PDA

View Full Version : Best Ammo for Desert Eagle?

big13
10-03-2008, 11:38 PM
I would like to know what the best kind or best bang for the buck ammo? preferably for self-defense. I'm considering getting a .44 mag desert eagle then after a year upgrading to a .50 ae barrel. so ammo for each would be great. also for hunting. thank you in advance.

Sam
10-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Initially, a desert eagle sounds like a good defensive handgun but would a controlled pair be easy enough with the recoil? I haven't shot mine in a loooong time, so I honestly wouldn't know. I currently run Federal HST through my 1911's. I would recommend that if you can find it, but I believe HST only comes in "law enforcement" calibers. I've also been pleased with Federal Hydrashock.

rayra
10-04-2008, 12:13 PM
The OP should reconsider his choice.
There's a reason these pistols have a very limited fan base.
It's a massively heavy piece. You won't be carrying it anywhere after the first time.
And you won't be shooting it much, considering the price of the ammo, and that's even before the .50AE swap.

There's only two groups that buy these, an older crowd that's already bought more reasonable / useful / affordable / cheaper to feed handguns and just wants it for the hell of it and a juvi crowd that more often than not calls it a Deagle and played too much CounterStrike or watched too much anime or matrix repeats.

In direct answer to your question, buy any. It's a gas-operated rotary bolt open frame design. It'll feed damned near anything. But the wiki says stay away from lead bullets due to the gas bleed off in the barrel.

If you really want a 'self-defense' piece, you'd do far better to get a .357 revolver or a compact .40 or .45 pistol.

WINGEDSWORD
10-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree with the previous post. I own a Desert Eagle .44 and thouroughly enjoy it. It is not, however, my defensive handgun of coice. It is LARGE, HEAVY and the .44 Magnum round is over penetrative for most defensive situations. By all means, if you want a Desert Eagle,get one and enjoy it.
But for defensive purposes a .357 loaded with 125 grain jacketed hollowpoints or a .45 or .40 loaded with 185 JHP's are much better choices.
My own choice is a Semi-auto .45.

big13
10-04-2008, 2:45 PM
oh. honestly though the desert eagle doesn't feel heavy to me. must be all the weights at lift. I'm in the market to get one so I wanted to have some knowledge over the ammunition I used. I also have considered other guns but the only one that caught my eye was that gun. I'm not a juvenile nor ever played counter strike. it wasn't til I read up on it that I seen it was in the matrix and anime. any brand in particular I should avoid?

kakpataka
10-04-2008, 3:22 PM
.44 Magnum - Mark I, VII, XIX Recommended ammo:
Federal Premium Hydra-Shock P44HSA 240JHP
Gold Dot 23968 270 GDSP
PMC Starfire 44SFA 240 SFHP
PMC 44C 240JHP
PMC Target44D 240TCSP
Remington Core-Lokt RH44MGA 275JHP
Remington (http://zvis.com/dep/deparemwin.shtml#Remington240SJSP)RH44MG2 240SJHP
Remington RH44MG3 240JHP
Remington RH44MG5 180JHP
Winchester X44MHSP2 240JHP
Winchester X44MSTHP2 210JHP
UMC L44MG7 180JHP

TO be honest, Winchester ammo is the best. I get it from Walmart for 32.00 for a box of 50. Per the box , it is for hunting. I shot mine with Winchester ammo up at eldorado forest. It shot flawlessly even though it is not rate +p.
It did say Super on the case . I dont have the box and it is the firat time I shot this ammo but it is the one in white box.
See if it will work for you. If it does, no need to spend extra on +p loads etc. In any case DE is built tough!

virulosity
10-04-2008, 3:26 PM
Why not the .50AE for home defense? At least if you miss, his ears will still be bleeding ;)

Jpach
10-04-2008, 3:31 PM
I have a Desert Eagle and like most (or so I have heard atleast) it is picky with ammo. It needs a fairly hot round to operate reliably, so try out some +P ammo and if its rated for it, +P+

kakpataka
10-04-2008, 3:42 PM
I have a Desert Eagle and like most (or so I have heard atleast) it is picky with ammo. It needs a fairly hot round to operate reliably, so try out some +P ammo and if its rated for it, +P+

I ve heard that too & I ve seen a friend of mine with FTE.
I actually was not planing on buying the Winchester white box
but somehow end up buying it anyways. I shot about 25 or so
rounds . I was happy to see it worked just fine. I wont be buying
+p ammo anymore! Mine is a .44 MarkVII.

The above chart is as recommended by magnum research. I am not sure
if the ammo I got is on the list as I dont have the box anymore .

Ballistic043
10-04-2008, 3:52 PM
all desert eagles are different. you can use the chart as a general guide, but dont rely on it or you might be disappointed. not all DE's will function the same ammo reliably. the best you can do is sample a few different kinds of ammo to see which works best for yours. my .44 would shoot and cycle anything including dirty under powered reloads. but mostly i would use the american eagle 240 grain. my preban 50-cal desert eagle wasnt so liberal, it would only cycle the factory-loaded 350 grain rounds

just a few tips on owning a DE: always remember to clean the piston port thoroughly, because that is where the majority of the problems will occur; your 5 in 1 tool will help save you some time there (more time drinking, less time scraping) and keep your magazines clean-always. dont over lubricate the bolt. just because it has a system similar to the AR15, does not mean it appreciates having dirt attracted to it like flies on crap. go easy, and enjoy your pistol. the .44 DE has such little recoil you will be shooting ALOT of ammo through it.

