PDA

View Full Version : AR Scope Help

djslik
10-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I am building 2 AR's one is a varmint target gun which will have a Super Sniper scope on it. The second will be a BCM build that is going to be used for fun and a SHTF gun if I ever really needed it. I have a Remington 870 for the house already so the AR may truly never have to be used for that. But in any event I am looking for optics and I don't want to spend more than $300 unless the AIMPOINT's are really worth it. The choices are:

1. SPOT MKIII ($160)
2. Burris XTS ($200)
3. Vortex Strikefire ($130)
4. Bushnell Holosight ($240)
5. Nikon Monarch VSD ($250)
5. Used AIM Point or Eotech

What do you guys think of these as far as reliability and durability. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.

1lostinspace
10-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Eotech built like a tank 1moa red dot and will co align with iron peep sites

aplinker
10-19-2008, 2:08 AM
Aimpoints are worth it. Keep your eyes open for used or use the 30% off eBay with live.com.

The Vortex is an appealing package for the price.

Eotech built like a tank 1moa red dot and will co align with iron peep sites

a tank whose achilles heels are battery contacts and susceptibility to heat.

djslik
10-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I completely agree with comment on Aimpoints. With that said the gun is going to spend 99.9% of it's time on the range plinking with the 0.1% chance of it being used in a situation where my shotgun doesn't have the range for defense purposes. I have also read very good reviews on the Millet DMS-1 scope and some people actually feel that at 1X it sights very well. My hopes are for some feedback good or bad on the other systems including the Millet to see if they have been reliable for range use and for potential close quarter use. Being able to Co-Witness becomes crucial so in the event of battery failure I would still be able to look through optics and see the front sight. Right now I'm liking the Millet due to the good reviews it is getting right now. Maybe you guys have some thoughts on those as well.

Update- I'm also thinking about the Aimpoint Micro T-1 due to the 30% discount and free larue mounts it comes out to a little under $400. Compare that to a $200 Millet and a decent base and you're closer to $300. At that point the increase in quality far outweighs the $100 difference. But I'm still very interested in your thoughts on the other optics.

aplinker
10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
You're closer to $350 on the Millet - since its eye relief is REALLY long. You also can NOT co-witness through it properly. The best idea is to zero your sights and use a QD mount for the scope, so if it's damaged it can be removed.

The T-1 is the hot ticket. Weighs almost nothing.

I completely agree with comment on Aimpoints. With that said the gun is going to spend 99.9% of it's time on the range plinking with the 0.1% chance of it being used in a situation where my shotgun doesn't have the range for defense purposes. I have also read very good reviews on the Millet DMS-1 scope and some people actually feel that at 1X it sights very well. My hopes are for some feedback good or bad on the other systems including the Millet to see if they have been reliable for range use and for potential close quarter use. Being able to Co-Witness becomes crucial so in the event of battery failure I would still be able to look through optics and see the front sight. Right now I'm liking the Millet due to the good reviews it is getting right now. Maybe you guys have some thoughts on those as well.

Update- I'm also thinking about the Aimpoint Micro T-1 due to the 30% discount and free larue mounts it comes out to a little under $400. Compare that to a $200 Millet and a decent base and you're closer to $300. At that point the increase in quality far outweighs the $100 difference. But I'm still very interested in your thoughts on the other optics.

CSTactical
10-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I really like the SPOT for the price but for reliability I would recommend the EoTech or Aimpoint.

SPOT.
http://www.csgunworks.com/product_images/3144.jpg

Mike @ CSGW

LibertyOptics
10-21-2008, 6:32 AM
Aimpoint. The Cadillac of red dots. Combat proven. For SHTF, you need to buy once, cry once. For "fun". anything will work.

Scott

djslik
10-22-2008, 5:01 AM
I have been pricing out my whole build and I'm torn between the Comp C3 and the Micro T-1. The Comp C3 will get me under $300 but I will have to add mounts to that. I'm really trying not to get over $300 on this since my other optic will end up being in the range of $400+. I'm even willing to do the SPOT for range and fun only and iron sights for true SHTF with a flashlight.

EZRider
10-23-2008, 9:53 PM
For an A/R with BUIS:

Ignoring the price difference, what would be better for a CQB build, an ACOG with 1.5 magnification or an Aimpoint?

And, while I really like the Aimpoint micros (T-1 and H-1), I don't like the 4 MOA dot. I would prefer a 1 or 2 MOA dot. I don't think the micros come in anything but a 4 MOA dot. How do you guys like the Aimpoint Comp M4 (2 MOA dot) as compared to the T-1 or H-1?

Thanks very much for the help.

10-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I have a Millet DMS-1 mounted in a LaRue SPR-E. So far I love it. My only complaint is the cheap flip up lens covers that come with it. I ditched those and bought some Butler Creek. You can feel and hear the clicks while adjusting them. I really like the reticle too. It is simple to use and not overly cluttered. It is a little on the heavy side and comes with a spare battery that is stored under the windage cap, I bought mine from Midway for $205 if I remember right. I hope this helps.

10-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I guess Midway has them for $230 now.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=186660&t=11082005