PDA

View Full Version : Po Boy Special

tenbrook
10-02-2008, 6:46 PM
I am thinking of getting one of these setups to mount behind my Aimpoint M3. Anyone have experience with one of these? How do they compare with an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier? Opinions please?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=170

edittman1
10-02-2008, 6:47 PM
I was thinking of getting one as well, as I've heard good things.

My concern is if this setup will match the height of my Comp M4 with stock mount. Otherwise then I have to buy a new mount for that too.. :(

aplinker
10-02-2008, 7:24 PM
It will work with the CompM4 stock mount. What little overlaps the edge is pretty much invisible, since it's magnified.

The mount is awesome, the optic is just OK. It has very short eye relief - but it's still serviceable.

You'll enjoy it.

tenbrook
10-03-2008, 6:33 AM
It will work with the CompM4 stock mount. What little overlaps the edge is pretty much invisible, since it's magnified.

The mount is awesome, the optic is just OK. It has very short eye relief - but it's still serviceable.

You'll enjoy it.

My plan was to use this mount for my M3. Would it line up perfect if I did?

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=37

SigShooter
10-03-2008, 9:53 AM

You'll enjoy it.

I've used one behind an Eotech and I could not agree more. The LaRue mount is excellent, easy to swing in/out of line and very beefy. The optics were designed for anti-tank rocket launchers and not minute-of-man accuracy, but they work, and well at that.

Unless you need your rifle for "work" (LEO, "Contracting", .MIL etc.) or you can afford the AimPoint magnifier, I would not hesitate at the Hensoldt/LaRue combo for a second.

aplinker
10-03-2008, 1:11 PM
I've used one behind an Eotech and I could not agree more. The LaRue mount is excellent, easy to swing in/out of line and very beefy. The optics were designed for anti-tank rocket launchers and not minute-of-man accuracy, but they work, and well at that.

Unless you need your rifle for "work" (LEO, "Contracting", .MIL etc.) or you can afford the AimPoint magnifier, I would not hesitate at the Hensoldt/LaRue combo for a second.

A change in the magnifier won't affect accuracy - it will just affect clarity, field of view, eye relief, etc.

The reticle in the Aimpoint or EOTech determines POI, not the magnifier.

tankerman
10-03-2008, 1:19 PM
Can you get them to lineup with an Eotech?

What's the FOV?

aplinker
10-03-2008, 1:39 PM
Can you get them to lineup with an Eotech?

What's the FOV?

Yes... the 553/556/etc will line up fine with that mount. For a 511/2 or 551/2 you would need a riser (YHM/LaRue/etc)

FOV... :shrug: never bothered measuring it. I've switched to an Aimpoint 3X to get the longer relief.

tenbrook
10-03-2008, 2:01 PM
uclaplinker.......Can you define eye relief for me, I am not sure what this means?:confused:

Thanks

Tenbrook

Juicymeat
10-03-2008, 2:20 PM
In lamen's terms its how far your eye can be away from the lens of the scope to view what you are looking at correctly. Longer eye relief means you can have your head further back from the lens and still see the "big picture".

tenbrook
10-03-2008, 4:36 PM
In lamen's terms its how far your eye can be away from the lens of the scope to view what you are looking at correctly. Longer eye relief means you can have your head further back from the lens and still see the "big picture".

Ah.....Thanks!

E. Fudd
10-03-2008, 5:58 PM
Yes... the 553/556/etc will line up fine with that mount. For a 511/2 or 551/2 you would need a riser (YHM/LaRue/etc)

FOV... :shrug: never bothered measuring it. I've switched to an Aimpoint 3X to get the longer relief.

If you are mounting a 551/2 direct to your flattop, you can order a low pivot mount from Larue (same price, not listed on their website) and that will be the correct height. Call Larue and explain your desired setup. They are really good about explaining the options.

aplinker
10-03-2008, 7:47 PM
Yes, eye relief is the distance from your eye to the eyepiece of the scope.

More distance usually allows more flexibility in this distance (don't have to get it "exactly right") and it also helps prevent "scope eye" (when recoil smacks the scope into your head).

Scope eye is no big deal with .223, but it can be with higher powered optics. With .223 on an AR eye relief is nice because you don't have to be right on top of the optic and it gives you some wiggle room.

If you are mounting a 551/2 direct to your flattop, you can order a low pivot mount from Larue (same price, not listed on their website) and that will be the correct height. Call Larue and explain your desired setup. They are really good about explaining the options.

I would suggest the $25 YHM riser is the way to go.

This will give you bottom 1/3 co-witness and will give you more flexibility to use the magnifier with these types of mounts, aimpoints, etc. in the future.