PDA

View Full Version : So when do you toss out your brass?

Ranchogunner
12-11-2016, 1:54 PM
I shoot a lot and I collect range brass, so I accumulate large amounts which I periodically process in batches. I clean them thoroughly and then size/de-cap on a single stage press, so I can take a clear look at each piece that I handle, especially the mouth. If I see any imperfections, I toss it out. I do not keep track of every round I shoot as to how many times it has been reloaded, so I have once fired mixed in with 2 or 3 or 4 times fired.

So does anybody have a system of throwing out used brass, or do you just examine it and toss it out when it looks bad, like I do?

I am currently processing a few thousand 9mm and I notice a few cases have a triangular shaped scar at the mouth, so I am throwing those out. So what causes this scar? See the picture. Does anybody think these should NOT be thrown out?

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa128/Lonepine_2007/Delton%20020_1.jpg (http://s199.photobucket.com/user/Lonepine_2007/media/Delton%20020_1.jpg.html)

baih777
12-11-2016, 2:05 PM
Just keep a box or bucket under the workbench. Take it to the recycler when its full. But dirty brass is what they call it. .085 a pound or lower. Even if you clean it and remove the primers same price.

jericho89
12-11-2016, 2:10 PM
It looks like those marks are from extraction. I personally would use those at least one more time and reevaluate from there. But I shoot brass till it is dented beyond straightening or cracked. I also do not load to max.

robert101
12-11-2016, 2:27 PM
Yea my thoughts too. I'd resize it and shoot it again. With pistol brass I only toss when it splits or primer pockets get to big.

pacrat
12-11-2016, 2:47 PM
Those are "PORT DINGS".

Caused as the empty case was "ejected" out the port and hit the slide.

No biggy. Load em, CHOOT EM. ;)

If at some future time, during your individual visual inspections. You notice crack forming. Discard at that time.

JM2c

tonyjr
12-11-2016, 3:00 PM
I would also check the bases . The 357 , 44 and 50 AE -
maybe 1 in 400 are bent betony fixing or cracked . Maybe
1 in 600 on 45 acp . There are 8 others that reload here
and we all pick up range brass . A 5 gallon bucket gets the
when in douth - toss it out buck . The buck gets a big hammer
and it is sold with the plastic bottles - but anything over 10
dollars of brass / copper they mail a check . A small dent is
O K [by small , a nickel should not touch bottom . That is my
standard . I have had cases split in barrel , but not since I
started using the nickel test [ mostly on magnum's ]

The notches are from catching on something . You are
probably O K on the 9 mm as long as you load under max .

foxtrotuniformlima
12-11-2016, 3:20 PM
Shoot it til it cracks/splits.

I too have a 5 gal bucket that all non reload brass goes in. $$$

rcslotcar
12-11-2016, 3:34 PM
Process brass till there is actual damage. That still appears to be usable. Throw away any, "You" don't think is good.

'ol shooter
12-11-2016, 4:15 PM
When the primer goes in too easy, I put a black stripe across the bottom and toss it next time I shoot it. Cracks go in the trash, unless they are ones that can be shortened for Lever Revolution slugs. If the bullet seats too easily, they get tossed too.

Ranchogunner
12-11-2016, 4:32 PM
Yea my thoughts too. I'd resize it and shoot it again. With pistol brass I only toss when it splits or primer pockets get to big.

Yeah I probably toss out more quickly than others mainly since I have thousands of cases and its no big deal to lose a few.

bohoki
12-11-2016, 4:55 PM
i would load them they look like they were shot out of a cz75

Ranchogunner
12-11-2016, 5:12 PM
Shoot it til it cracks/splits.

I too have a 5 gal bucket that all non reload brass goes in. $$$

Yeah a brass bucket is a must. I think I will loosen my standards and reload everything that is not cracked or split or really banged up. I see a lot more splits and cracks in rifle cases than pistol cases

So does anybody keep careful track of the times they reload pistol rounds, and then throw them out after a certain number of reloads?

That is WAY to organized for me.

Ranchogunner
12-11-2016, 5:20 PM
i would load them they look like they were shot out of a cz75

Well if they were they were from the range brass I have picked up. I have a Glock 17 and a Browning Hi power

ElvenSoul
12-11-2016, 5:28 PM
I look for Glock Smiles

jericho89
12-11-2016, 6:57 PM
So does anybody keep careful track of the times they reload pistol rounds, and then throw them out after a certain number of reloads?

