PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of returning Knoxx SpecOps stock for Compstock but have some questions...

mywytefeet
10-17-2008, 1:13 AM
Got a couple of questions. I recently bought a Knoxx SpecOps stock from midwayusa.com and it was scratched all over. Then I returned it for another one and the new one came with a few less scratches (but still had some scratches.) I thought I would save my loses and live with a few scratches. Then I installed the stock on my Mossberg 500 and found out about some things I never thought of when ordering the SpecOps stock. 1) the stock needs to be removed every time you want to take out the trigger assembly. 2) The slide release is now a hell of a lot harder to get to quickly. 3) The safety, the one thing that works great for lefties is now kind of funky to deal with since there is a pistol grip. Lastly, and the deal breaker for me, 4) the stock is slightly too high and causes you to look over your front bead sight (basically you see the barrel, the bead, and bead post etc. so aiming with the bead properly is all out of whack.) For these reasons I am now returning the Knoxx SpecOps stock. My question is whether I should just keep my extra $120 or exchange the SpecOps for the Compstock? Will the compstock have any of the above mentioned problems? Or is it exactly like the standard stock but with recoil reducing features? Is it worth the $110 itís going for? Any information will help.

Thanks!

Dark&Good
10-17-2008, 2:02 AM
At a glance, these are disadvantages. But they seem to require some practice only to become "no disadvantages". How much practice? No idea. You look at all that, including the extra charge for the other stock, and you look at the advantages of having this one. And then you decide. And you do all this anyway, without me or others giving you advices... So? :)

Dark&Good
10-17-2008, 2:03 AM
In other words, if you have plenty of money, you should get whatever works best for you.

mywytefeet
10-17-2008, 2:28 AM
Let me rephrase my question...or at least rephrase my concerns. I have pretty much made up my mind that the SpecOps stock is not for me. I want the CompStock instead, but need to know:

1) Is the CompStock both left and right hand friendly?
2) Does the CompStock get in the way of the slide release?
3) Does the stock need to be removed to take out the trigger housing?
4) Is the CompStock the same length as a standard Moss 500 stock?
5) Is the CompStock the same height as a standard stock or is it a touch higher like the SpecOps stock? This is important as I would like to be able to sight up by looking at the bead only and not the bead post and barrel etc.

Thanks.

esskay
10-17-2008, 3:40 PM
Let me rephrase my question...or at least rephrase my concerns. I have pretty much made up my mind that the SpecOps stock is not for me. I want the CompStock instead, but need to know:

1) Is the CompStock both left and right hand friendly?
2) Does the CompStock get in the way of the slide release?
3) Does the stock need to be removed to take out the trigger housing?
4) Is the CompStock the same length as a standard Moss 500 stock?
5) Is the CompStock the same height as a standard stock or is it a touch higher like the SpecOps stock? This is important as I would like to be able to sight up by looking at the bead only and not the bead post and barrel etc.

Thanks.

Once I bought a used 870 which had an older Compstock on it. It seemed to have a longer LOP than normal and not having monkey arms I removed it. So I never actually used it. But here's the feedback I can offer:

1) Basically same as a regular straight stock so it'll be no more or less left/right friendly than the stock you have now. The issue you raise regarding accessibility of the Mossberg safety exists with any pistol grip stock, whether Knoxx or other makes. There are some aftermarket parts you can attach which are extensions on the mossberg safety to make it easier to reach with a PG stock.

2) Same as regular straight stock.

3) Don't know specifics, but my 870 CompStock attached to the receiver exactly the same way as a regular straight stock so there was no difference on how you accessed the 870's trigger group. You can confirm this by viewing the user manual on the Blackhawk/Knoxx site.

4) Don't know, but the CompStock for my 870 seemed to have a longer LOP. Keep in mind this was a relatively old CompStock, so not sure what has changed.

5) My 870 CompStock felt roughly the same.

The way that the Knoxx SpecOps stock works is that on recoil the receiver slides back a little bit where it is attached to the pistol grip assembly (this is why for 870s which have the safety on the trigger group you cannot use a "big button" safety). The CompStock works by compressing within the body of the stock itself -- that's why there's that rubber section in the middle of the stock (there's a front piece and a rear piece with the recoil mechanism in between, covered up by the rubber sleeve).

HTH to some extent

mywytefeet
10-17-2008, 3:48 PM
Awesome, just what I needed to know.

Thanks.