PDA

View Full Version : Gen 4 G19 vs H&K VP9

KillZone45
12-07-2016, 7:09 PM
Ok I think tomorrow I'm getting one of these two, by summer I'll have both so it's more like which one first.
Does the g19 come with night sights?
Which one has a better factory trigger?
This will be for EDC CCW. I'll be getting another Gcode Incog for appendix carry.
I'm also going to carry OWB for when I am out of city limits, hiking, around the house, etc.

I'm out of state so I have access to both just a FYI.

Strykeback
12-07-2016, 9:13 PM
You ask about 2 guns that most California's aren't allowed to buy saying you are out of state? Seriously don't rub that **** in our faces lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Strykeback
12-07-2016, 9:14 PM
The vp9 is the striker fired sister to my p30. No better ergos. The 19 and vp9 are completely different point of aims and triggers.

KillZone45
12-07-2016, 9:18 PM
The vp9 is the striker fired sister to my p30. No better ergos. The 19 and vp9 are completely different point of aims and triggers.

Oh I have noticed too, the vp9 is superior to me. The HK is about $100 more give or take. I'm leaning towards the vp9 but the G19 is pretty much the Gold standard when it comes to ccw. I'll admit the G19 didn't feel horrible, I can get used to it. Plus I actually think the G19 looks sexy:D I'd like to get rid of the finger grooves and stiple it in the future amongst other things.
Does Glock make g19s with night sights?

gsxr310
12-07-2016, 9:18 PM
If it's for EDC CCW, I'd go w the glock. Not sure if the glock comes w night sights. The vp9 will have a better trigger.

etwinam
12-07-2016, 9:24 PM
These two guns are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum.

The VP9 has some of the best ergos on a pistol period and Glock feels like holding a plastic block. That being said the Glock is more durable than the majority of guns in production today and will continue to last for many years to come. Glock is a decent trigger but VP9 has a way better trigger out of rhe box.

For ccw &edc G19 all day. I've heard horror stories of cracked slides and problems with the VP9. It's a pretty fragile handgun.

If it were my decision I would go with a PPQ personally. Best all around striker fire handgun on the market.

Night sights for Glock are not included. They run around$100 on average for good ones. I use tfx.

Strykeback
12-07-2016, 9:26 PM
You have a half dozen options for night sights with the glock just figure about 80 to 120. Trigger options are out there as well. I have the p30 and then the 19s fatter brother the g30sf and found the point of aim needed to be adjusted (added a grip force adaptor to fix some of that) and I hated the trigger, tore my finger up, so added an agency arms trigger along with a ghost avenger connector. Had some trijicon HD night sights ready to be put on at pickup. I've also swapped out slide stop catch and mag catch for Vickers goodies.

See where I'm going with this? HK good to go. Glock while reliable as hell like the HK, just needs a lot of addons to love it as much.

Oceanbob
12-07-2016, 9:27 PM
PPQ or Ruger LC9S PRO.

:)

KillZone45
12-07-2016, 9:35 PM
PPQ or Ruger LC9S PRO.

:)

Two ugly guns lol, no thanks.

KillZone45
12-07-2016, 9:38 PM
These two guns are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum.

The VP9 has some of the best ergos on a pistol period and Glock feels like holding a plastic block. That being said the Glock is more durable than the majority of guns in production today and will continue to last for many years to come. Glock is a decent trigger but VP9 has a way better trigger out of rhe box.

For ccw &edc G19 all day. I've heard horror stories of cracked slides and problems with the VP9. It's a pretty fragile handgun.

If it were my decision I would go with a PPQ personally. Best all around striker fire handgun on the market.

Night sights for Glock are not included. They run around$100 on average for good ones. I use tfx.

We see things eye to eye. I will own both by summer. I have a feeling the G19 will conceal easier due to a little shorter length. Sounds like I'll buy the G19 first and when the weather thaws get the vp9, I can then OWB carry it.

solipsism
12-07-2016, 9:40 PM
I bought both and love both for different reasons.

kkroto
12-07-2016, 9:46 PM
I bought both and love both for different reasons.

Same here:D

lightcav
12-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Same here:D

Yup, got em both love em both. I will say the Glock feels sturdier but the VP9 fits better, has a better trigger, and is slightly easier to shoot accurately. I prefer them both over the P320.

D.A.V.I.D.
12-08-2016, 4:42 AM
Two ugly guns lol, no thanks.

