PDA

View Full Version : birchwood casey cold blue review

redneckshootist
10-04-2008, 5:38 PM
so my buddy came over today to build his romy and he brought over the birchwood casey cold blue kit, so I decided to write up a short review of the product. I let him apply the blue and told him that the prep was the most importain part. he read and followed the instructions and this is how it turned out

Before blueing
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z240/redneckshootist/akblue001.jpg

during notice becks beer on the table
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z240/redneckshootist/akblue008.jpg
first coat
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z240/redneckshootist/akblue009.jpg
second coat
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z240/redneckshootist/akblue010.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good, not bad for a cheap finish

bigthaiboy
10-04-2008, 5:53 PM
I like the Birchwood Casey Super Blue, as it comes out darker, almost black.

tankerman
10-04-2008, 6:01 PM
What till you've taken the gun out a few times, it doesn't wear well.......at all. Expect it to wear off fairly quickly.

savasyn
10-04-2008, 8:08 PM
Might rust as well. Almost everything I've blued with that stuff needs to be soaked in oil to avoid rust. Seems to attract and hold moisture or something.

caldude
10-04-2008, 9:23 PM
I've tried the Birchwood Casey stuff, Brownells Oxpho-Blue, and Blue Wonder. My favorite by far is Blue Wonder. It's easier to work with and gives the best results, a dark, almost black, blue. The others only resulted in weak, streaky blue jobs. I've done several touch-ups with Blue Wonder, and you'd have to look close to see the difference from the factory blue. With the other bluing products, it was obvious where the touch-up was.

redneckshootist
10-04-2008, 9:40 PM
just for everyone to know this ak reciever wasnt mine I would have hot blued it or parked the reciever. since my buddy is building the gun he gets to do what he wants so he is experimenting with finishes before he completes the gun, he is only using my tools and getting guidance from me and it was a flat build. He purchaced the blue kit and if it deosnt turn out the way he want he will strip it and do something else so he will see in the morning how it looks. directions said to let it soak over night in gun oil.

ETA: he took the gun home, since Im not a licensed gunsmith he cant leave it here.

bohoki
10-04-2008, 11:49 PM
anybody know what the black oxide coating is that they put on screws? i wish they could bottle that

my m1 carbine has a green finish i wish i could replicate that

gunrun45
10-05-2008, 1:36 AM
+1000 for blue wonder.
Birchwood casey stinks to high heaven and wears horribly.
So far I've redone the barrel of a winchester 94, a ruger P89 and I'm about to do the frame of my makarov with blue wonder. This stuff is great. I'll never use anything else again :)

Jpach
10-05-2008, 1:44 AM
The others only resulted in weak, streaky blue jobs.

Dont you just hate weak streaky BJs?

saki302
10-05-2008, 3:56 AM
The green on the M1 Carbine is probably old parkerizing- the gray turns green with age (or you can artificially turn new gray park green with chemicals).

I had good luck with Brownells blue- not sure if it's Oxpho or one of the other ones they sell, mine's an old bottle :D

If you don't care about wasting some of it, if you totally clean the part and fill a stainless tray with the blue soolution and dunk the part in it, it turns it a nice dark black, and puts a thicker more durable coating on it.
You will still need to oil it well, or it can rust.

Nothing beats a home park job for durability (as far as DIY goes).

-Dave

redneckshootist
10-05-2008, 5:33 PM
ok my buddy brought over his reciever today and there is some surface rust, inside the mag catch. Im thinking he didnt apply it good enough cause the rust is only in that area and it is a hard to get to spot. I told him mabey next time we should dunk it instead of try to swab it on, so when he comes over later this week he's gonna try that. The rest of the reciever looks pretty good.

Guntech
10-05-2008, 7:02 PM
I hate bluing so I am biased ;)