That is WAY to organized for me.

Nope, I know 45acp you get about 50 or so reloads out of them before they start showing any stress. Most pistol cases are lost before they are shot out.

stilly
12-11-2016, 11:42 PM
I shoot a lot and I collect range brass, so I accumulate large amounts which I periodically process in batches. I clean them thoroughly and then size/de-cap on a single stage press, so I can take a clear look at each piece that I handle, especially the mouth. If I see any imperfections, I toss it out. I do not keep track of every round I shoot as to how many times it has been reloaded, so I have once fired mixed in with 2 or 3 or 4 times fired.

So does anybody have a system of throwing out used brass, or do you just examine it and toss it out when it looks bad, like I do?

I am currently processing a few thousand 9mm and I notice a few cases have a triangular shaped scar at the mouth, so I am throwing those out. So what causes this scar? See the picture. Does anybody think these should NOT be thrown out?

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa128/Lonepine_2007/Delton%20020_1.jpg (http://s199.photobucket.com/user/Lonepine_2007/media/Delton%20020_1.jpg.html)

Those are nothing. I once reloaded and shot a .45 ACP that had a small crack that was about twice the length of those and it was fine, I even reloaded it again and fired it, two more times and the crack did not grow. But if the crack gets too big to where it changes the harmonics of your brass and will not hold the bullet in, then it is time to toss it.

You can typically get around 20+ firings from any straight walled pistol brass cases before they are out of sami spec and start to not work very well.

Jimi Jah
12-12-2016, 9:55 AM
Rifle brass is sold off to the reloaders after about 5/6 reloads. I don't want to take any risks. I shoot a fresh supply of Federal XM193 brass to replace it.

I wonder what the reloaders do with well worn brass?

andyman
12-12-2016, 10:50 PM
It doesn't really matter how many times its be reloaded. You can just anneal the brass to bring life back into the brasss (assuming its not cracked or damaged). The process of reloading and using the brass work hardens the metal and annealing softens it back up and restores the brass.

Inkman
12-13-2016, 12:19 AM
If it case gauges (barrel drop check) it gets shot. End of story.

Al

WMG
12-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Back when I begun reloading I adopted a policy of after 6 firings it gets tossed regardless of caliber.
Is that too soon?
In some instances it is , no doubt.
But I dislike problems and I figure after 6 firings , I got my money out of it.
There have been a few instances I went to 7 or 8 if I was behind in getting new ....... but 6 is my across the board limit which most will find to be too early and in some cases I agree ...... but my policy is my policy :)

jericho89
12-13-2016, 1:40 PM
Back when I begun reloading I adopted a policy of after 6 firings it gets tossed regardless of caliber.
Is that too soon?
There have been a few instances I went to 7 or 8 if I was behind in getting new ....... but 6 is my across the board limit which most will find to be too early and in some cases I agree ...... but my policy is my policy :)

After 6 send your brass to me and I will shot the crap out of it.

tonyjr
12-13-2016, 3:03 PM
Hey - more than one person has told me I go thru to much work reloading .
I also check my water and oil when I buy gas and have spare tire rotated
when I rotate the tires .
I am not going to change and neither should you .
As for how many times shells are reloaded - 6 nephews and 2 niecses shoot and bring back range brass .
They all know my standards - split , dented [ should see light between case and edge of coin ] or bent bases - when in douth toss it out .

Ranchogunner
12-13-2016, 5:59 PM
Is that too soon?

Yeah like I mentioned before, keeping track of every firing of every case is way too organized for me. I just shoot, collect the brass and any range brass, and throw it in with the general population of that caliber.

Do you have a system where you can keep track of every time a case is used?

WMG
12-13-2016, 7:28 PM
Yeah like I mentioned before, keeping track of every firing of every case is way too organized for me. I just shoot, collect the brass and any range brass, and throw it in with the general population of that caliber.

Do you have a system where you can keep track of every time a case is used?

I have a log book and all my reloaded Lot #'s get logged.

It's the pretty standard thing listing bullet used , powder type/weight , primer info , etc .......... and I have a column called "times fired" where I log that number.

