PDA

View Full Version : G34...sights way off ?

green grunt
10-06-2016, 3:27 PM
Just came back from a range trip , my brand new G34 sights have to be pegged all the way to the right just to hit the black at 20 yards , and it's still hitting to the left..

8" bull at 20 yards , don't have any pic's , how can this be fixed , should I contact Glock and complain ? I know most guys say just change out the rear sight to something else (better) , but shouldn't Glock factory sights be better then this ?

call Glock or spend $'s for a better rear sight ???

Semper Fi.

m850168
10-06-2016, 3:37 PM
I would have a known good pistol shooter confirm (I'm not that great, you might be though) and then talk to Glock. Assuming it's not shooter error, it sounds like there may be something wrong with the pistol and a new rear sight may not fix it.

EDIT: You may also be able to drift the rear sight to the right in the dovetail.

scadvice
10-06-2016, 3:38 PM
Have you shot Glocks before? The trigger tends to throw some off until they get use to it. It did me. Usually left and down slightly. I would bring a loose sand bag and bench shoot it first, just to be sure, before I go changing the sights.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 3:48 PM
http://s914.photobucket.com/user/cjperks/media/thumbnail_IMG_3265_zpsx9ksncfn.jpg.html]http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/cjperks/thumbnail_IMG_3265_zpsx9ksncfn.jpg

had a good rest to shoot from , had a few Glocks over the years , 1st time any trouble with a sight... on a Glock anyway...LOL

Che762x39
10-06-2016, 3:50 PM
With the Glock 26 I am low and left. The Glock 19 spot on.

How many rounds down range? You'll have a feel for trigger after three range trips and 500 rounds down range. I did 200 rounds first time out, then 150 and third visit 150 rounds. Glock Perfection is 99.44% so the odds are in your favor. :oji:

green grunt
10-06-2016, 3:54 PM
only got to shoot about 250 rds , mixed ammo , to check function and all....

shot very well , I like it , now just to find out whats up with the sights... or my old eyes ;)

DirtyRussianAmmo
10-06-2016, 3:57 PM
I recently bought a G34. The factory sights worked fine, but the adjustable rear sight is definitely junk. You could move it up and down with your finger. I upgraded to a Warren Tactical rear and Sevigny Competition fiber optic front. A world of difference. I love my G34. Total tac driver. But like I said, I was doing fine with the factory sights too.

What about your fundamentals? Grip. Trigger discipline. Sight alignment.

I am new to shooting pistols, and had to learn these fundamentals before I was making ragged holes in the bullseye.

Do you have other pistols that you shoot well? If so, maybe it IS the sights. If not, well, maybe it's something else...

m98
10-06-2016, 3:59 PM
Operator error. 'In before the glok perfection crowd arrives'.

scadvice
10-06-2016, 4:08 PM
http://s914.photobucket.com/user/cjperks/media/thumbnail_IMG_3265_zpsx9ksncfn.jpg.html]http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/cjperks/thumbnail_IMG_3265_zpsx9ksncfn.jpg

had a good rest to shoot from , had a few Glocks over the years , 1st time any trouble with a sight... on a Glock anyway...LOL

Looks like you answered my question and suggestion.:D

I once saw a guy test his sighting on a new gun he was having trouble with by taping three or four layers of Duck tape 5/8 " wide strips vertically on the right hand grip side back toward the palm to test that his grip was not the problem. He claimed the location and hit pattern would change if it was a grip problem and wouldn't if it was a sight or trigger problem. That's all I got. Let us know what you figure out.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 4:29 PM
half the fun is tinkering with it to get it the way you (I) want

very nice firearm , I like how it shoots , low recoil , good feel for a longer barrel and I like the longer sight radius and of course the much better trigger weight is a big plus.... I'll get it out some more before I mess with it , my buddy took the pic's but none of the targets we shot , he had no trouble bouncing a couple of those flubber bouncing targets around .... just could be me and my old eyes (:o )

Semper Fi.

HopetonBrown
10-06-2016, 4:48 PM
Just came back from a range trip , my brand new G34 sights have to be pegged all the way to the right just to hit the black at 20 yards , and it's still hitting to the left..

8" bull at 20 yards , don't have any pic's , how can this be fixed , should I contact Glock and complain ? I know most guys say just change out the rear sight to something else (better) , but shouldn't Glock factory sights be better then this ?

Semper Fi.

I don't know where my G34 factory adjustable sights are, as I promptly took them off when I received the gun and replaced them before I ever shot the gun.