Well PPQ looks exactly like a vp9 and a Glock isn't winning any beauty awards. I own both guns you're asking about. The VP9 is definitely more enjoyable to shoot. Like posted above it just feels so good in your hand and the trigger is great. That being said though the Glock is my bedside gun. That is simply because reputation of reliability and simplicity of design (anyone can be a glock armorer and know the weapon in and out). I haven't even attempted to completely disassemble the VP9

lurchnp81
12-08-2016, 5:50 AM
When I couldn't decide between the two....I just bought both at the same time. You are free now, you don't need to worry about 1 in 30 bs....just get both. I did, like them both for different reasons.

geoint
12-08-2016, 3:06 PM
Im a Glock fanboy.

With that out of the way, I have no interest in different polymer based carry handguns besides Glock. Glock has never let me down and is the universal standard for a reason. So my vote would be the G19. I have several (gen 3's and 4's) and just can't get over them.

Once I have that itch scratched, I spend my money on range toys and for range toys, I'm all about steel framed guns. 1911's, revolvers, really want a beretta...etc.

calif 15-22
12-08-2016, 4:00 PM
As the resident VP9 Fanboy (I own 3) I have to say it's been super reliable for me. I have one by the bed, one by the couch, and on in the safe.

Having said that, I am going to get a G19 to see what all the fuss is about. Great reviews, great gun, great reputation. Why not get both!

(Since I can't CCW in San Mateo County that is not an issue for either gun)

Tekguy
12-08-2016, 4:03 PM
They are both great. Real decision is are you used to a trigger housing or frame mag release. As much as I like and shoot the vp9 better, my mag changes are more natural and quicker with a glock

KillZone45
12-08-2016, 5:01 PM
Today I went to Blacksheep to look at guns. Ive decided to get the G19 to carry first, they had the gen4 G19 for $549 and a a gen3 for like $469?
I went to DROS the gun but the person on the other end of the phone came back with "delayed till 12/14". Not sure exactly why could be because I am a new resident only been here a month per residency. He said that what he has been seeing lately was the DOJ or whoever calls back the next day saying that person is GTG. If not and I dont hear anything back by the 14th I can come pick it up then.

I still need to order my Gcode Incog holster and night sights still. Just weird, never been delayed before but also never been able to buy a buy w/o a 10 day wait period either.

Strykeback
12-08-2016, 5:37 PM
Sounds like its still quicker than California. The fact they let you have it if the guy doesn't call back is hilarious.

To the guy with the mag release issue with it being on the trigger guard housing. I love that feature. The flaw is when I see guys trying to reach around and get it with their thumb. Try it with your middle finger. You can drop mags and reload without ever adjusting your grip or losing sight picture. So fast.

missiontrails
12-08-2016, 5:52 PM
If you're considering a grip as long as the VP9, you might as well look at the G17, as the extra 1/2" of barrel/slide isn't going to make a huge difference for carry.

Dhena81
12-08-2016, 6:08 PM
The thing that kills the VP9 for me is where the slide stop is and how I like to grip the gun. I almost have to shoot it like a Sig that is my single biggest complaint with the VP9. I have 10-8's on my VP9 luckily for me I like that type of sight picture (black rear and brass front)

Sights and holsters are a major plus for the Glock also. All I do to my G4 Glocks are four things.

1. Add a grip force adapter this is a huge benefit for me because it points better for me and the slide doesn't chew up my shooting hand.

2. Add a Vickers magazine release this is a huge upgrade for me also its the perfect size.

3. Change the sights I hate 3 dot sights.

4. The 25 cent trigger job or whatever its called I keep the FCG completely stock I don't need anything else. I actually also file down the finger bumps and undercut the trigger guard :D. So I guess 5 or 6 thinigs but nothing really costs much more than what I do to other pistols.

Saym14
12-08-2016, 11:22 PM
get the VP9 way better trigger

626shooter
12-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Have you considered the VP9 Tactical? Comes with 3 mags, threaded barrel, & night sights.

Saym14
12-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Have you considered the VP9 Tactical? Comes with 3 mags, threaded barrel, & night sights.

good idea get in it grey frame too!!!!!!!!!!

