PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks to moose season!

gose
10-02-2008, 5:57 PM
In two weeks I'll be out there with my trusty .308, waiting for a moose to stop by and say hi. Apparently we're only permitted to bag three between the 12 of us this year, so odds could have been better, but still... it's free, so guess I can't complain ;)

Anyone else going moose hunting this season?

G-Man WC
10-02-2008, 8:05 PM
Ahhh, Where are you hunting moose in California?
I was unaware of a resident population. If your hunting out of state please post pictures if you bag any. -g

Hunter
10-02-2008, 9:47 PM
In two weeks I'll be out there with my trusty .308, waiting for a moose to stop by and say hi. Apparently we're only permitted to bag three between the 12 of us this year, so odds could have been better, but still... it's free, so guess I can't complain ;)

Anyone else going moose hunting this season?

I thought you guys called them "elk" over there across the pond?

gose
10-18-2008, 3:49 PM
I thought you guys called them "elk" over there across the pond?

"Unfortunately" the word elk is very close to the Swedish and German words for moose, so a lot of people in Europe (in error) call the European moose for elk.

Had a nice 10 point bull ~200-300y away from me for ~35 mins, but never got a clean shot on it, so of course another guy took it :/

Oh well, had a blast and we saw another two good sized bulls, two cows with two calves each but no one could get a clean shot on anything.
We also saw a family with 9 boars and a single pretty big boar + a bunch of deer, but since we were only doing moose, the bull was all we got.

Tomorrow is deer and boar hunting at another place (plenty of deer, less boar), so I'm hoping to at least bag a deer.

I've got plenty of pics of the moose, but unfortunately I forgot my camera cable back home, so pics will have to wait until I get back..