PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca M37 20" for duck hunting

erblo
10-22-2008, 1:22 PM
I have an Ithaca M37 pump shotgun with 20 barrel. Would I be able to use this for duck hunting?

I realize its not ideal for this, but would it be useable until I can afford something better?

locktime
10-22-2008, 1:49 PM
Get a 28" or 30" barrel for it.

You might drop a duck with the 20", but you'd be at a serious disadvantage, and would be more likely to cause a non lethal wound.

You'll get a few funny looks, too.

Maybe if you painted it "Mossy Oak"...

erblo
10-22-2008, 2:37 PM
Where can I get a barrel for a reasonable price? All the barrels I see cost more than the whole shotgun!

AJAX22
10-22-2008, 4:07 PM
Good luck finding a barrel for cheap, I cut mine down a long time ago and havent found a replacement yet.

not all barrels work on all guns, make sure you get one that will fit your series shotgun.

Chukar hunter
10-22-2008, 6:45 PM
Look for a used Browning BPS or Field grade Ithaca 37. They are out there and would be a better choice than a 20" bbl shotgun

10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
I have an Ithaca M37 pump shotgun with 20 barrel. Would I be able to use this for duck hunting?

I realize its not ideal for this, but would it be useable until I can afford something better?

No. Birds like any other game deserve to be killed in a humanely manner. You won't shoot a deer with a .22 LR, why would you shoot at a bird with a short barreled shotgun? To maim it and let it die miles away and hours later?
If you do not have a hunting shotgun, borrow one. If you don't have anyone to borrow from, buy one put it on your credit card. Or borrow $350 from a friend and buy one, then repay your debt later.

Gunaria
10-22-2008, 11:04 PM

What type of choke does your barrel have? I'm guessing it is IC. But whatever it is, I think you might be able to kill a duck no further than 20 yards max. Any further then that, then I say you are just wasting expensive steel shot.

Have you taken it to the range to see if you can bust clays with it?

erblo
10-23-2008, 6:22 AM
Ok, sounds like I'm shopping for a new shotgun! ;)

Thanks!

WhoDat
10-23-2008, 9:18 AM
Yo can go cheap and buy an 870 for $250 that will be lethal.

I just switched from an 870 to a Beretta Xtrema2 last season, and I couldn't be happier. I hope to drop some Honkers with it this weekend.

sargenv
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Now I'm curious about the quote of "a short barreled shotgun with an open choke won't be as effective". I have an 18" barrel for my Mossy that is cylinder bore. Now I'm going to have to take this beasty to the range, fire some steel shot over the chrono and see what different the extra 6-12 inches makes. I'll also take a look at the pattern it makes at a distance of 40 yards... Might be a week or two though.

Equalizer2
10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Now I'm curious about the quote of "a short barreled shotgun with an open choke won't be as effective". I have an 18" barrel for my Mossy that is cylinder bore. Now I'm going to have to take this beasty to the range, fire some steel shot over the chrono and see what different the extra 6-12 inches makes. I'll also take a look at the pattern it makes at a distance of 40 yards... Might be a week or two though.

You better bring a really big target!:D:D:D

WhoDat
10-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Shot pattern aside, having more distance between your eye and the bead will help, when swinging on fast-moving birds.

bowfin
01-11-2009, 5:39 PM
Not so fast on dumping that short barrel with no choke to duck hunt! I have done it, I have seen others do it, and it can be done by anyone else, providing they keep their shots withing killing range. That older guy with the beard in the turkey thread I started often uses a single shot 10 gauge with no choke for a lot of his hunting, including field shooting mallards and a turkey or two or three.

In fact, when jumping ducks off of a creek or pond, I would rather have a more open choke than a full or modified. A pellet from a cylinder choke has just as much energy as a pellet from a full choke.

First off, go pattern the shotgun on the biggest paper you can get your hands on, and shoot the middle of it with your waterfowl loads at 20 yards. I'm guessing most any 12 gauge will have a pattern that is comfortably solid and no patches at that range. Keep moving back five yards and repeat until the pattern starts looking splotchy with duck sized holes (places where a duck can fly through without getting hit with six or eight pellets). That's your maximum range.

Good quality steel and nontoxic loads have been known to tighten up patterns on open choked or no choked guns, and Federal's Flite Control wad really extends a killing pattern, so pattern your gun with some different loads and see what the limitations are, and if anything you try doesn't give you the range you need or want, then think about getting a different gun or barrel.

Also, a too tight pattern from too much choke can be as bad a crippler as a pattern with holes in it. As an example, a duck caught in the rear and crippled with the edge of a full choke pattern might be dropped stone dead if the pattern was wider to put a few pellets in the head and chest. Ideally, one would have the largest patten with no holes in it possible at the range he will most likely be shooting...

...which leads us back to the patterning board.