PDA

View Full Version : I finally took the first step...

Trendkill
10-04-2008, 8:28 AM
I went down to the San Jose Gun Exchange yesterday and ordered a complete Spike's Tactical Lower half.......

So.....now I'm looking for the upper.

Sorry if any of my statements are retarded or need correction......this will be my first "Black Rifle" so I am learning as I go.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a good upper assembly?? I am looking for a flat top type AR upper....with mid length quad-rail handguard....

I'm looking to have a A.R.M.S. buis in the rear......w/ a weaver/picatinny style gas block in place of an A2 post...with a flip up front sight in place......and I eventually want to have an eotech or aimpoint optic......most likely an aimpoint.

Any suggestions??? Correction's?? Terminology adjustments?

X-NewYawker
10-04-2008, 8:39 AM
Call Chris at ADDAX he has a great selection of DI and GPU uppers. And their finish will match the Spike's lower -- That's important as a parkerized gray upper with anodized black lower looks too funky.

Trendkill
10-04-2008, 8:55 AM
Call Chris at ADDAX he has a great selection of DI and GPU uppers. And their finish will match the Spike's lower -- That's important as a parkerized gray upper with anodized black lower looks too funky.

Does he have a website??

X-NewYawker
10-04-2008, 9:01 AM
He has a link at the top of teh page here -- and in the forum jump below under "VENDORS"

Trendkill
10-04-2008, 9:17 AM
Is a gas-piston upper really the way to go?? Is a standard upper really that bad??

I want to make the right choice......

aplinker
10-04-2008, 2:01 PM

What are you talking about? No uppers are parkerized. They're aluminum and anodized. Some use Teflon, some don't. That can be easily blended (and should be) with a coat of CLP.

Matching the look of your upper and lower, I would hope, is somewhere around priority #20 of how to build a good rifle.

Is a gas-piston upper really the way to go?? Is a standard upper really that bad??

I want to make the right choice......

No, it's really unnecessary for anything but a very short (<14.5") carbine.

Check my signature thread for some help.

With the availability of Bravo Company's 16" mid-length uppers again, if you can afford the small stretch in price, you'll be getting top-notch quality.

BCM upper + BCM bolt carrier group + mid-length handguard (Cavalry has some cheap ones that are nice) + rear BUIS for about $700

I would argue this is one of, if not the top field worthy rifle you can get on a very reasonable budget.

Trendkill
10-04-2008, 6:01 PM
Thankyou very much for the help....I am indeed a rifle noob....let alone AR style rifles.....but I'm a quick learner.

I appreciate as much input as possible.....the more the better.

I will investigate any and every link provided. Thanks UCLA and Yawker.

Mark One
10-04-2008, 8:08 PM
I am picking up a BMC upper next week. After that I will need to slow down on the part buying.

Addax
10-04-2008, 9:13 PM
Hello Trend Kill,

Gas Piston Uppers are an excellent option to consider if you are an AR owner.

The great thing about the AR is you can own 1 lower receiver and many different upper receivers.

The standard AR15's DI (Direct Impingement) system works, but in order for it to work reliably (consistently) you need to keep your rifle/upper well maintained, and lubricated.

This is all due to the design of the DI's design, that basically takes the hot gas from each round that is fired, and this gas is ported directly from the barrel through a tube into the upper receiver via the Bolt Carrier Key and this gas burst after every round pushes the Bolt Carrier into action like a Gas Piston.

The DI system is a really neat design due to its simplicity, but it also has the short coming of introducing the left over contaminents from each round fired and this also gets blown into the Bolt Carrier and the Upper Receiver, and some of it is vented out, but some of it is not, and as your round count increases, so does the build up of heat and carbon in your upper receiver and bolt carrier.

That is why the standard AR should be kept clean and well lubricated (BCG, Upper), to ensure that it will function.

Gas Piston Systems work well to address the DI systems shortcomings, some much better than others.

If you are going to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo at the range and go home, there is no real reason for a Gas Piston Upper.

If you are going to shoot allot, and don't want to constantly worry about maintaining your AR, keeping it lubricated, and you want to have a cleaner and cooler running rifle, then a Gas Piston Upper is a really great option for you to consider, now or in the future.

marxdspot
10-04-2008, 9:26 PM
+1 for Addax in quality and customer service. Rest assured that your in good hands when dealing with Addax Tactical.

I, too, am waiting for a custom GPU from Addax.

Good luck.

Trendkill
10-05-2008, 9:48 PM
Those Addax uppers really do sound good.....and they look evil as hell.

Addax
10-05-2008, 9:58 PM
Those Addax uppers really do sound good.....and they look evil as hell.

Thank You.

We only build our uppers using only quality componenets.

Our Combat Series currently utilizes barrels from CMMG, bolt carriers from LMT or White Oak Armament and the rails are Daniel Defense.

Our upcoming Elite Series will utilize Sabre Defense Barrels as soon as our order comes in.

We also will be making a few SPR and SPMS uppers. SPR is a rifle length Special Purpose upper using a match target barrel, and SPMS is the Special Purpose Mid-Length Short (16" Barrel) using a match target barrel, and these barrels are from White Oak Armament and Lothar Walther.

If you have any questions about our Gas Piston Uppers, please let us know.

Thanks,
Chris