What are your 20 yard groups like with a gun you've already been shooting?

It would be very, very surprising that it was the gun and not you. When right handed shooters miss, they tend to shoot left, or low left. See the previous poster by another member who was shooting low left.

Do you have a nice 4"ish group off the the left, or are they all over?

Buy a quality set of steel sights. I personally like a fiber optic front and a plain black rear. Dawson Precision makes a number of quality steel sights perfect for a G34.

I zero my pistols at 25 yards, I don't shoot from a rest.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 5:18 PM
I have heard that many guys take off the factory sights and go custom right away.

groups were about 3" and less with Rem. brass 115g ball 5 shot groups , much larger with the cheap stuff , but consistent with good ammo , all left and abit high at 10-11 o'clock with a 6 O'clock hold at 20yds , I've had a G17 (single pin) and G19 and a G30 (45 cost to much to feed:) 1st G34 I've owned or shot , handles a little better then my 92FS.
could be me.... but I think something is a miss with the rear sight.

Semper Fi.

(I may look into better sights but I will need to get it out abit more and get a few buddies to shoot it also and see how they do)

SkyHawk
10-06-2016, 6:01 PM
Post a pic of the muzzle. I think we have seen off center bores before, you may have a lemon...

Packy14
10-06-2016, 6:05 PM

Semper Fi.

The fix is really easy. Learn how to shoot. If you don't believe it, have someone who can shoot shoot your gun and show you that it is spot on.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 6:30 PM
well thanks for the vote of confidence "packy" I will have a few of my buddies Shoot Shoot my gun for me... and we will all have a great time too....

Semper Fi.

robledo
10-06-2016, 6:40 PM
I had a G34 with night sights that I could never get exactly where I wanted it to be on paper with the FMJs from my stash. I was spot on with every other 9mm Glock I own but that pistol would always pattern to the left no matter how I drifted the sights. Maybe it was the extra weight from the 34 slide (and yes the cut out is meant to negate that, I know), maybe it was the extra velocity from the barrel length....I had no idea. Wound up selling it and I don't regret it.

usmcspud
10-06-2016, 6:43 PM
Sounds like Green Grunt knows how to shoot by his experience and nice groups. Send it back.
Semper-Fi, Jarhead!

Aidenpeacemaker
10-06-2016, 6:46 PM
You ain't the only one. I just bought my 34 a few weeks ago. not new to glocks. and the gun was off 3 inches to the left. I also had my friend shoot it and it was off. I got some good groups 1 inch at 10 yrds not far with that gun..but all left.. I also shoot it off the bench to confirm.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 7:00 PM
This being my 4th Glock (3rd in 9mm) I really like it , will see what I can do on the next range trip (with a few other shooters that are better then I) and we will run that 9mm hard and see if it is the sights , got a buddy that has a sight pusher , might try and move the sight abit and give that a go , will drop a "e" to the Glock service dept. and see what they say also.
Thanks for all the input....

(usmcspud................ Semper Fi. brother ! )

Win231
10-06-2016, 7:00 PM
The fix is really easy. Learn how to shoot. If you don't believe it, have someone who can shoot shoot your gun and show you that it is spot on.

Yup, never miss an opportunity to feel good about yourself through put-down artistry. Not a good way to raise your low self esteem.

Win231
10-06-2016, 7:07 PM
This being my 4th Glock (3rd in 9mm) I really like it , will see what I can do on the next range trip (with a few other shooters that are better then I) and we will run that 9mm hard and see if it is the sights , got a buddy that has a sight pusher , might try and move the sight abit and give that a go , will drop a "e" to the Glock service dept. and see what they say also.
Thanks for all the input....

(usmcspud................ Semper Fi. brother ! )

Sight pusher is a good idea; especially if the sight is visibly not centered in the dovetail. My Gen 3 34 hits POI & I never had to adjust it. At 100 yds. from my shooting bag, it hits steel targets that are around 4" in diameter. But my Model 21 that came with fixed sights always shot high. Glock night sights fixed it. I think some Glocks are assembled with the wrong rear sights.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 7:17 PM
ok........... quick question ......... how many Glock owners with factory adj. sights chance them out to fixed sights... being an ol' Marine ...if it moves I/we can break it...and fixed sights just might be better (?)

Semper Fi.

