PDA

View Full Version : marlin model 60 sight question

nlpro
10-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I just bought a marlin model 60 from a guy i work with for 30 bucks an old beater not shot much but ride around under the seat of a truck for 20 years . it had a broken trigger gard and tube i found those parts on e gun parts . also so dirty it wont operate full of dirt lol but thats easy to clean with boiling water bath or break clean .What i can not seem to find for it are i would like to put a set of fiber optic sights on it front or both but i can not find any fiber optic sights for marlin model 60 .
so long story short Anyone one now where to get fiber optic sights for a marlin model 60?

SJgunguy24
10-05-2008, 2:08 PM
Those double as a club......and not a very good one either.

Check Brownelles, but I wouldn't waste the money.

bigthaiboy
10-06-2008, 12:44 AM
[QUOTE=SJgunguy24;1589009]Those double as a club......and not a very good one either.
QUOTE]

Umm, if they're not very good, how come Marlin has sold 11 million Model 60s, the best selling american rifle of all time. My vote is that 11 million American gun buyers have NOT been buying c*** since 1960.

I have a 1974 Glenfield 60 18+1rd mag tube I bought for $55.00, and it's a great little rifle.

I've never seen fiber optics sights for the Model 60. There is definitely is a real shortage of aftermarket products for the Marlin rimfire rifles, unlike the Ruger 10/22 where it seems everybody and their dog are making stuff for it.

How about just putting on an inexpensive scope or red dot sight on your Marlin instead, since Mod. 60s have a 3/8 dovetail scope rail on the receiver?

nlpro
10-06-2008, 7:07 AM
it is a nice little gun just has been abused it is also an 18+1 i think that is a good idea ill pick up a red dot bsa at walmart or someplace and keep the stock sights. sense i had no luck finding fiber optic iron sights for it lol .

DULLYJAY
10-06-2008, 8:35 AM

Thats funny. I have one and it shoots better than a lot of out the box 10-22's
For parts, I don't know.

dilligaffrn
10-06-2008, 12:14 PM

The Marlin Model 60 was the 1st rifle I purchased for myself at the age of 18 (1985), good shooter, went toe to toe with many Ruger 10/22's at informal range contests in the 80's and won. I still have a Model 60 and it shoots straight and is less picky about ammo than my 10/22.

As far as a sight, call Marlin, they sent me a new front sight for no cost when mine flew off.

SJgunguy24
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
The one i've got jams up with everything. I've tried at least 10 different loads. I've cleaned it over and over and I even replaced the bolt and it still jams. FTF FTE and double feeds, it awasn't worth the 100$ i spent for it new. It was reliable for maybe 1000 rds. and I sent it back. Marlin said it was fine. It's a POS

dilligaffrn
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
The one i've got jams up with everything. I've tried at least 10 different loads. I've cleaned it over and over and I even replaced the bolt and it still jams. FTF FTE and double feeds, it awasn't worth the 100$ i spent for it new. It was reliable for maybe 1000 rds. and I sent it back. Marlin said it was fine. It's a POS

Over the past 25 years or so I have owned and/or shot over 20 different Model 60's and I have seen only one act as you described. I have also had a like number of experiences with the Ruger 10/22 and have seen issues with about 25% of them. I like and own both, but the Marlin has a better track record with ME.

JMHO

M. Sage
10-06-2008, 12:46 PM

There's obviously something going wrong, I've got a Marlin 60 that's as old as I am that cycles everything I've thrown at it, including Aguila SSS (basically a .22 short with a long, heavy bullet that gives you the OAL of a .22 long), though that stuff didn't have enough MV to stabilize and tumbled like mad through the air. It was still pretty damn accurate at 50 yards, though!

If you're in San Jose, hit the next shoot-n-q and I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. I've fixed a couple of small issues with my Marlin and have a good idea how it works.

SJgunguy24
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
It was a good shooter when it would run, just it's more frustrating than fun. Where are the shoot and q's held?

M. Sage
10-06-2008, 4:02 PM
Chabot. Keep your eye on the Shoots and Meets forum, we should be gearing up for another at Thanksgiving.

Guntech
10-06-2008, 4:21 PM
[QUOTE=SJgunguy24;1589009]Those double as a club......and not a very good one either.
QUOTE]

Umm, if they're not very good, how come Marlin has sold 11 million Model 60s, the best selling american rifle of all time. My vote is that 11 million American gun buyers have NOT been buying c*** since 1960.

I have a 1974 Glenfield 60 18+1rd mag tube I bought for $55.00, and it's a great little rifle.

I've never seen fiber optics sights for the Model 60. There is definitely is a real shortage of aftermarket products for the Marlin rimfire rifles, unlike the Ruger 10/22 where it seems everybody and their dog are making stuff for it.

How about just putting on an inexpensive scope or red dot sight on your Marlin instead, since Mod. 60s have a 3/8 dovetail scope rail on the receiver?

+1 shot many a squirrels with one from the 60's. Still flawless and shoots great.

bigthaiboy
10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
it is a nice little gun just has been abused it is also an 18+1 i think that is a good idea ill pick up a red dot bsa at walmart or someplace and keep the stock sights. sense i had no luck finding fiber optic iron sights for it lol .

Yep same as mine, then. Another thing which would make it difficult to adapt fiber optic sights meant for another rifle (say, a 10/22) is the front sight unit, on the longer barrel / mag tube pre-1984 models. The front sight unit is also the band that holds your mag tube in place. Replacing that, would require you to rethink how the mag tube is held in place.

SJgunguy24, sorry to hear your Mod. 60 is problematic. I guess with everything mechanical, there's always going to be a small percentage of lemons. With me, it's a Romanian WASR-22. I'm ready to back my car over it repeatedly, just out of frustration.

nlpro. In case you don't know how old your Mod 60 is, use the first two numbers of the serial number and subtract it by the year 2000. Eg. Serial no. 26******** from 2000 is 1974.

BTW. Here's a picture of my Model 60.

Bobula
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
First rifle I ever bought
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/bobulaondeck/BP-0077.jpg

nlpro
10-07-2008, 5:47 AM
Yep same as mine, then. Another thing which would make it difficult to adapt fiber optic sights meant for another rifle (say, a 10/22) is the front sight unit, on the longer barrel / mag tube pre-1984 models. The front sight unit is also the band that holds your mag tube in place. Replacing that, would require you to rethink how the mag tube is held in place.

nlpro. In case you don't know how old your Mod 60 is, use the first two numbers of the serial number and subtract it by the year 2000. Eg. Serial no. 26******** from 2000 is 1974.

BTW. Here's a picture of my Model 60.

the first two numbers in my serial are 17 so thats 1983 also the front sight is not attached like that it is screwed to the top of the barrel with a single screw, the mag tube band is dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel . i am fixing the mag tube dovetail right now it was deformed and let the tube flop around