There is also a column called "Previous Lot #" , so that I can track the previous loading , etc.

So that I don't bring the brass home and put it back into my supply.....
When that number in the "times fired" column becomes a "6" ...... I'll slip a piece of paper in with the newly reloaded ammo saying to toss it after firing.

After writing this , I guess it would have been more correct to say earlier that I reload the cases only 6 times but fire them 7 , not that it makes much of a difference.

All my boxes of reloads have a little sticker or magic marker writing on them denoting the Lot #.

I don't have any that I will be tossing any time soon that I can think of , but for shipping , sure I wouldn't care .... they normally go into the brass bucket and when full goes to the recycle man for $$$.
I may be tossing some 44mag this summer , my lots normally run 50 , 60, 100 or 200 ....... I got 35rem brass which is probably the most valuable but I don't run through much of that anymore as I been deer hunting with others.
I may have some of the wifes 30-30 to toss this coming fall in 2017 but off the top of my head , I'd have to look at the log

jericho89
12-13-2016, 7:51 PM
Way too organized for the amount of shooting I do. I applaud you for being that organized. I run through over 15k of 45 per year alone. I would spend way too much time doing paperwork for that volume. That does not even put into account the .223, 9mm, 38 & 357. The other rifle rounds I do track a little better (nothing like you).

Ranchogunner
12-13-2016, 9:43 PM
Yes, now THAT is organized. I keep a log too of what I load, but do not include how many times the brass has been fired. I would find that just to difficult to keep track of.

WMG
12-14-2016, 5:17 AM
Wow , I wish my mother was here to hear all you guys referring to me as organized :D
Makes me want to stand a little straighter and tuck in my shirt tail..... ;)

It takes maybe a minute or 2 to fill in the info for the Lot#
To be honest , I thought everyone did this.

If you were looking for for an easier way to track "times fired" I suppose making "tally" marks on the boxes would work.

It hasn't been extrememly useful but mostly helps go back to a load I want to recreate that maybe I have not used for awhile and helps me remeber what I loaded with what.

I did have a buddy who had to check his records years back when a powder had been recalled that he uses , unlike me who logs the Lot # for the components he just logs the info such as type/weight and was not sure if he had loaded a recalled Lot or not.

He shot them anyhow and was fine but I suppose that could be of use , not that I have ever needed that.

Mayor McRifle
12-14-2016, 5:28 AM
If it case gauges (barrel drop check) it gets shot. End of story.

Same for me. I've never had a problem with a cartridge that seated well in a Wilson case gauge.

tonyjr
12-14-2016, 6:37 AM
My log book is mainly for who took / fired what . What powder was used
and how much is needed to keep up .
There are 9 of us that shoot and pick up range brass . No way to know how many times a case is reloaded .
Since at least 2 of us goat a time and we always ask if others save their brass .

jericho89
12-14-2016, 7:16 AM
My logging is done on the plastic box the ammo is in. Date, caliber, bullet weight, powder type, powder weight. I use sharpie to mark and for the most part just change the date, since I use the same powder type and load.

Ranchogunner
12-14-2016, 10:47 AM
My log book is mainly for who took / fired what . What powder was used
and how much is needed to keep up .
There are 9 of us that shoot and pick up range brass . No way to know how many times a case is reloaded .
Since at least 2 of us goat a time and we always ask if others save their brass .

Yeah thats the thing. Picking up range brass makes it impossible to know how many times that case has been fired. Before I actually started reloading I read through the Lyman book and was convinced I would keep track of the times I fired a case, but that quickly fell aside after I realized that would be impossible with range brass. And I like picking up range brass. I go up to El Dorado National Forest to shoot, and sometimes there are bucketloads of brass to pick up.

the86d
12-15-2016, 4:05 AM
I can't log, as even other people's brass gets tossed into the same collection coffee-tub.

I pitch it in the scrap-bin when it's bad. Split necks are the only thing in 9mm I don't reload...

Jimi Jah
12-15-2016, 9:18 AM
Anyone find a use for M67 Yugo 7.62x39 brass? Those primers are glued in tight.

Will the bulk buyers pay for that stuff?

stilly
12-15-2016, 11:21 AM
All of this organizational malarkey is making me sick. I am leaving this thread...