PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my first buck!

heyjerr
10-25-2008, 11:18 PM
You ever seen that shirt/bumper sticker that says "Vegetarian - an old indian word for "bad hunter"? For the longest time, it felt like that was aimed right at me. Well, after being a responsible hunter and paying my dues since 1995, I finally managed to bag my first buck.

Monday, 10/6 followed two days of rain and fog, so the conditions were excellent but it was the last hunt before we had to pack up camp and go. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with the thought of another luckless attempt so I had a hard time sitting still and waiting for something to happen. Keeping in mind that I had to get back to camp early to pack out (hey, my buddy wanted to get back to his kids), I figured I had to take matters into my own hands.

The ground was soft so noise wasn't a problem. A little before 9am, I managed to wake a buck after getting within 20 yards of his bed. I didn't know he was there, but I'd been quiet. He took off up the hill running away from me at 11 o'clock. I was using my new Browning A-bolt and it scored on this first shot, but at that distance I hit high. Not judging his speed correctly, I also hit a bit to the rear. A spine shot...not perfect. A quick followup before he could move much further and it was all over.

http://heyjerr.smugmug.com/photos/388829601_H9z99-L.jpg

He's already gutted in this shot, hence the mess. 4x3 with a nice eyeguard on the 4-side.

After the gutting, we ended up quartering it to take it uphill. After caping so it could be mounted, the end weight on the butcher's hook was 82 pounds. Because I'd ruined some good steak on the rear, I only ended up with 14 pounds of steak but also came out with 10 pounds of burger and 26 pounds of sausage. 50 pounds of meat well prepared and vacuum sealed by the good folks at Willow Glen Meats and I definitely no longer fall into the category of "vegetarian" (not that I ever was in the first place).

And to my buddy who was very late getting home to see his kids, no apology was necessary. The barbecue two weeks later was awesome.

Frijolito1988
10-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Wow congrats dude! How was the whole gutting part ? That is the only iffy part of hunting for me lol im not sure how mu stomach is gonna take it when im doing that, but you live and learn and get over it i suppose, either way congrats !

chickenfried
10-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Congrats!

steadyrock
10-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Awesome! Congratulations. Which zone were you in?

DVLDOC
10-26-2008, 12:13 AM
:clap: CONGRATS, HEYJERR! :clap:

heyjerr
10-26-2008, 12:14 AM
I was in B1 east of Covelo.

The gutting took a lot longer than I thought it would, but mostly because it was the first time I'd even seen it done. One of the other guys in my group got a small one the day earlier but it was gutted before I made it back to camp. Still, I had the guys go over the details and at least had fresh reference points in my mind when doing it myself. I'll do better next time but I could've done much worse if I hadn't seen it done.

I suggest you do as they advised me later....look it up on YouTube. Smell was not an issue. The ticks weren't a problem until we wanted to carefully skin it rather than do a quickie removal.....in which case they wouldn't have been a consideration except for when we were carrying it uphill.

I took the easy way out and was carrying long gloves to keep from being a mess while carrying my gear out.

pieeater
10-26-2008, 7:12 PM
Do you carry pig and bear tags with you up there? Lots of them in the covelo area.

hybridatsun350
10-26-2008, 7:44 PM
Congrats on the great looking buck! I was up in B5 this year, and didn't see a single legal buck! :cool:

heyjerr
10-26-2008, 7:49 PM
My buddies reported seeing a bear but I've yet to see one up there. We've hunted there for years and none of us have spotted a pig up there either. Not saying they aren't there....we've just never seen 'em.

pieeater
10-27-2008, 6:06 PM
My buddies reported seeing a bear but I've yet to see one up there. We've hunted there for years and none of us have spotted a pig up there either. Not saying they aren't there....we've just never seen 'em.

Are you hunting private or public? I hunt on private west of covelo. There is a good taxidermist in Willits if you dont have one.

JeffM
10-27-2008, 6:12 PM
The gutting took a lot longer than I thought it would, but mostly because it was the first time I'd even seen it done. One of the other guys in my group got a small one the day earlier but it was gutted before I made it back to camp. Still, I had the guys go over the details and at least had fresh reference points in my mind when doing it myself. I'll do better next time but I could've done much worse if I hadn't seen it done.

I will give your hunting partners a big FAIL for that.

I gutted and skinned many a-buck before I actually got one myself. Cost of my uncles taking me hunting I guess. I didn't really appreciate it at the time. I do now looking back at it.

Congratulations!

JeffM
10-27-2008, 6:13 PM
Are you hunting private or public? I hunt on private west of covelo. There is a good taxidermist in Willits if you dont have one.

Do you have contact info? PM me if you would. Thanks.

Bobula
10-27-2008, 7:02 PM
Very nice kill :D

robairto
10-27-2008, 7:45 PM
Right arm!!!!!

G-Man WC
10-27-2008, 7:47 PM
Heyjerr, Congrats on your nice looking buck. Since it was your first, did your party make you eat a piece of raw heart? Congrats again! -g

Wink
10-27-2008, 10:34 PM
NIce buck! congrats

heyjerr
10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm hunting public land. I don't have access to anyone with private land.

I live in Mountain View, so Willits is a bit of a drive to have the taxidermy done. My uncle is big into game hunting, so I'm using his guy down in Gilroy.

PatriotnMore
10-28-2008, 1:32 PM
Very nice! congratulations.

Mosby
10-28-2008, 7:58 PM
Congratulations on the great buck, I am eating tag-soup again this year. Looks like good open country. In B1 (Klamath River) mostly freakin' brush from USFS mis-management.

hnoppenberger
10-28-2008, 8:04 PM
im really ticked cause ive been AGGRESSIVLY hunting this season, my first deer attempt.

no luck yet, but i dont feel so bad hearing what you've gone through.

i absolutly hate watching hunting shows now. they are so unrealistic.

i still have another week, then a doe tag attempt with a friend in SD bow only ...

spectr17
10-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Nice buck heyjerr.