PDA

View Full Version : Building an AR10/15

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-01-2008, 9:52 PM
So im seriously considering building an AR10/15. partially cuz i worry about another AWB. Now im far from a rich kid and will build this part by part when money becomes available.

Im debating between an ar15 and an ar10 because i already have a Rem 700 in .308 win and am getting ready to start reloading my own ammo and it just means one less round i would have to buy. And i have always wanted a "battle" rifle in .308. hk91/G3 would be freaking sweet but parts seem to be a little more scarce and expensive.

If i build it i would want to build either ar10/15 in a m16a4 configuration. Im 6'6" so carbines are just a little to small for me.

Lower reciever recomendations. Stripped or complete.
ArmaLite-224

Upper reciever. open to most anything. looking 16"-20" I know i want a flat top. i want to keep this one iron sights maybe a red dot later on, but always ahve the choice to throw on a scope and reach out.
Armalite for 738.

Armalite cant be the only people who make AR10 parts but it seems like every where i look they are on the top of the list. for good reason im sure. And im kinda leaving out the butt stock, grip and thoose things cuz im more worried about getting the expensive things first.

Now with the pistol grip is it an automatic rule to have the bullet push botton release for the mag?

Thanks for any help i can get

technique
10-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Armalite lowers are not an option in CA. Noveske Aero or aircraft armament are your options for an armalite base. .308 builds will run you more then a .223.

Its up to you and what you can spend. Parts and ammo wise. My first oll was a hesse .308 build.

Good luck.

X-NewYawker
10-02-2008, 6:55 AM
Buy a Noveske lower and wait til you have more money or just get the cheapest Armalite complete upper.

Solidsnake87
10-02-2008, 8:13 AM
Or you could buy an aero lower, just as good as novekse, and save $100. If you care about the whole "name-brand" thing for lowers then Noveske would be the way to go.

aplinker
10-02-2008, 3:03 PM
What do you want to do with your rifle? How often/far do you shoot? How?

As far as .308 vs .223... If you can reload .308, buy dies for .223. The cost difference in components is still significant.

A 308 AR will cost you almost double an AR-15 of comparable quality.

The AR10 platform is a lot more flexible and capable than the HK91 at the same price point. The only thing that's great about the HK91 is cheap G3 mags.

grammaton76
10-02-2008, 3:34 PM
How weird that you should mention this now!

Last night, I got around to writing a 308 AR compatibility chart.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/RefArFamily

Armalite's the main player, and you want to stick with it because it's been around longer so you can find less expensive parts out there. DPMS (the other major system) is still relatively new to the game.

10-02-2008, 3:36 PM
I would buy an AR 10 and an AR 15 OLL and then build them up when money allows.

grammaton76
10-02-2008, 3:36 PM
The AR10 platform is a lot more flexible and capable than the HK91 at the same price point. The only thing that's great about the HK91 is cheap G3 mags.

Well, the HK91 does also score advantages in the compactness area (collapsible stock) and form factor. The AR-10 is a lot wider than the slender HK91, which might make it less comfy for SHTF concealment or talking a trail walk. I think it might be lighter too, come to think of it.

I still need to get an Aeroprecision...

X-NewYawker
10-02-2008, 3:37 PM
I believe that the Noveske receivers are actually made in the same facility as the "real" Armalites. That's why they fit/work so well

X-NewYawker
10-02-2008, 3:38 PM
Well, the HK91 does also score advantages in the compactness area (collapsible stock) and form factor. The AR-10 is a lot wider than the slender HK91, which might make it less comfy for SHTF concealment or talking a trail walk. I think it might be lighter too, come to think of it.

I still need to get an Aeroprecision...

.308 rifle of ANY type and concealment during SHTF do NOT go together.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-02-2008, 3:58 PM
What do you want to do with your rifle? How often/far do you shoot? How?

As far as .308 vs .223... If you can reload .308, buy dies for .223. The cost difference in components is still significant.