KillZone45
12-09-2016, 12:57 AM
get the VP9 way better trigger

good idea get in it grey frame too!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the VP9 in grey looks amazing! I'll get the vp9 for summer, the G19 is much smaller for EDC CCW duties

nikki#2
12-09-2016, 9:52 AM
Yes the VP9 in grey looks amazing! I'll get the vp9 for summer, the G19 is much smaller for EDC CCW duties

Well then get a Grey G19. You seem to be all about EDC CCW. Lots of folks here recommend the G19 as a 'one-gun' solution,
a) big enough to shoot accurately and b) small enough to conceal... basically in that order. Don't know your size, job, daily routine, or attire...
but personally I know I'd get tired of concealing a G19 every day... Yes, to the point of leaving it home every now and then. YMMV ;)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/43_zpscn4i8jjr.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/surfdog_photos/media/43_zpscn4i8jjr.jpg.html)

.45 ACP
12-09-2016, 10:01 AM
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/596x532q90/923/gdRKXg.jpg

Glock 19 MOS by far. VP9 is old school, you can't even put an RMR on it. :laugh:

danfinger
12-09-2016, 10:15 AM
You ask about 2 guns that most California's aren't allowed to buy saying you are out of state? Seriously don't rub that **** in our faces lol

Everyone on the Idaho forum told him to buy whatever he wants and STFU about it.

.45 ACP
12-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Everyone on the Idaho forum told him to buy whatever he wants and STFU about it.

:laugh:

L84CABO
12-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Gotta go with the Glock but I'm just really not a HK fan. If I didn't like the trigger or sights I would upgrade them. Plenty of options there.

Take a look at the JM Custom Kydex AIWB WC holster too. It is most awesome! I've got an Incog holster too. I like the JM holster better for larger framed guns. The Glock 19 is kinda in the middle so you could go either way with it.

floogy
12-09-2016, 12:52 PM
For EDC, Glock 19. The Glock is smaller than the VP9 and has a lot more time being shot and carried than the VP9 ever will. Parts are cheap and plentiful as well. Not sure about parts availability for HK guns.

Personally, the Glock 19/23 is about the largest EDC I'd go with. Sure, you can carry larger guns, but then you have to dress around the gun. A G19 will work with most "normal" clothing, whatever that is for you.

Strykeback
12-09-2016, 1:17 PM
The 19 and vp9 are pretty damn close in size as far as thickness and that's what matters. You want a single stack with hyve or taran tactical base plate extensions. Personally i found the 9mm single glock to be too thin and was adjusting my grip every other shot. A 26 is perfect as far as comfort but I learned with my 30sf that thickness kills

KillZone45
12-09-2016, 1:25 PM
Well then get a Grey G19. You seem to be all about EDC CCW. Lots of folks here recommend the G19 as a 'one-gun' solution,
a) big enough to shoot accurately and b) small enough to conceal... basically in that order. Don't know your size, job, daily routine, or attire...
but personally I know I'd get tired of concealing a G19 every day... Yes, to the point of leaving it home every now and then. YMMV ;)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/43_zpscn4i8jjr.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/surfdog_photos/media/43_zpscn4i8jjr.jpg.html)

I carry a Springfield XDS 3.3" in 45acp every day. I only carry the standard mag at 5rds so that gives me 5+1, I'm looking to triple that to 15+1 with the G19, I know the G19 is bigger but that will be the trade off to get 3x as many RDS in 1 mag.

KillZone45
12-09-2016, 1:28 PM

You talking to me tough guy? First, I didn't ask your opinion, second, I wasn't aware their was an Idaho sub forum and third you sound like some whiny jealous guy who hates his life being stuck in California not being able to own the cool stuff, fourth is did I post in this elusive Idaho sub forum? No I posted in the handgun section. Lastly please see your way out of my thread, thanks.

HopetonBrown
12-09-2016, 2:19 PM
I carry a Springfield XDS 3.3" in 45acp every day. I only carry the standard mag at 5rds so that gives me 5+1, I'm looking to triple that to 15+1 with the G19, I know the G19 is bigger but that will be the trade off to get 3x as many RDS in 1 mag.

Seeing that 45 and 9mm are about equally effective, and you'd probably shoot 9mm better with a little 3.3" gun, your CCW seems a curious choice.

More bullets = more time in fight. The average person can probably fire around 4 shots per second. So a 5+1 gun is 1.5 seconds in the fight. A Glock 19 in a free state is a 4 second gun.

