View Full Version : M1A Swivel Stud install recommendations please.

c good
10-23-2008, 3:54 PM
Hi All:
I recently purchased an M1A Stock from a forum member. It's a fiberglass GI stock and I want to install a swivel stud for a Harris Bi-pod. Does anyone here have any experience with this? I'm mostly intersted in what parts I need, where to get them, and where to locate the swivel stud. Thanks for any input. c good

10-23-2008, 3:57 PM

You might also want to consider sending it to Springfield.

10-23-2008, 4:43 PM
Actually I'm right now in the process of performing that work (listed in the first thread). It has turned out to be a little bit more challenging that I had originally thought. Most of the pictures I have seen of M-14s in Iraq show the stud forward of the sling however some of the jobs I've seen done on the web show it behind the sling loop. I purchased the Harris HB-2R adaptor http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com/BiPods.html after doing some research. This adaptor has a radiused flange that will help to reinforce the thin wood of the forward stock. The problem is that the adapter will need to be modified in order to fit half way between the sling swivel and the weep hole (where they are mounted on military rifles). Additionally, some of the stock needed to be removed to ensure that the flange does not interfere with the operating rod and piston. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

If you want a challenge or are super handy with gun smithing this is a "fun" job to do. To make the experience all that more enjoyable, it was the first time I ever removed the action from the bedding which itself was a fairly lengthy and careful process. Otherwise I'd suggest either sending the rifle to Springfield or going the route of replacing the front sling swivel with a Fulton Armory front rail/swivel http://www.fulton-armory.com/MAParts.htm#FA-M4-500-122QD. I didn't go these routes because I hate shipping rifles off to factories, I wanted the clean look that the Harris stud provides, and I'm not 100% sure how the forward rail will affect the rifle's ability to be used in NM "service rifle" competition.

Also placing the HB-2R adaptor behind the forward sling swivel would be easier as well, but you will loose the use of the sling swivel when you have the bi-pod attached (you could of course attach the sling to the bi-pod).

Also note that it should be easier to perform this task on the fiberglass stock as I think the stock material is thinner up front allowing for more stock/operating rod clearance.

10-24-2008, 8:53 AM
Drill a 1/2" hole.
Fabricate a pillar with grooves on the outside and 10-32 threads inside.
Epoxy that into the stock.
Let it cure overnight before installing the stud and bipod.
This is how I do almost all bipod studs.

There's also the flush-cup option for mounting a sling.

10-24-2008, 9:52 AM
I didn't want to void my warranty and since there was a hairline crack in the stock where the "fun switch" was filled so in sendin it back I also ordered it with a factory installed QD stud. It was only $45 and is done correctly so teh bedding wouldn't get messed up.