HopetonBrown
10-06-2016, 7:21 PM
ok........... quick question ......... how many Glock owners with factory adj. sights chance them out to fixed sights... being an ol' Marine ...if it moves I/we can break it...and fixed sights just might be better (?)

Semper Fi.

Give a Marine 2 ball bearings and he'll lose one, and break the other;-)

All my Glocks have aftermarket steel fixed sights.

If I was gonna do adjustables, which I might if I get another G34, I'd get the Dawson adjustable plain black rear with a fiber front. I am really finicky about all my pistols printing where I want them to at 25 yards. The Dawsons are nicely dehorned, with no crazy blades or sharp edges.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 7:43 PM
"Give a Marine 2 ball bearings and he'll lose one, and break the other;-)"

well........I've done that , was replacing a set of bearings on a GammaGoat and lost a few and crushed the rest ... LoL

like the sound of the Dawson sights , are they all adj. or do they make fixed also?

Semper Fi.

SkyHawk
10-06-2016, 7:49 PM
I can crush clays at 75 yards with my G34 Gen 3, from a standing position. I use factory adjustable rear and a Dawson fiber front.

Look at this guy's Glock - this is how it arrived, with a wonky crown. I wasn't joking when I said post a pic of the muzzle...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=15405649&postcount=123

http://cdn.imageserver.c-m-g.us/glocktalk_com/19/(null)/157124-1417839410.jpg

liberty47
10-06-2016, 7:57 PM
You shoot other guns accurately? After looking at the pics, I would not be able to shoot accuratley with my thumbs placed they way yours are on the pistol.

green grunt
Wow............... before you posted that I looked ! I just looked again .. mine looks centered and good and clean , no burs or nicks either..no wobble to the slide and barrel lock up is tight.

I'd be upset big time to see that on any new Glock ....someone must have been in the beer garden to long to let that get out.

Semper Fi.

HopetonBrown
like the sound of the Dawson sights , are they all adj. or do they make fixed also?

I like the Dawson Chargers (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-glock-fixed-charger-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/), which are fixed. $80 for an all black rear and a fiber optic front. If the gun doesn't print the way you like it they'll send you a different height front sight at no charge.

I believe they give a 10% discount for LE/MIL, not sure if it extends to retired. Give them a call.

scadvice
10-06-2016, 8:22 PM
I put Meprolight Tru-Dot Night Sights on my Glock 27. The only problem was the front sight wobbled so I had to shim it to center. At about a 1000 rounds with no problems now. Got them from Optics Planet for the best price then a little over 80 bucks as I recall.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 8:25 PM
You shoot other guns accurately? After looking at the pics, I would not be able to shoot accuratley with my thumbs placed they way yours are on the pistol.

I try to keep both thumbs pointed down range , not perfect... but works good for me , and works well on my 92FS and my Combat Commander.. not a Pepsi can safe out to 25yrds ... :)

Semper Fi.

green grunt
10-06-2016, 8:27 PM
I like the Dawson Chargers (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-glock-fixed-charger-sight-set-black-rear-fiber-optic-front/), which are fixed. $80 for an all black rear and a fiber optic front. If the gun doesn't print the way you like it they'll send you a different height front sight at no charge.

I believe they give a 10% discount for LE/MIL, not sure if it extends to retired. Give them a call.

Thanks for the link ...... saved that page and will keep them in mind , sights look ... slick....I like.

Semper Fi.

Waffleobill
10-06-2016, 8:46 PM
I can crush clays at 75 yards with my G34 Gen 3, from a standing position. I use factory adjustable rear and a Dawson fiber front.

Look at this guy's Glock - this is how it arrived, with a wonky crown. I wasn't joking when I said post a pic of the muzzle...

Holy crap! How did that leave the factory?

Waffleobill
10-06-2016, 8:59 PM
I try to keep both thumbs pointed down range , not perfect... but works good for me , and works well on my 92FS and my Combat Commander.. not a Pepsi can safe out to 25yrds ... :)

Semper Fi.

Try moving your right thumb higher up closer to the slide pointing forward horizontally, resting atop your left thumb. Rest your left Palm heel against the grip and rest your left thumb against the frame horizontal near the takedown lever, also pointing forward.

Google Rob Leatham grip and look at the images.

Aidenpeacemaker
10-06-2016, 9:22 PM
If you have a g34 it should have factory adjustable

Packy14
10-06-2016, 9:34 PM
Yup, never miss an opportunity to feel good about yourself through put-down artistry. Not a good way to raise your low self esteem.

