PDA

View Full Version : Varmit hunting in bay area?

mongosse
10-14-2008, 2:20 PM
ive been looking to go varmit shooting, but the closest public land is way down in coalinga. is there anything closer than that?

saelee23
10-14-2008, 7:53 PM
+1!!!

Linus
10-14-2008, 9:06 PM
+1 too, but...

giv1tatry
10-14-2008, 10:50 PM
are you just shooting and killing? or actually hunting and eating, killing just seems wrong. and i'm nothing close to an animal rights activist. i enjoy hunting, and fishing, and harvesting. but i know guys who just get a kick out of killing, i understand it feels good, better than shooting at paper targets or cans and stuff, but i think animals like being alive too. hahaha, just kidding. no hahaha, just kidding to that. i'm kind of serious. its gotta be wrong, right?

mongosse
10-15-2008, 10:52 AM
im not a killer thats for sure, im talking about rabbit hunting and squriel hunting and whatever i kill i do eat.

Backcountry
10-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Uh, I'm going to go out this weekend and shoot about 100 ground squirells, for no other reason than it's super fun. If you want to eat them you are more than welcome to, but I plan to just leave them lay... they make great bait for coyotes that come in at night and then I shoot them and leave them lay too.

Sometimes I pick up the carcasses for use in my crab pots as bait, but otherwise I'm just a heartless killer.

p.s. Ef Obama!

mongosse
10-15-2008, 11:08 AM
do u know any spots where i can do this, i live in san jose

mongosse
10-15-2008, 11:09 AM
do u know any spots where i can do this, i live in san jose

popndrop
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Way back when...I used to go to Fort Hunter Leggitt - and the the National Forest behind the fort, it was excellent for the varmints. The last time I was there was 2004...and I probably shot about 50 in a day. There are some nice long distance shots to be had if you find the right place, I think we had some 300-400 yard shot with nice safe backgrounds - was ripping them off of their little hills with a .308. Good fun.
And as far as eating goes - I do eat almost everything that I kill...but I just won't eat squirrels or Yotes. I've got bear steaks and deer and boar and chuckar and pheasant in my freezer now...all nicely packaged and ready to be eaten. But the economy is going to have to get a whole lot worse before I start vacuum packing squirrel steaks :)
And forgive my ignorance if the rules have changed up there at FHL, I've heard rumors that they were considering changing things, but never heard confirmation.

PND

popndrop
10-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Way back when...I used to go to Fort Hunter Leggitt - and the the National Forest behind the fort, it was excellent for the varmints. The last time I was there was 2004...and I probably shot about 50 in a day. There are some nice long distance shots to be had if you find the right place, I think we had some 300-400 yard shot with nice safe backgrounds - was ripping them off of their little hills with a .308. Good fun.
And as far as eating goes - I do eat almost everything that I kill...but I just won't eat squirrels or Yotes. I've got bear steaks and deer and boar and chuckar and pheasant in my freezer now...all nicely packaged and ready to be eaten. But the economy is going to have to get a whole lot worse before I start vacuum packing squirrel steaks :)
And forgive my ignorance if the rules have changed up there at FHL, I've heard rumors that they were considering changing things, but never heard confirmation.

PND

popndrop
10-15-2008, 12:45 PM

PND