PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Duck Hunting Thread...Wister/San Jacinto

Gunaria
10-09-2008, 8:18 AM
Alright so who has drawn a good number for next weekend 's opener? We (including my brother, a friend & myself) drew 100 for next Sunday. Now I know some of you may have drawn a better number but don't have a hunting buddy or a dog. Well my friend you are in luck because I have both. So if you need an extra person or two in your blind, hook a brotha up.

caduckgunner
10-09-2008, 8:37 AM
Good luck. I am going to miss the openner for the first time in years :(

10-09-2008, 6:45 PM
Alright so who has drawn a good number for next weekend 's opener? We (including my brother, a friend & myself) drew 100 for next Sunday. Now I know some of you may have drawn a better number but don't have a hunting buddy or a dog. Well my friend you are in luck because I have both. So if you need an extra person or two in your blind, hook a brotha up.

None of us got hit with a DFG postcard this year :(

We'll be there, all 4 of us on Friday at 10 PM.

I heard some news from a friend who lives in Niland and hunts there 3 times a week from the opener to the day the season ends. He visited me last week and said they did big changes at Wister - and they aren't exactly good changes. He told me to make sure I bring camo nets and blind materials because in many places that used to have natural cover there is none anymore. Just huge ponds - double the width they used to be and no vegetation, just barren dirt.

Gunaria
10-10-2008, 11:14 AM
None of us got hit with a DFG postcard this year :(

We'll be there, all 4 of us on Friday at 10 PM.

I heard some news from a friend who lives in Niland and hunts there 3 times a week from the opener to the day the season ends. He visited me last week and said they did big changes at Wister - and they aren't exactly good changes. He told me to make sure I bring camo nets and blind materials because in many places that used to have natural cover there is none anymore. Just huge ponds - double the width they used to be and no vegetation, just barren dirt.

Thanks for the heads up. Good thing I just bought a bunch of blind material. Good luck to you next week.

12gauge12
10-10-2008, 12:35 PM
sweat line for me. :(

Thanks for the heads up.

chris
10-10-2008, 3:14 PM
get drawn. HAH! that almost never happens for me. i was drawn for the first time at Wister last year after nothing for 5+ years. i don't count an opener draw. i'm not even gonna make the opener there this year i have to work.

i did go to the Kern opener and it was a smoker. limits in 1 1/2 hr.

Gunaria
10-15-2008, 10:29 PM
My brother and I are planning to go this Sunday. My new barrel for my Mossy 935 arrived this past weekend so I am gonna give it a try. I'll let you guys/gals know how it goes.

Gunaria
10-19-2008, 11:34 PM
From the board at Wister, over 1400 ducks were taken on Satuday's opener. Sunday not that many. There was a lot of shooting at the crack of dawn for about ten minutes, then it went dead.

10-20-2008, 2:10 PM
From the board at Wister, over 1400 ducks were taken on Satuday's opener. Sunday not that many. There was a lot of shooting at the crack of dawn for about ten minutes, then it went dead.

Thanks for the report, I couldn't make it on the opening day.
I got a low number reservation for this coming Sunday and I may have one open spot in the blind. If you are interested, PM me.

Gunaria
10-20-2008, 8:38 PM
Thanks for the report, I couldn't make it on the opening day.
I got a low number reservation for this coming Sunday and I may have one open spot in the blind. If you are interested, PM me.

You know I am thinking about it, but then I am thinking about another hunting buddy my mine. We invited him out for this past Sunday's hunt but he refuses to go out to Wister on Sundays. He will only go out on Wed. or Sat. I am starting to see why. The first 10 -15 minutes on a Sunday are fun but after that it's pretty dead. Thanks for the offer. Maybe you can take somebody that has never gone there.

On another note my brother and I are think of hitting San Jacinto this Wed.

10-21-2008, 7:27 AM
You know I am thinking about it, but then I am thinking about another hunting buddy my mine. We invited him out for this past Sunday's hunt but he refuses to go out to Wister on Sundays. He will only go out on Wed. or Sat. I am starting to see why. The first 10 -15 minutes on a Sunday are fun but after that it's pretty dead. Thanks for the offer. Maybe you can take somebody that has never gone there.

On another note my brother and I are think of hitting San Jacinto this Wed.

I didn't planned to stay there all day long, after the morning shoot I plan to go in the desert and do some rifle and handgun plinking then go back home by 11 or 12.

Gunaria
10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
My brother and I went to San Jacinto yesterday. We just barely made it in. We were next to the last ones called in off the sweat line. A lot of hunters showed up.

Now for the shooting report...

It was a fast, furious & fun early morning coot (with very few real ducks) shoot. Shoot time started at 6:27 AM. Whatever ducks were there were flying very high. Just as we where packed up and ready to leave the blind a group of Ruddy's flew over and I nailed one.

The thing that I was most happy with was the performance of my dog. Most duck hunters prefer Labs but you may recognize me, as the only one out there was a crazy German shorthaired pointer running around. She retrieved my brotherís coots and my Ruddy with ease. This was her second time hunting in a duck blind so I was not sure if she would retrieve ducks or not. She has brought back dove, quail, pheasants and pigeons before. So again I was happy to find out that I have a true all around hunting dog.

10-23-2008, 4:41 PM
Who trained your four legged hunting buddy? I'm thinking after my two old farts are crossing the rainbow bridge to keep the first Giant Schnauzer pup that gets into my rescue and train him to retrieve. Right now, George the Giant male that I have has very good instincts at tracking big game. In fact I will take whim with me tomorrow night on the East Fork, I'm trying to get my bear. Wish me luck.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1573/georgemk8.jpg

George is the big guy, first from the right.

Gunaria
10-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Who trained your four legged hunting buddy? I'm thinking after my two old farts are crossing the rainbow bridge to keep the first Giant Schnauzer pup that gets into my rescue and train him to retrieve. Right now, George the Giant male that I have has very good instincts at tracking big game. In fact I will take whim with me tomorrow night on the East Fork, I'm trying to get my bear. Wish me luck.

I had Olive Hills Kennels in Knight's Landing train my girl for about two weeks until she caught kennel cough. When I got my dog I paid for genetics for a hunting dog, not a show dog. So most of what she does is pure instinct. She was breed to hunt and she loves to be out in the field.

Good luck on getting that bear.