PDA

View Full Version : Another "upper versus upper" question

Bushido-sig
10-01-2008, 8:10 PM
I'm looking to get a new 16" middy for my new lower. Having a hard time trying to decide between a BCM upper or the Noveske Recce upper. In terms of final configuration, the BCM will end up costing me about the same as the Noveske so cost is not the issue.

I would love to hear everybody's opinion of the pro's and con's of each upper.

Thanks!

aplinker
10-01-2008, 10:26 PM
How do you figure the BCM is the same price as a Noveske? Are you planning to lo-pro the BCM?

Flip a coin and go with the one you prefer.

pseudo-polyganol rifling and double chrome lining (needed? :shrug:) in the Noveske. BCM is essentially a Colt quality mid-length.

Noveske has more "ooh ahh," but hardcore guys respect BCM.

You're not going to find compelling reasons here to pick one over the other. It comes down to what you want.

bobfried
10-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm a brand whore so I would go with a Noveske.

But that's sort of like choosing the exact same item over another because it's a bit more shiny. The BCM's are very highly though of but won't win you nay Gucci points, whereas the Noveske (somewhat highly though of) will get you blinging like Lil Wayne.

Bushido-sig
10-01-2008, 11:46 PM
"How do you figure the BCM is the same price as a Noveske? Are you planning to lo-pro the BCM?" Not sure what you mean by "lo-pro" but if I do get the BCM I plan to slap on a DD rail, back up sights, plus the BCG and charging handle. Which pretty much brings it in the same ball park as the Noveske. This will be a "no skimping" build.

"You're not going to find compelling reasons here to pick one over the other. It comes down to what you want." Yeah, that's what I figured but thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Jpach
10-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Im sorry, but I MUST know! What is the correct pronunciation of Noveske? Oh and go with the Noveske.

Bushido-sig
10-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm not a linguist but here's my shot at it, "No-Ves-Kee."

TurboFall
10-02-2008, 5:09 AM
I've always heard it as "No-Vess-Key"

Bushido-sig
10-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Like I said, "I'm not a linguist.."

Turbofall's example is what I was trying to convey in writing. Good stuff.

aplinker
10-02-2008, 4:07 PM
"How do you figure the BCM is the same price as a Noveske? Are you planning to lo-pro the BCM?" Not sure what you mean by "lo-pro" but if I do get the BCM I plan to slap on a DD rail, back up sights, plus the BCG and charging handle. Which pretty much brings it in the same ball park as the Noveske. This will be a "no skimping" build.

"You're not going to find compelling reasons here to pick one over the other. It comes down to what you want." Yeah, that's what I figured but thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks guys for the replies.

BCM is $440 (upper) + $135 (BCG) + $18 (CH) + $340 (DD Lite) + $140 (sights) = $1073

An equivalent Noveske would be $1250. $1300 if you go lo-pro (low profile means the gas block is under the rail and you use a front sight on the rail)

apbrian112
10-02-2008, 4:21 PM
Im sorry, but I MUST know! What is the correct pronunciation of Noveske? Oh and go with the Noveske.

i dunno... i've heard both but go with "noh-vesk" dunno... sounds fancier :p

aplinker
10-02-2008, 4:33 PM
i dunno... i've heard both but go with "noh-vesk" dunno... sounds fancier :p

Maybe fancier, but wrong... unless they don't know how to pronounce their own name.

Jpach
10-03-2008, 8:45 PM
Haha thanks guys, i was thinking k is it No-vess-key or No-vesk. I guess Ill never TRULY know unless I call them up and wait for their introduction, then hang up.

apbrian112
10-03-2008, 8:56 PM
Maybe fancier, but wrong... unless they don't know how to pronounce their own name.

ummm... whatevers... porsche or porsche-ah, potato potahtoe, etc etc...

joe_sun
10-03-2008, 9:02 PM
Hmm Noveske or BCM

Win win in that situation. I went with BCM for 2 reasons.

#1 Pat Rogers uses and recommends BCM (along with Colt, Noveske and Larue)

#2 BCM was less money

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/calgunpics/AR1.jpg

ar15barrels
10-03-2008, 9:02 PM

I was at a shoot once talking to a guy when he realizes who I am and says to me "I'm John Noveske, nice to meet you" and he pronounced his name like "No-Ves-Kee".