PDA

View Full Version : Range Gun... 20" Government or Lightweight Profile?

insin
10-02-2008, 10:32 PM
For a 20" KISS rifle for range use, would you go with a Government or Lightweight Profile barrel?

aplinker
10-03-2008, 12:12 AM
18" medcon or 20" gov't

hybridatsun350
10-03-2008, 8:48 AM
I'd go with a 20" gov't. It's a good mix of practicality and functionality. The lightweight profiles are nice because they are freakin' light, but they heat up quickly and aren't necessarily going to be as accurate as the gov't. There is also going to be a wider range of manufacturers making reasonably priced uppers with gov't profile barrels.

It all comes down to what your definition is of a "range" rifle. I really like HBAR's personally, but a lot of people whine about them being too heavy. ;)

ivorykid
10-03-2008, 3:53 PM
Like most things here, it depends on your personal preference. I like the stability of an HBAR, but it gets heavy after an extended offhand session. I really like the light weight of a lightweight, but it does heat up quickly. Lightweight barrels can be quite accurate, but if you like the pull the trigger a lot, the heat will change its POI. If you are set on 20", then a government profile is probably a good compromise of weight and thermal mass. Again, it comes down to what YOU expect out of the rifle.

Personally, I like the 18" medcon.

Of course, the BEST answer to this dilemma is to just get one of each! Then you will have application-specific tools, depending on your mood for the day.