PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint is best?

StoneTower
10-02-2008, 9:59 PM
I am getting an A1 stock to put on my Noveske N6 lower so that I can fit a Limbsaver to it. I went to the range last weekend and after 140 rounds, my shoulder looks like a waffle because of the plastic pattern on the ArmaLite A2 stock. The A1 is about 5/8 of an inch shorter and should work out well.

The Colt A1 stocks are made (I believe) of fiberglass and I would like to paint it with a nice flat black color that would match the parkerizing on the receiver. What preparation work and what paint would be best for this.

Thank you,

David

wildcard
10-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I am getting an A1 stock to put on my Noveske N6 lower so that I can fit a Limbsaver to it. I went to the range last weekend and after 140 rounds, my shoulder looks like a waffle because of the plastic pattern on the ArmaLite A2 stock. The A1 is about 5/8 of an inch shorter and should work out well.

The Colt A1 stocks are made (I believe) of fiberglass and I would like to paint it with a nice flat black color that would match the parkerizing on the receiver. What preparation work and what paint would be best for this.

Thank you,

David

Degrease with rubbing alcohol and then use black Krylon from their camouflage line of paints.

10-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Duracoat.

FMJBT
10-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Duracoat. You can even paint your receiver with it too to get a perfect match.

sorensen440
10-02-2008, 11:19 PM
anything lead based will taste great... oh you meant something else
Im a big duracoat fan

StoneTower
10-03-2008, 1:06 AM
What color Duracoat would best match the Noveske N6 parkerizing? I do not want to spray the reveiver.

Is there anyone in the Sacramento area who sells it?

If not where is the best place (read price) to order it? :)

Thanks,

David

aplinker
10-03-2008, 1:09 AM
Uppers and lowers are aluminum, thus they're not parkerized - they're anodized.

If you want cheap, then you shouldn't pick DuraCoat.

M16 stocks are dark. You probably won't need to paint.

StoneTower
10-03-2008, 1:23 AM
Uppers and lowers are aluminum, thus they're not parkerized - they're anodized.

If you want cheap, then you shouldn't pick DuraCoat.

M16 stocks are dark. You probably won't need to paint.

Ok, I was not thinking about the aluminum. The anodizing looks the same color as the barrel. The stock is an original Colt A1 that is black in color with a number painted on the side. I would like to have it the same grey as the upper and lower.

Are there gun stores that stock the DuraCoat? I have airbrushes and spray guns.

"If you want cheap, then you shouldn't pick DuraCoat." How much is not cheap?

Thanks,

David

bigthaiboy
10-03-2008, 2:10 AM
Anyone had any experience painting a synthetic stock or rifle action with Alumahyde II?

aplinker
10-03-2008, 2:36 AM
Ok, I was not thinking about the aluminum. The anodizing looks the same color as the barrel. The stock is an original Colt A1 that is black in color with a number painted on the side. I would like to have it the same grey as the upper and lower.

Are there gun stores that stock the DuraCoat? I have airbrushes and spray guns.

"If you want cheap, then you shouldn't pick DuraCoat." How much is not cheap?

Thanks,

David

It's not ridiculously expensive. The upside is I can pretty much guarantee they have a color that matches - but I don't know which it would be.

You'll want to contact Lauer directly
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

bombadillo
10-03-2008, 8:57 AM
cheap and flat black=BBQ paint. Rust and chem resistant and works well as long as you don't clear coat it.

motorhead
10-03-2008, 9:53 AM
engine paint. heat and solvent resistant, cheap and available.

thebloodsonthewall
10-03-2008, 11:27 AM
What color Duracoat would best match the Noveske N6 parkerizing? I do not want to spray the reveiver.

Thanks,

David

I haven't been able to find it anywhere in Sacramento. You can get it on ebay and amazon but it really isn't any cheaper.

SigShooter
10-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks,

David

Best to order it directly from Lauer (http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoatcolors.cfm?colortype=stock&Category=220), I've never seen it carried in stores. In fact you could probably contact them and they can tell you what color will match (or what mix of colors will).

As for cost, Duracoat generally runs about $17/4 oz. and $30/8 oz. so it is relatively expensive compared to other sprays (BBQ, Engine, Alumahyde etc.) but well worth it. I have used it and find that it is extremely durable and easy to apply. The key is preparation. You must have a clean, grease free, slightly rough surface prior to applying.

If you have experience with airbrushing and are meticulous about cleaning them, then using your own will be fine. If not, I would suggest a cheap Badger set (can be purchased in the starter kit from LCW) as Duracoat can destroy an expensive airbrush if left to dry.

wildcard
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Anyone had any experience painting a synthetic stock or rifle action with Alumahyde II?

Yes to both. Holds up great. Stayed tuned for a pic tonight.

Sydwaiz
10-03-2008, 2:05 PM
Find a cheap CavArms A1 stock and paint it with Krylon Fusion. Don't waste a good original A1 stock.

aplinker
10-03-2008, 2:14 PM
Let me add... It's just a stock in a single color.

DuraCoat is the way to go if you want the very best finish possible.

If you're painting something simple (like a stock or handguard), plastic and removable... and don't mind touch-ups... just use Krylon.

StoneTower
10-03-2008, 4:24 PM
Find a cheap CavArms A1 stock and paint it with Krylon Fusion. Don't waste a good original A1 stock.

You mean the original Colt A1 stock I paid $10 for and the guy had a full box of them? I purchased it because it has a quality feel and I am going to put it on a $3000 rifle. I am going to put several hours in making an adaptor plate so I can fit it with a LimbSaver so I want something of quality. I currently have a crappy ArmaLite A2 stock that looks like it should cost about 12 cents. I want something better.

Sydwaiz
10-03-2008, 7:49 PM
$10? Spray away! :D But for a $3000 rifle, why not get a PRS or something?

drawn
10-03-2008, 9:58 PM
DuraCoat Socom or Colt Gray.