With regards to night sights, worrying if the G19 comes with factory night sights is like not buying a car because of the rims. You buy the gun, then buy a quality set of sights.

KillZone45
12-09-2016, 5:33 PM
Seeing that 45 and 9mm are about equally effective, and you'd probably shoot 9mm better with a little 3.3" gun, your CCW seems a curious choice.

More bullets = more time in fight. The average person can probably fire around 4 shots per second. So a 5+1 gun is 1.5 seconds in the fight. A Glock 19 in a free state is a 4 second gun.

With regards to night sights, worrying if the G19 comes with factory night sights is like not buying a car because of the rims. You buy the gun, then buy a quality set of sights.

My XDs is 45 not 9mm.

Well my XDs has decent sights from the factory.

I'll b picking my gun up tomorrow, DOJ released it.

I gotta order the sights I want tonight and the INCOG, hopefully that doesn't take all that long.

31 rds of 9mm on my person will be nice vs the 11 I am currently carrying on my EDC.

KillZone45
12-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Need some advice on sights, looking at night sights obviously. Anyone have any they like?

wl518
12-10-2016, 5:02 AM
Ameriglo pro I-dot if you like 2 dot setup. Many users prefer trijicon HDs. There are various options if you are going blacked out rear and tritium front. If so, look at 10-8, Warrens and Dawsons. If you are balling on a budget, Ameriglo CAP or Hackathorn sights. Personally I've been overhauling all my glocks from tritium to fiber optic sights, better target acquisition and I carry a light as EDC.

vg247
12-11-2016, 2:04 AM
Ameriglo pro I-dot if you like 2 dot setup. Many users prefer trijicon HDs. There are various options if you are going blacked out rear and tritium front. If so, look at 10-8, Warrens and Dawsons. If you are balling on a budget, Ameriglo CAP or Hackathorn sights. Personally I've been overhauling all my glocks from tritium to fiber optic sights, better target acquisition and I carry a light as EDC.

I have both setups : Trijicon HD (yellow fronts) and 10-8 FO sights on both over a few of each variety on each and like them both. Lately I've been preferring the HD's on my HK's more however. They are much better than the mepros that come on my LE model.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
12-11-2016, 7:58 AM
Trijicon HDs are the way to go. Easy target aquisition compared to everything else I've tried.

KillZone45
12-11-2016, 11:36 AM
I gotta do something about the horrible stock trigger. I heard about a Ghost connector and massaging some stock parts. I need to do something asap.

1911cat
12-11-2016, 11:49 AM
I have a pryramid trigger, it works wonders.

nikki#2
12-11-2016, 11:52 AM
I gotta do something about the horrible stock trigger. I heard about a Ghost connector and massaging some stock parts. I need to do something asap.

Personally, I'd stay OEM on your EDC CCW. Swap the connector and do a .25 cent trigger job.
BTW... Did you go Gen 3 or Gen 4? Gen 4 has the hump on the trigger bar.

Just remember.......

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/dremel1_zpsmc2jfkej.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/surfdog_photos/media/dremel1_zpsmc2jfkej.jpg.html)

HopetonBrown
12-11-2016, 12:07 PM
I think Ghost blows. The connector gets hung up on the slide.

Trijicon HDs are too wide. Wait for the Trijicon HD XR or the new FBI sights by Ameriglo.

KillZone45
12-11-2016, 2:00 PM
@nikki#2...ok what connector do I use?
I got a gen4...
How do I do the .25 trigger job?

Strykeback
12-11-2016, 2:55 PM
Never had an issue with my connector. Everyone that tries mine is amazed since it feels nothing like the gritty stacking glock trigger. Having a flat trigger also changes the geometry. If you have to ask how one does the 25 cent trigger job then you might want to leave it alone being its a carry gun.

KillZone45
12-11-2016, 3:15 PM
Strykeback...asking how or what involves a .25 trigger job then being replied "ya might want to leave it alone then" is lame. This is my first Glock, I can do a trigger job as I'm not in Ca and subject to your guys draconian gun laws.
I'm going to try out the Ghost connector next weekend when I have a chance to go into town and buy the part. I watched the 4 minute YouTube video and wow Glockso are easy to disassemble and put back together.
I'm also going to look at an extended slide stop if it's available.

BarrettM99
12-11-2016, 3:29 PM
I think both pistols are good to go. I like to keep my edc pistols stock but it doesn't make a difference if you mod them.