Not really. Most unfamiliar with glocks shoot low left... The same gun in the hands of a proficient Glock shooter will be spot on.

HopetonBrown
10-06-2016, 9:50 PM
How to grip a gun from a USPSA Grand Master and former LEO.

45QhpvY9LZc

How to grip a gun from a USPSA Grand Master and former Army Ranger.

KJrA7wMXuuQ

How to trip a gun from a former SEAL Team 6 operator/instructor.

wcVHykd3zTU

ElDub1950
10-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the link ...... saved that page and will keep them in mind , sights look ... slick....I like.

Semper Fi.

I'm selling a new set. See sig link.

Steponmytoes
10-06-2016, 11:24 PM
You can grip the gun lower and it wont impact accuracy so much as controlling recoil for follow up shots, the instructor in the 3rd video even said so. Good trigger control can be had with a variety of grip styles. dont think OPs problems stem from his grip.

How to grip a gun from a USPSA Grand Master and former LEO.

45QhpvY9LZc

How to grip a gun from a USPSA Grand Master and former Army Ranger.

KJrA7wMXuuQ

How to trip a gun from a former SEAL Team 6 operator/instructor.

wcVHykd3zTU

HopetonBrown
10-07-2016, 7:48 AM
You can grip the gun lower and it wont impact accuracy so much as controlling recoil for follow up shots, the instructor in the 3rd video even said so. Good trigger control can be had with a variety of grip styles. dont think OPs problems stem from his grip.

I've spent time with the instructor in the 3rd vid, thanks. I don't think the OPs problem stems from his grip, either. Shooting slowly and accurately is the easy part, you can do that with any grip. Quickly and accurately is the hard part.

DCF
10-07-2016, 8:08 AM
I have seen my friends gen 3 glock 34 and my gen 4 glock 34 with the rear sight drifted to the right to shoot center. Just not as extreme as in your case.

Do you have a laser bore sight to verify if the bore of the barrel is center or not?

green grunt
10-07-2016, 8:25 AM
don't have a laser to check that....

lots of input and ideas , I will keep at it and see if it's me as has been suggested ...but then it just might be a bad Glock sight , after looking it over again (3rd-4th time) , the rear sight is very easy to move with my finger , not so much side to side as elev. , when I move the windage screw I see that the elev. changes also (up).... meaning that when I turn the screw all the way left I can see that the sight moves up as it travels right to left....strange?

want to see if this can be fixed before I buy any new sights , need to be sure it is the sights and not something else.....

Semper Fi.

96chevjumps
10-07-2016, 12:21 PM
I have had a lot of glocks. Most g34 g35 g41 adjustable rear sights have some play in the windage. If you put a little side to side on the center portion of the rear you can get a little movement and that translates a lot of windage deviation down range. I find 90% of glocks shoot dead straight even out to 150 plus yards but i have had a g17 that needed the rear sight pushed to the right to get it to shoot perfect at extended ranges.

HopetonBrown
10-07-2016, 3:08 PM
want to see if this can be fixed before I buy any new sights

Someone once wrote that keeping the factory sights on a Glock is like keeping the photos that came with your picture frames.

Win231
10-07-2016, 5:54 PM
Obviously many people here have never seen a gun firing in slo-mo; so slow that you can see the bullet leave the barrel.

The bullet is long gone way before the gun even starts to recoil. That's why the grip has absolutely no effect on where the bullet hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9apnbI6GA

HopetonBrown
10-07-2016, 10:08 PM
That's why the grip has absolutely no effect on where the bullet hits

Most people miss because somewhere between where they begin to press the trigger and the gun discharging, they've managed to point the gun somewhere else other than where they wanted the bullet to impact.

This is either from a pre-ignition flinch, or an imperfect trigger press. A firm grip can help with the latter.

I think that grip is one of the most overlooked elements in shooting a pistol.

green grunt
10-12-2016, 4:27 PM
OK....... pushed the rear sight to the right... just to the edge of the slide cut out , 1/8th" maybe (?) zeroed the sight to center and went to the indoor range in E.G.

only had to move the rear sight 2 clicks to the right and it's on now , only took the target out to 15yds (that place is to dark for my ol'eyes) and was center hits on a 8" shoot N see target ... now that I know it's just the rear sight , I'm going to look in to diff. sights , something brighter....

thanks for all the input/info !

Semper Fi.

tbc
10-12-2016, 4:50 PM

Who ever own this Glock he/she should keep it. This one is definitely a collectible item.