say at least 2X easily over loading both case and bullet manually.

I almost bought a case feeder last week, now I'm glad I didn't. I would spend almost no time in my garage then. I'd have to shoot 4X as much just to keep up with my reloading. :rolleyes: I guess I like the rhythm and process of it all to want it to become a gumball or slot machine where you just keep pulling the handle and ammo falls out. Is that weird?

Happy with how it works, but I don't want to speed up any more. I think any more would take ALL the fun out of it. YMMV of course.

C

Have you gone MAD my fellow brother?

That is the ONLY reason to get a progressive, to SPEED UP. Then you dropped another 400 for a bulletfeeder setup- that is like saying that you are driving your 2004 Lamborghini to work not to go faster, but to just take a break from the Mercedes S600 that gets great MPG and gives you a luxurious ride...

That is like saying you want to drive a dragster instead of a monster truck.

If you did not want to go faster, why did you get a bulletfeeder? OWN IT! Faster with the same quality of ammo? Now you have more time to spend doing other things with family and kids and- OH, do you hate your family?

Better yet, that is like dropping a super charger on your daily driver just to see how it works out. You do not do those things if you do not want to go faster. Just increase your ammo storage and you are good. I am sure you have the capacity to control your shooting speeds and frequency...

No go buy that case feeder and look at it this way: Having all of that speed is like having a spare tire. Do you REALLY need it all of the time? Nope. But when that ONE moment arises and you DO need it, you will be very happy that you have it since it is better to not need it and have it then to need it and not have it.

:shrug:

:stuart:

croue
12-14-2016, 4:46 PM
Ha! Good critiques.

But I didn't drop 400 on the bullet feeder. I got the DIE only. with the tubes that go on top. Investment is like 45-50 bucks per caliber. (and yes, the 9mm is on order, 45 to follow) I think it does set the bullet straighter than I did manually to be completely honest. Maybe better ammo even!

I love my family. My family loves me (I hope), but they love the sane version of me. That requires some sort of hobby activities to stay sane. I can of course go make some more 270 which I spend a lot more time getting just right when I need some 'garage therapy'.

I know, I know, these are 1st world problems definitely. I should stop whining and start going to the range twice per week to use up all this newfound ammo capacity! I've already moved to storing it loose in cans and only putting it into boxes for special rounds, and when I need just a few hundred rounds in my range case.

C

croue
12-14-2016, 4:48 PM
And I still feel the draw of the case feeder. If for nothing else than when I'm straight up decapping for case preparation of brass of unknown provenance. That sh**s just boring.

croue
12-14-2016, 4:49 PM
"That is the ONLY reason to get a progressive, to SPEED UP. Then you dropped another 400 for a bulletfeeder setup- that is like saying that you are driving your 2004 Lamborghini to work not to go faster, but to just take a break from the Mercedes S600 that gets great MPG and gives you a luxurious ride... "

Ha! Stilly, you got me rolling on the floor. Whiskey out the nose and everything! Like I said, 1st world problems for sure.

stilly
12-15-2016, 1:42 AM
Ha! Good critiques.

But I didn't drop 400 on the bullet feeder. I got the DIE only. with the tubes that go on top. Investment is like 45-50 bucks per caliber. (and yes, the 9mm is on order, 45 to follow) I think it does set the bullet straighter than I did manually to be completely honest. Maybe better ammo even!

I love my family. My family loves me (I hope), but they love the sane version of me. That requires some sort of hobby activities to stay sane. I can of course go make some more 270 which I spend a lot more time getting just right when I need some 'garage therapy'.

I know, I know, these are 1st world problems definitely. I should stop whining and start going to the range twice per week to use up all this newfound ammo capacity! I've already moved to storing it loose in cans and only putting it into boxes for special rounds, and when I need just a few hundred rounds in my range case.

C

Okay THAT was clearly MAH BAD. I see. Yes, you did not drop a super charger on your daily driver, you simply added a cat-back Borla exhaust to it... So you hate all the people that drive to work around you then... Okay that is fine.

Geeze. I started right, but got 1 inch into it and DIE zoomed right by me... OH yes, because it seems that nobody would really put a feeder -Oh wait, there WAS that one post from ARF.COM back in 2011 or something with the Hornady sticks and what not... Yes yes...

I have purchased the rubbermaid plastic containers to store extra ammo in. They seem to work, but ammo cans would certainly be better.

Yes. First world problems indeed. I joke about having those from time to time but recently I have decided to not be scared off by them. I can't help it if we live in the greatest country on the planet even IF this state is ****ed in the head... :) Now GO GET A FEEDER!

DougMurray
12-15-2016, 6:08 AM
Hey, Croue. I also use the LnL bullet feeder dies with the plastic tubes to feed bullets. One thing you will learn quickly is that not all bullets of the same caliber will feed the same. When I get mine (40S&W and 45ACP) working for plated, I have trouble with full jacketed, for example, and lead won't feed at all. I haven't tried coated but I'd expect they would be another issue. Maybe Stilly can help out with comments on coated. The net of it is to try to stay with the same bullet type as much as you can and you will be much happier.

Faded
12-15-2016, 6:21 AM
Have you gone MAD my fellow brother?

That is the ONLY reason to get a progressive, to SPEED UP. Then you dropped another 400 for a bulletfeeder setup- that is like saying that you are driving your 2004 Lamborghini to work not to go faster, but to just take a break from the Mercedes S600 that gets great MPG and gives you a luxurious ride...

