PDA

View Full Version : Not another upper poll!

asymmetricalwarfar3
10-05-2008, 2:08 PM
If you had to choose one....which upper would you go with?

bombadillo
10-05-2008, 3:44 PM
Addax for the customer service and awesome product.

Linus
10-05-2008, 3:52 PM
If you have the cash for the Addax upper I would go with the LMT Monolithic (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1031) rail platform instead, which is my Dream upper.:D

stphnman20
10-05-2008, 3:53 PM
Yeah hit up Addax. They will take care of you!

X-NewYawker
10-05-2008, 4:12 PM
Got Addax AND LMT --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4827.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4824.jpg

Addax is California Company who built my gun (quickly) EXACTLY the way I wanted it with the exact parts I picked out.
LMT real military M-4 contractor -- Addax local and deals with problems ASAP --

asymmetricalwarfar3
10-05-2008, 4:24 PM
Doesn't the MRP come only in carbine and rifle lengths? I guess my question is when looking at gas systems (DI), the mid-length is "preferred" but do the arguments (for it) apply to gas pistons as well or is it not relevant?

nobs11
10-05-2008, 4:31 PM
What are you looking for? Reliability? Easier to clean? Go for a GP.

I'd like to see a N4 Recce DI accuracy tested against a GP. I'd wager that all other things being equal (optics, ammo, lower, shooter), the Recce will outperform the GP. I know GPs are generally liked, but I still haven't seen one that can do sub-MOA. Not minute of man or "generally in the bullseye," 5 shots under an inch at 100yd. The Noveske has the potential to do that.

So it depends on your purpose.

aplinker
10-05-2008, 4:31 PM
Doesn't the MRP come only in carbine and rifle lengths? I guess my question is when looking at gas systems (DI), the mid-length is "preferred" but do the arguments (for it) apply to gas pistons as well or is it not relevant?

LMT MRP come in regular and CQB versions, but this is in reference to the rail length

The 16" barrel is mid length for the gas system - you can see it peeking from underneath the rail in XNY's post above.

What are you looking for? Reliability? Easier to clean? Go for a GP.

I'd like to see a N4 Recce DI accuracy tested against a GP. I'd wager that all other things being equal (optics, ammo, lower, shooter), the Recce will outperform the GP.

Can we stop this BS please? The DI system is not unreliable and many of the issues that come up are due to carbine gas systems.

The Noveske N4 is widely considered one of the most accurate chrome lined barrel.

If you're shooting 4MOA ammo with a stock trigger and unmagnified optics off-hand.... how would you tell what's more accurate?

BlackDrop50
10-05-2008, 4:56 PM
I went with a Noveske 16 " Recce Lo-Pro over a Gas Piston Upper. Accuracy and I don't shoot thousands of rounds all the time, can clean my rifle normally.

USN CHIEF
10-05-2008, 5:25 PM
Another vote for Addax.

nobs11
10-05-2008, 5:55 PM
Can we stop this BS please? The DI system is not unreliable and many of the issues that come up are due to carbine gas systems.

The Noveske N4 is widely considered one of the most accurate chrome lined barrel.

If you're shooting 4MOA ammo with a stock trigger and unmagnified optics off-hand.... how would you tell what's more accurate?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I have never advocated a GP system. I said "people believe" that they are more reliable.

I have a Noveske and a Larue and both shoot sub-MOA with good glass and a good trigger.

So lets couple a good scope, match ammo and a good trigger with a GP upper and have an apples to apples comparison. Based on what I've seen, high end DI uppers will be more accurate. But I could be proven wrong. I don't have the money to do this test but maybe someone else does.

X-NewYawker
10-05-2008, 5:57 PM
I do and I will test this week.

nobs11
10-05-2008, 5:57 PM
I do and I will test this week.

Perfect! Thanks.

aplinker
10-05-2008, 6:00 PM
-snip-

Didn't mean anything personal and it wasn't directed wholly at you.

10-05-2008, 6:00 PM
I voted for Addax.

nobs11
10-05-2008, 6:10 PM
Didn't mean anything personal and it wasn't directed wholly at you.

No worries. I'm sick of the GP/DI debate as well. All I'm saying is that lets test the two for accuracy, side by side, by changing as few variables as possible. I don't have enough time, money, ammo or the desire to put ten thousand rounds downrange without cleaning to warrant a GP system. But to each his own.

Addax
10-05-2008, 11:33 PM
UclaPlinker is right that many of the DI issues revolve around the Carbine, since they get dirtier faster, but the DI design no matter if it is Carbine, Mid-Length or Rifle Length will get dirty and hot in the Upper Receiver and Bolt Carrier Group when you shoot allot of rounds.

This eventually causes stoppages in operation, unless you keep your AR upper and bolt carrier clean or constantly lubricated.

The DI vs. GP debate will always go on, but the Gas Piston Uppers we build are an excellent option for the AR15 owner, and they offer a level of enhanced reliability over a DI system without having to sacrifice AR Ergonomics and AR Accuracy.

aplinker
10-06-2008, 1:20 AM
If money is no issue... have Addax put the PWS system onto an N4 RECCE basic and add a DD rail.

If money is an issue, you get more barrel for it from Noveske, since you're not spending it on the piston system. Barrel, carrier, trigger. In that order. I would consider a GP after those three.

Addax
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Noveske makes an Excellent Barrel, but so does Sabre Defence, which we will be using on our Combat and Elite Series Gas Piston Uppers as soon as we receive our barrels from them.

The Sabre Defence Barrels are IMHO at the same level as Noveske, and Sabre uses the same steel in their AR15/M4/M16 barrels as they do for the .50 Caliber Machine Gun Barrels they mfg. for the US Military.

I have already built a Gas Piston Upper for a SWAT Team using a Sabre 18" Mid-Length Fluted barrel, and they say it is a Tack Driver, and I working on obtaining a testimonial and reference from them.:D

X-NewYawker
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
DI meets GP. Tomorrow

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4947.jpg

dlouie87
10-28-2008, 1:17 PM
update?

asymmetricalwarfar3
10-28-2008, 1:58 PM
yeah...IDK if he (x-ny) ever got to do the comparison....

as far as what upper to get....it's still up in the air.....decisions....decisions....

interesting results so far on the poll....split right down the middle, like my situation.......