PDA

View Full Version : shooting wolf*

gsxr600booya
10-03-2008, 9:19 PM
2 quick questions i read somewhere not to shoot wolf through a non chrome lined barrel. im pretty sure thats bs but just wanted to make sure its all good, also where in LA can i shoot wolf most ranges apear to be bi metal bias. hehe thanks in advance.

ohsmily
10-03-2008, 9:21 PM
If the chamber of your AR upper is not chrome lined, you may have problems with reliability with the Wolf, especially if you switch between brass and steel cased. The chrome lining of the barrel is not relevant. However, if your barrel isn't chrome lined, your chamber probably isn't either.

railroader
10-03-2008, 9:41 PM
I have a keltec su16 that has had issues switching back and forth between wolf and brass case ammo. The barrel is non chrome lined. Now if I clean the chamber after shooting wolf I don't seem to have problems. Mark

gsxr600booya
10-03-2008, 9:44 PM
deffinatly I was actually looking at the zinc coated stuff so I think it will be alright now the question is where can I shoot bi metal in the la area

bigthaiboy
10-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Wolf ammo is a little dirtier than US factory ammo, so having a chromed lined barrel makes cleaning easier. Other than that no problems. Bi-metal bullets are made of a mild steel with a copper wash to prevent tarnishing and rust. If you are worried a steel jacketed bullet is going to wear out a steel barrel quicker than copper, then it's not going to happen. Mild steel vs hardened steel is a non-issue.

You won't find any outdoor ranges in So Cal which will let you shoot bi-metal Wolf ammo. Burro Canyon will relax this rule and let you shoot bi-metal directly after the rains after fire season ends, but you cannot always guarentee it. Depends on the RO.

Try to source the copper jacket Yugo surplus 7.62x39 (if that's what you're shooting, as that's range safe. Since you're in LA mail order is probably not an option, but try Ammo Bros in Cerritos. I'm pretty sure I've seen them sell the Yugo.

aplinker
10-04-2008, 12:14 AM
2 quick questions i read somewhere not to shoot wolf through a non chrome lined barrel. im pretty sure thats bs but just wanted to make sure its all good, also where in LA can i shoot wolf most ranges apear to be bi metal bias. hehe thanks in advance.

Are we talking AR or AK? AK it would be fine. With an AR you'll have fouling issues that will lead to very poor reliability.

Dragon
10-04-2008, 1:18 AM
I so fare have not had any problem with wolf in my M4 .I shoot 300-500 in one outing ,then I clean it.Its dirty but not that bad ,as long as you clean after each range trip .CLEAN and OIL your rifle !