A 308 AR will cost you almost double an AR-15 of comparable quality.

more often i get out about 300 yds shooting At orosco ridge in Ramona. But when i go out to ocotillo we have a target at 1000 Yds. And im actually kind of starting to look into building an hk91. but could i do it legally.

The dies would be very easy. just need a new plate i have a lee turrent press witht he 4 holes on top. so it would just be popping that out and throwing on the one with the 223 dies.

Or you could buy an aero lower, just as good as novekse, and save $100. If you care about the whole "name-brand" thing for lowers then Noveske would be the way to go.

I care more about getting a quality part than buying what ever name brand is most popular att he moment

grammaton76
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM

Goes about as well as an M4gery, really. Either one's going to announce your location and blow any semblance of cover you had. A PTR-91 collapsed down is actually a bit smaller and trimmer than an M4gery.

a1fabweld
10-04-2008, 12:06 AM

My PTR-91 16" carbine with a factory HK collapsible stock gets pretty short. even shorter than my 16" AR with the stock all the way in. I personally like the HK platform better than the AR. Longer sight radius when comparing apples to apples, reliability & accuracy out of the box. They're not modular like an AR though. You can't "swiss army" them out as easily as an AR. I'd stick with your original preference & get a HK clone.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-04-2008, 9:28 PM
size is not concern to me, weight can be.

Im looking around trying to find parts to build an Hk91 clone.
Im not having to much of a problem finding parts.
But what about magzine removal. are there bullet buttons out there for me to buy or would i need one of those break open deals. which is highly what i want to avoid.

FMJBT
10-04-2008, 10:49 PM
You can get a Raddlock kit for the HK rifles, it's operation is just like the Bullet Button's:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-237-raddlock-kit-for-hk-mp5g3-91-93-series.aspx

The biggest issue with making an accurate long range HK clone is the availability of decent barrels. The fluted chamber required for the roller locking system to work is not something that many manufacturers have experience with or the required tooling to make them. There's a guy in Texas named Murray Urbach that makes custom barrels with EDM chamber flutes for the HK's. Last I checked, his barrels were going for around $900.00 and had over a year waiting list..... PTR sells a stainless 20" barrel that looks promising:
http://www.ptr91.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=91

Several years ago they made a limited production run of 24" barrels, occasionally they still pop up on gunbroker and the for sale sections of the various HK forums.

Experimentalist
10-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I built an AR-308 pattern rifle on a POF lower earlier this year.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm52/TroyD_album/STA60020.jpg

While my configuration may not be what you're looking for, you might want to consider the POF lower. A huge advantage of the POF lower is compatiability with AR15 lower parts (with exceptions like the pivot pin and mag release parts). This is useful, as it allows you to harness the vast array of lower parts available for the AR15. For example, I have a Geissle match trigger in my rifle.

The upper is from Fulton Armory, and includes a 22" Krieger Criterion match barrel.

viras
10-04-2008, 10:59 PM
How weird that you should mention this now!

Last night, I got around to writing a 308 AR compatibility chart.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/RefArFamily

Armalite's the main player, and you want to stick with it because it's been around longer so you can find less expensive parts out there. DPMS (the other major system) is still relatively new to the game.

Thanks for the wiki!

FYI - The Aero Percision model is called the "SPR-2". I just got one. :D

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-05-2008, 9:16 PM
Is there a website that elss aero precision lowers. looking for one but cant find anything.

viras
10-05-2008, 9:18 PM
Is there a website that elss aero precision lowers. looking for one but cant find anything.

Right here bro (http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=603)

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-05-2008, 9:27 PM
Right here bro (http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=603)

thanks i actually had that in my other tab when i looked back.

Now is only the name Armalite illegal or is Eagle Arms, from what ive learned is made by Armalite, legal to buy.

And is it only the Armalite lowers taht are banned. So if i was to get an Eagle lower or Aero lower. Any Armalite upper would fit. Any other makers that would fit those lowers?

technique
10-05-2008, 9:30 PM
thanks i actually had that in my other tab when i looked back.