As for night sights...don't need them. Get a light instead. I have a family so I have to positively Id whomever I'm shooting at. I prefer to be able to see what I'm shooting at anyway as opposed to shooting blind at someone. It could be a loved one as opposed to a bad guy.

GlockN'Roll
12-11-2016, 3:51 PM
I think both pistols are good to go. I like to keep my edc pistols stock but it doesn't make a difference if you mod them.

As for night sights...don't need them.

Get a light instead.

I have a family so I have to positively Id whomever I'm shooting at. I prefer to be able to see what I'm shooting at anyway as opposed to shooting blind at someone. It could be a loved one as opposed to a bad guy.

Night sights are a great addition to a carry gun.

Attached gun lights are great at home,

but if you have to draw your CCW on someone simply to identify them with your flashlight outside of your home,

you are in a whole other world of ramifications...

nikki#2
12-11-2016, 3:53 PM
@nikki#2...ok what connector do I use?
I got a gen4...
How do I do the .25 trigger job?

I run an OEM minus connector and use this DVD: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/186832/american-gunsmithing-institute-agi-video-making-glocks-rock-dvd
Of course, there are several (free) youtube videos on how to do a Glock $.25 trigger job.

Also, a) The Gen 4's trigger bar has this hump on it, and b) your G19 has a serrated trigger. I prefer a Gen 3 trigger bar in my Gen 4's (Part # G357).
No hump + it has a smooth-faced trigger, which I prefer over the G19's serrated trigger. While this configuration has been well-tested by many,
of course conduct your own.

Give a quick view of this youtube video and the issue should be clearer:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm312/redmasi/Bump%20and%20Hump_zpsj5fiwvpk.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/redmasi/media/Bump%20and%20Hump_zpsj5fiwvpk.jpg.html)

Mj8Qt8ofCAw

HopetonBrown
12-11-2016, 3:54 PM
Night sights are a great addition to a carry gun.

Attached gun lights are great at home,

but if you have to draw your CCW on someone simply to identify them with your flashlight outside of your home,

you are in a whole other world of ramifications...
How do you identify them with your night sights?

KillZone45
12-11-2016, 3:58 PM

As for night sights...don't need them. Get a light instead. I have a family so I have to positively Id whomever I'm shooting at. I prefer to be able to see what I'm shooting at anyway as opposed to shooting blind at someone. It could be a loved one as opposed to a bad guy.

Not a fan of the stock sights, and not a fan of lights on guns especially since I have to get a dimensionally bigger holster for it.

I'd rather use a handheld flashlight. Thanks for the info.

KillZone45
12-11-2016, 3:59 PM
I run an OEM minus connector and use this DVD: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/186832/american-gunsmithing-institute-agi-video-making-glocks-rock-dvd
Of course, there are several (free) youtube videos on how to do a Glock $.25 trigger job.

Also, a) The Gen 4's trigger bar has this hump on it, and b) your G19 has a serrated trigger. I prefer a Gen 3 trigger bar in my Gen 4's (Part # G357).
No hump + it has a smooth-faced trigger, which I prefer over the G19's serrated trigger. While this configuration has been well-tested by many,
of course conduct your own.

Give a quick view of this youtube video and the issue should be clearer:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm312/redmasi/Bump%20and%20Hump_zpsj5fiwvpk.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/redmasi/media/Bump%20and%20Hump_zpsj5fiwvpk.jpg.html)

Mj8Qt8ofCAw

Thank you for that.

Strykeback
12-11-2016, 6:32 PM
Yeah the serrated trigger killed my finger on my 30sf. Hence a flat trigger is amazing feeling.

Zyrtec
12-20-2016, 3:24 PM
Glock will never tell their customers that their ergonomic is wrong. If you shoot right hand, you will always shoot to the left. Left hand shoots to the right. Lots of people prefer Glock because police uses it. Parts are readily available. To shoot better with glock, you have to compensate or adjust your rear sight. Maybe good for close range but for over 10 yards good luck! Used to be a huge Glock fan but no more. Personal preference will be the walther PPQ M2>VP9>Sig P320>M&P series.

mulyhuntr
12-20-2016, 7:16 PM
I had a gen 4 g19 and have shot the vp9. Ppq m2 is superior to both other than the glock has slightly less muzzle flip. Sights are super easy to change on the ppq as well.