That is like saying you want to drive a dragster instead of a monster truck.

If you did not want to go faster, why did you get a bulletfeeder? OWN IT! Faster with the same quality of ammo? Now you have more time to spend doing other things with family and kids and- OH, do you hate your family?

Better yet, that is like dropping a super charger on your daily driver just to see how it works out. You do not do those things if you do not want to go faster. Just increase your ammo storage and you are good. I am sure you have the capacity to control your shooting speeds and frequency...

No go buy that case feeder and look at it this way: Having all of that speed is like having a spare tire. Do you REALLY need it all of the time? Nope. But when that ONE moment arises and you DO need it, you will be very happy that you have it since it is better to not need it and have it then to need it and not have it.

:shrug:

:stuart:
Hahaha love the response

Barbarosa
12-15-2016, 8:15 AM
I got the case feeder but not the bullet feeder because I usually load wadcutters and they don't work with the bullet feeder. The case feeder works great.

croue
12-15-2016, 8:46 AM
Since I'm a total newbie with the bullet feeder die, it's good to be forewarned about different bullets working differently. The 40 cal Berry's plated bullets worked great with no real adjustments or contortions on my part. But I will be loading some jacketed and some extremes in the future.
I also load wadcutters for my 357/38 sometimes. Don't have the feeder for that caliber but interested in what the "watchouts" may be and any special adjustments to help.

Don't ever plan on loading lead with the dies as it sounds like that is not good from other posts I've seen.

So what else should I be aware of as I cut my teeth on my new accessory?
C

wbunning
12-15-2016, 9:41 AM
I have the bullet feeder dies for 9mm, .40 and .45. I got them before Hornady had the plastic tubes, so I made my own from brass tubing. I just bought 12" pre-cut tubes of the approximate diameter from the local hardware shop, then wrapped electrical tape around one end until it fits snugly into the die, drilled holes for small hitch pins to keep the bullets in place.

The dies required some polishing of the internals, and some fiddling to get them adjusted, but they work fine with plated or fmj bullets. They don't play well with lubed cast bullets, but I haven't tried them with cast powder coated. My problem now is that I have gotten used to using the RCBS lockout powder cop and Lee FC dies, so there's no room for the bullet feeder unless I run my brass through the LNL to size and prime first. Sometime's I do that when I have some free time to pre-process a bunch of brass that way. Then I have brass ready to go and there is room for the feeder die.

stilly
12-15-2016, 12:24 PM
I have the bullet feeder dies for 9mm, .40 and .45. I got them before Hornady had the plastic tubes, so I made my own from brass tubing. I just bought 12" pre-cut tubes of the approximate diameter from the local hardware shop, then wrapped electrical tape around one end until it fits snugly into the die, drilled holes for small hitch pins to keep the bullets in place.

The dies required some polishing of the internals, and some fiddling to get them adjusted, but they work fine with plated or fmj bullets. They don't play well with lubed cast bullets, but I haven't tried them with cast powder coated. My problem now is that I have gotten used to using the RCBS lockout powder cop and Lee FC dies, so there's no room for the bullet feeder unless I run my brass through the LNL to size and prime first. Sometime's I do that when I have some free time to pre-process a bunch of brass that way. Then I have brass ready to go and there is room for the feeder die.

Booo! Hiss! Yall really gonna make me have to buy this damn setup now so that I can try the PC pills with it?

Exdc
12-15-2016, 1:12 PM
Buy the case feeder...make more ammo!!!! Until the house starts to sag, you can't have enough ammo.

:D

Store ammo in the basement, not the attic. No house sag! (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wbunning
12-15-2016, 3:54 PM
Booo! Hiss! Yall really gonna make me have to buy this damn setup now so that I can try the PC pills with it?

Go for it. But I'm thinking that my shake-n-baked PCs won't feed well. The finish is fine to load and shoot, but might hang up in the die, which seems to only like the really sluck sides of plated and jacketed.

That said, you KNOW you want at least one of the feeders to play with. Now you have an excuse!

stilly
12-15-2016, 6:59 PM
Damn you...

Now I am gonna go buy a Hornady feeder just to play with the PC pills and model it after that guy from ARF.COM Except, I might actually cut a hole in the ceiling of the garage and let the top of the stick poke out with the shingles... Then I will have a 500+ bullet capacity feeder stick ceiling wrecker thingamajigger...

croue
12-16-2016, 9:38 AM
BTW - don't know anything about the plastic tubes. I bought the Hornday tubes, and they are aluminiumumum. Thought about buying the stock and making my own. But I decided to just give them their 28 bucks for the 3 tubes and be done with it.

C

DougMurray
12-16-2016, 1:57 PM
They are thinwall plastic tubing and usually come in 36" lengths. I use the 1/2" for 40S&W and the 9/16" OD for 45 ACP. The 45 ACP aren't a real good fit for the bullets but fit well into the die. The 1/2" OD tubes work very well for 40S&W but need to be shimmed around the bottom to fit tight in the die. I paid a little over $3 each plus nominal shipping so pretty cheap. Got the idea from The High Road site.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/28-bullet-feeder-for-any-progressive.610350/

stilly
12-17-2016, 12:57 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeap.

That was the same one I saw, but I think I saw it reposted at ARF.com...