Now is only the name Armalite illegal or is Eagle Arms, from what ive learned is made by Armalite, legal to buy.

And is it only the Armalite lowers taht are banned.

both are no no's.:D

technique
10-05-2008, 9:32 PM
here are some pics of mine.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/bolts005.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/bolts008.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/bolts006.jpg

Its an Aircraft Armaments lower with Armalite parts to complete it. I like the Armalite based builds myself.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-06-2008, 6:59 AM
20" upper? Chrome lined or chrome/moly?
When you say armalite parts are you talking LPK, upper and bolt carrier etc.

And will any Ar15 lower parts kit fit or do i need a ar10 specific.

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=603
+
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=BRKE10A4B&Category=8be021dd-3f84-4aca-bfa1-afcb5ddcc9ba
or even one with out all the rails. only want a rail on top and maybe one on the bottom, but that seems like a spectacular deal.
is so far so good.
than all i would need is a lower parts kit and butt stock assembly?

grammaton76
10-10-2008, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the wiki!

FYI - The Aero Percision model is called the "SPR-2". I just got one. :D

Aha, thanks for the info - you've now been creditted.

Spyduh
10-14-2008, 2:34 PM
I'm tempted to build a AR 10/308 now that the election is not looking to favorable for gun owners.

There's a lot of confussion and lack of information with AR10 vs DPMS style 308 receivers. I've read so much and still don't know which is the best platform to purchase.

Do you guys recommend a Novekse or Aero? Or do you recommend the Fulton or POF or Aircraft Armaments?

Budget wise, it looks like a better idea to go with AR10 type as parts are cheaper and mags are easy to obtain. Complete Armalite uppers are fairly affordable as well.

But I'm thinking about having Randall from ar15barrel.com build me a complete upper for my new Ar10/308 build. Price would be more but I would be getting a quality custom made upper.

So.... please give me some recommendations if you were building one for yourself.

Thanks in advance :D

grammaton76
10-17-2008, 3:41 PM
I'm tempted to build a AR 10/308 now that the election is not looking to favorable for gun owners.

There's a lot of confussion and lack of information with AR10 vs DPMS style 308 receivers. I've read so much and still don't know which is the best platform to purchase.

Do you guys recommend a Novekse or Aero? Or do you recommend the Fulton or POF or Aircraft Armaments?

Budget wise, it looks like a better idea to go with AR10 type as parts are cheaper and mags are easy to obtain. Complete Armalite uppers are fairly affordable as well.

But I'm thinking about having Randall from ar15barrel.com build me a complete upper for my new Ar10/308 build. Price would be more but I would be getting a quality custom made upper.

So.... please give me some recommendations if you were building one for yourself.

System... AR-10 hands down. DPMS's system is neat and all, but it hasn't been around long enough to have the parts availability down the road if Obama manages to do something that puts US gun manufacturers practically out of business.

Getting Randall to do an AR-10 upper is a perfectly good idea, but you shouldn't let that sway you either way on the choice of DPMS vs AR-10 platform.

I'd just get the AR-10 platform, talk to Randall about an upper, and be happy with the best of all worlds.

Steve O
10-17-2008, 4:52 PM
Do you guys think it possible that a new AW ban would allow you to reg a lower, but not complete it?

grammaton76
10-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Everything's possible. However, it's more likely they would say "it it wasn't completed prior to date X, you can't complete it" - but not "it has to be completed and stay completed".

What I'm getting at here, is a concept Calgunners were talking about in the event they listed our AR's at the tail end of '05 (or was it '06?): everybody drives to Nevada, and takes turns borrowing uppers and slapping them onto their receivers, taking pictures, having said pictures notarized by someone who's been dragged to the event for that purpose, and life is good. You then have iron-clad proof that, at a point in time prior to the ban's enactment, your receiver was in fact a complete rifle at one point or another.

But should such gymnastics be needed, we'd hear about it here first. Pretty unlikely it would happen, though.