PDA

View Full Version : Reeds Indoor Range & OLLs

Rob Roy
10-05-2008, 5:33 PM
Anybody knows if Reeds Indoor Range allows to shoot AR with a .22 upper or a Ceiner kit?

mooster
10-05-2008, 5:56 PM
I've fired with my M261 kit several times over there with no issue.

bwiese
10-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't think there's an issue there with legal rifles used in a safe & sane fashion, but am not sure if their range may not be set up for rifle rounds (223/308 etc) - may be limited to pistol carbine rounds (9mm etc.)

SJgunguy24
10-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Reeds indoor has carbine classes there. Not sure if they'll let you blast away without paying the extra to be in their class.

GI_JOE
10-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Not a problem, they are OLL friendly. As stated by bwiese, pistol carbine rounds only. I have brought in a legally configured AR 9mm, HK USC and Coharie MP5 clone in with no hassle. I actually had a couple of the ROs ask if they could try them out.

Rob Roy
10-06-2008, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

EOD3
10-06-2008, 8:03 PM
I didn't think anyone would do business with reeds anymore.

ghost
10-06-2008, 8:05 PM
I didn't think anyone would do business with reeds anymore.

please explain???

EOD3
10-06-2008, 8:10 PM
They were (3-4 years ago) not well known for dealing honestly with customers.

One Shot, One Dropped
10-06-2008, 9:37 PM
Well, if you read their rules, it says that (probably because they are an indoor range) that no rifle cartridges are allowed (whether in a pistol or a rifle). I think that a .22lr upper might be acceptable, but you should probably just call first...

bwiese
10-06-2008, 11:35 PM
They were (3-4 years ago) not well known for dealing honestly with customers.

I've not heard of anything below-board at Reed's Range. Not sure about Reed's/Alum Rock, but that's a done deal now.

EOD3
10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm speaking of the store on Alum Rock. I don't have any experience with the indoor range. I thought the same people bought the range when it became obvious the Alum Rock store's FFL was going up in flames...

Mississippi
10-07-2008, 6:51 PM
I was just in Reeds and they gave me all kinda trouble about my AR with a prince 50. They told me that they only allowed monster man in their classes and you can not shoot .223 in their indoor range. I shop there a lot and found them very helpful but very stand off to OLLs.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-07-2008, 8:17 PM
unless something has drastically changed, the backstop is rated for 2000 fps continuous RHA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolled_homogeneous_armour)= 2" - and 3000 fps intermittent.

That means that you can hit it with pretty much anything moving 2000 fps all day and night and it won't fail.

Anything 3000 fps continuous and you're going to to hot spots where the armor fatigues at a much higher rate which equals break through. With a rifle, at 25 yards, unless your a complete idiot, all of your shots are hitting in an area the size of your fist. Which means the armor is being stressed at the same spot, continuously.

Which is *not* cool.

We'd function test 5.56 and 7.62 in there but we'd be sure and not aim at the same spot twice.

EDIT: in case any one is curious, the back stop armor at Reed's ( formerly National Shooting Club thank you very much ) was procured (never mind how) from the FMC/United Defense (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/industry/udi.htm) plant down the road ( the guys that build the Bradley FV) in 8' by 4' sheets and welded into place.

maxicon
10-08-2008, 1:35 PM
I've taken my DPMS .22 A2 OLL in there a number of times with no issues. Nobody's even mentioned it.

Bowser
10-08-2008, 2:07 PM
Shoot it at Target Masters, as long as it's configured properly no one will give you any problem, although customers are bound to ask you what it is and if they can shoot it. Also it must be pistol calibers too. .22 to 44mag only. No 17hmr or 22 hornet or something like that.

gose
10-08-2008, 2:17 PM
unless something has drastically changed, the backstop is rated for 2000 fps continuous RHA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolled_homogeneous_armour)= 2" - and 3000 fps intermittent.
That means that you can hit it with pretty much anything moving 2000 fps all day and night and it won't fail.
Anything 3000 fps continuous and you're going to to hot spots where the armor fatigues at a much higher rate which equals break through. With a rifle, at 25 yards, unless your a complete idiot, all of your shots are hitting in an area the size of your fist. Which means the armor is being stressed at the same spot, continuously.
Which is *not* cool.
We'd function test 5.56 and 7.62 in there but we'd be sure and not aim at the same spot twice
EDIT: in case any one is curious, the back stop armor at Reed's ( formerly National Shooting Club thank you very much ) was procured (never mind how) from the FMC/United Defense (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/industry/udi.htm) plant down the road ( the guys that build the Bradley FV) in 8' by 4' sheets and welded into place.

Now they have a big pile of shredded rubber in front of the steel backstop. Not sure how thick it is and if it really does anything to slow down bullets, or if its mainly to stop ricochets and splatter.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-08-2008, 2:26 PM
Now they have a big pile of shredded rubber in front of the steel backstop. Not sure how thick it is and if it really does anything to slow down bullets, or if its mainly to stop ricochets and splatter.
Ah! Okay, yeah I've seen that type of "backstop" before. In fact Santa Clara PD has that in their 50 yard indoor range ( which is awesome! ) they just build it back up every so often with show shovels. Then they use a screen table to filter out the rounds from the tire shreds every blue moon.

Rob Roy
10-09-2008, 8:04 PM
There is a container put behind back wall, which probably filled with something. I think that kind of setup can stop rifle rounds easily.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-10-2008, 8:02 AM
^ you mean the storage container in the back parking lot? That's for lead and brass storage from cleaning the range, or at least it was.

Trust me, rifle rounds aren't going to get through the armor AND the sandbags behind the backstop AND the concrete of the wall. Not gonna happen.

EDIT: Someone PM's me on this a while back:

"When we were building the place we tested the armor because we were curious (and just 'cause we like shooting stuff) with a bunch of rifle rounds to see what would punch through on the first shot and as I recall the only round that actually penetrated on the first shot was some older 30-06 armor piercing (go figure). .308 and regular 30-06 dimpled it but didn't penetrate.

We'd have to go out and repair the welds holding the plates together every six months or so but that was about it.

AND! I don't know if they still do this but we had piled up sandbags BEHIND the armor of the backstop. Then you have the actual reinforced concrete of the back wall itself, which is about six inches thick.

So for handgun rounds to do what your describing they'd have to penetrate the 1/4 armor plate, then go through three or four thicknesses of sandbags and THEN go through the back six inches of concrete wall.

Not very likely.

With all that being said, we used to get questions from customers all the time asking about what they thought looked like bullet holes on the external walls of the building.
What those are is pretty simple; the walls are reinforced concrete with stucco on the outside; the stucco is held up by a wire mesh embedded in it. Over time, you'll get cracks and potholes in the stucco which exposes the wire which then rusts which gives the hole thing the look of a bullet hole pockmark."