Lepricon
10-04-2008, 4:52 PM
...the .44 DE has such little recoil you will be shooting ALOT of ammo through it.
Depends what kind of ammo. Recently I have received DE .44 as a gift from the members of my website (guns related for the Ex-USSR people who became the proud gun owners in US). They collected money, gave it to me and I bought chrome brushed version.
Oh man, it is a "show gun". Period :D

Yes, lets get back to the recoil and ammo. I've tried so far just 3 types of ammo:
1 - Federal Premium AE44B - nice low recoil ammo (I managed to make a 2 inch group at 25 yards :) ). Even my wife who is 115 lbs enjoined putting something like 30 rounds in one day through it. She says DE has a little bit more recoil with this ammo then her H&K USP .40
But, not very reliable. I mean every 3-5 rounds the slide does not close completely just couple of millimeters. You need to push the slide with your finger, not a big deal but still annoying.
2 - Remington UMC L44MG7 180JHP - OMG. The recoil is horrible. I have to wear a glove to shoot this ammo. The ground is shaking, the blast is like couple of yards long. I will not use it anymore. But - no problems with this ammunition other then a too strong recoil.
3 - Some "factory load" ammo from gun show. It says www.miwallcorp.com on the box. Don't buy it. The cartridges are actually longer by 0.3-0.6 milimeters then supposed to be and you cannot put more then 3 cartridges into the magazine it will just stuck. The recoil about the same as Federal AE44B, may be less.

Beelzy
10-04-2008, 5:08 PM
In my experience, the D/E will shoot anything decent. Avoid handloads at
the gunshows if at all possible.

My 357 would balk at my handloads with 296 powder when shooting heavy
bullete due to loose grains in the chamber making the cases hard to feed.
It did though shoot effectively some Lead bullets my buddy bought when I loaned him the gun for a Police class. NOT recommended!

My 44 mag is a sweetheart, it eats just about evertything I feed it, even my
mean reloads without a hiccup.

Many of the problems I have seen with folks abd their D/Es is the fact the
owners are lax about making sure ALL the carbon from the piston and bolt
area, as well as the piston hole in the barrel.

As a matter of fact, I picked up the 357 D/E cheap when the owner got tired
of its feeding and ejecting issues. All of which were the result in lousy cleaning. Imagine his suprise when he saw his/my gun working correctly after
I cleaned it.

Not my idea of a defense weapon to carry, but for the house it could work.
It will blow out some windows and peel some paint.............;)

Ballistic043
10-05-2008, 1:37 PM
what do we think.. its what your gun thinks that matters :)

cali-man
10-06-2008, 9:51 AM
I have had mine for 8 years and shoot it every time I go to the range. I feed it about 100 rounds every range trip. But I also my 45's at least 1000 rounds on the same trip. The secret is to reload the 44 mag yourself. The first 400 rounds I shot were factory but after that, I reloaded using the brass I saved up. Go get some 240-grain XTP, CCI 350 primers, and some H110 and you should be good to go. Lots of flash. I just upgraded to a 50AE barrel and purchased 300 rounds. I will shoot maybe 100 rounds and reload the brass. Midway already delivered some Speer projos. 50 AE uses same primer and powder as 44 mag. Lucky there.

Whatever you decided, it is a fun gun. Not meant for protection but you can hunt with it if you like. I keep telling myself I am going to find somewhere to hunt pig with it. Now that I have a 50AE barrel it is time to get of my arse and get to it. People hate on the Desert Eagle but there is a following for it. If you can afford to shoot it go ahead and buy it.

It is the same with cars and gas. If you can afford to drive it go ahead and buy it. I have (3) V8 cars at home and none of them give me more than 13-mpg average. But they are fun to drive. Work car though is a V6 Supercharged.

oghl888
10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I had a DE .44 Mag in the mid 90's. It was a beautiful chrome brushed with very nice grips to go along. I believe the ammo recommendations are in the manual, at least back then. I've tried all recommended ammo and it worked perfectly. However, as raised by many here, I did not feel that it was a good defense gun. It's too large for me to handle with one hand in the manner that facilitates a close quarter encounter.

I replaced it with a shot gun and a 9mm. Still have a few .44 magnum rounds left from owning that gun. I have not owned a .44 magnum since then.

cadurand
10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
The trick, which really isn't a trick, is to buy some cartidges and try them out. You'll find cartidges that work, then buy some more.

What out for cheap reloads since they tend to be low-power.

Loading your own is absolutely the best way to go if you plan to shoot much at all. Cheaper and you end up finding your own favorite loads.

My experience shooting across three Desert Eagles is they shoot 50AE better than .44MAG. I don't know why that is for sure. My guess is the hotter the load the better. The main problems I've seen are keeping the pistol clean and limp wristing.

Give up on using a DE for home defense. Too big, too heavy.. too finicky.

kakpataka
10-06-2008, 4:33 PM
Actually, A guy over at a gun store said that Blazer would be fine.
But I felt that It is better to go with Winchester so that is what I got.
Let me know how Blazer feeds thru your DE. I do think before you order
it in bulk that you try shooting with it first just in case unless someone here
has already shot Blazer in their DE without any issues.

TZL
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
lol....and so will yours, unless you are quick and thoughtful enough to put on ear protection....but personally in a SHTF HD situation, I'd just grab, load, cock....and totally forget the hearing protection...

Why not the .50AE for home defense? At least if you miss, his ears will still be bleeding ;)