PDA

View Full Version : How to put this on!!!

truthseeker
10-03-2008, 7:16 AM
I just ordered this brake for my 6.8SPC Upper

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7684&title=R3E2C%20MUZZLE%20BRAKE&s=19282#19282

Is there anything special I need to do to put it on?

I know I need a crush washer (any recommendations on the best one for this setup), but what is the best way to verify that it is installed correctly (i.e. not canted)?

Finally it looks like this does not have a place on it to place a wrench to tighten it. So what is the best way to tighten it to crush the washer?

Thanks!

Paratus et Vigilans
10-03-2008, 7:23 AM
Looks to me like you can use a wrench in the large open area nearest the barrel, since the sides on that cut-out look flat.

truthseeker
10-03-2008, 7:37 AM
Thanks, I didnt think about that. I was hoping someone that had put one on would chime in to tell me how they did it.

phsieh10
10-03-2008, 8:05 AM
I put one of those onto my LWRC6.8 All I did was use a big crescent wrench. Seems to be holding ok. I got it with a blackened finish from Wes at MSTN. Get ready for a big blast from the brake. The first time I tried it was at an indoor range. I got a headache from the blast. Nothing like the 2port that I have on my spr.

Army
10-03-2008, 9:51 AM
Hand tighten as hard as possible, put wrench on flats and turn at LEAST once until you align it the way you want it. You have 1 1/2 useable turns on a crush washer.

Digital_Hate
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
not to high jack your thread but where are you guys finding 10rd mags for the 6.8? im have a hard time finding some

truthseeker
10-03-2008, 1:02 PM
not to high jack your thread but where are you guys finding 10rd mags for the 6.8? im have a hard time finding some

I have not purchased any yet. I will try to find some and post where they are.

aplinker
10-03-2008, 2:20 PM

riflegear has PRI's.

Beelzy
10-03-2008, 2:27 PM
Hint: Go slowly as you get near your index mark, you don't want to have to
un-tighten the brake if you go past the mark.

ar15barrels
10-03-2008, 9:27 PM
Looks to me like you can use a wrench in the large open area nearest the barrel, since the sides on that cut-out look flat.

They are flat on each side, but not parallel.
The bottom is considerably wider than the top.
The instructions tell you to use a wrench across the flats though, not something through the opening as that would bend it.

ar15barrels
10-03-2008, 9:30 PM
Hand tighten as hard as possible, put wrench on flats and turn at LEAST once until you align it the way you want it. You have 1 1/2 useable turns on a crush washer.

Not on one that's been opened up to 9/16". ;)

When you open up a crush washer, they don't crush the same anymore.
The only good way to install these is by machining the brake or the barrel.
You can also use shims, but they don't look nearly as nice.

The instructions tell you to have a gunsmith install it.