PDA

View Full Version : Magpul UBR stock on my M4 Carbine- arghhhh !!

Electric Factory
10-01-2008, 6:18 PM
I got a Magpul UBR stock for my M4-type OLL carbine and the installation directions are imponderable- at least for a dolt like me.
Has anyone installed this stock on their rifle ?
For the love of Mike please reply.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/getthumb.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/MPUBR.jpg

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 6:24 PM
I've done it.
For a while I thought that it was missing the owners manual or something (step 4, where it refers to an operators manual which doesn't exist), cause it took me a few minutes to figure out how to take the stock off the tube.

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 6:27 PM
What are you stuck on?

BlackReef
10-01-2008, 6:51 PM
sweet! whered you get the UBR from?!?! I've been waiting for mine for awhile now. I heard the UBR is difficult to install. Hope you get it fixed

Electric Factory
10-01-2008, 7:00 PM
You gotta love Youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gD5b_ZdVC0

I searched high and low to find it at a reasonable price- that's the difficulty, 'cause there's plenty of dudes at eBay looking to gouge on the UBR [ 300.00+].
I'll try to find the URL again and post it.

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 7:05 PM
It's not hard once you figure it out.
The problem is the stupid instructions they send.
Here's the run-down:
Remove the stock by pressing the preset button and the stock extension tab to put it in it's furthest position.
Then press the remove button and the stock extension tab to remove stock from tube.
Unscrew the outer tube from the inner buffer tube if they are attached, otherwise just screw in the buffer tube just like you would with an A2 stock.
Don't forget to put in the safety detent and spring, then slide the outer tube on and tighten down the large screw till it's flush against the receiver.
Put the stock back on the tube by pressing the extension tab and the remove button and you're done.

JohnnyRooks
10-01-2008, 7:10 PM
i love my UBR.. you won't regret it..

trinydex
10-01-2008, 7:13 PM
how to vid definitely wins

BlackReef
10-01-2008, 7:28 PM
i love my UBR.. you won't regret it..

wow! Where is everybody getting these UBR's from!?!?

JohnnyRooks
10-01-2008, 7:40 PM
wow! Where is everybody getting these UBR's from!?!?

you can get it from your local gunstore and egay.. lol

Addax
10-01-2008, 7:50 PM
A production batch was released by Magpul about 2-3 months back.

There are some guys who have a couple and are selling them off at higher than normal retail prices due to the high demand.

I know of just a handful of dealers who just received a couple of FDE UBR's, but no body has black in stock yet (as far as I know).

From what I understand directly from Magpul, we are supposed to start seeing back orders clear up soon, the next month hopefully.

BlackReef
10-01-2008, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the update Chris -

BTW, that new AddaxGPU.com page of yours looks killer =)

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 8:16 PM
I got my black UBR from riflegear a few months ago for $245.

Electric Factory
10-01-2008, 8:32 PM
I paid 265.00 for a FDE UBR recently.

JohnnyRooks
10-01-2008, 9:07 PM
I paid 265.00 for a FDE UBR recently.

same here.. $265.00

very solid stock..:TFH:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa182/modestoairsoft/de002.jpg

Electric Factory
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Is there any reason you can't simply use the buffer tube already on the rifle, as opposed to the supplied buffer tube, thereby attaching the UBR stock directly to your existing and already mounted] buffer tube ?

Addax
10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Is there any reason you can't simply use the buffer tube already on the rifle, as opposed to the one supplied ?

The Buffer tube that comes with the UBR stock is basically a carbine buffer tube minus the notches for the Carbine stock.

It is the same buffer tube that RRA sells for their Tactical Entry Short AR stock (in case any of you UBR owners want to get a replacement tube).

You need to use this tube along with the UBR parts for the UBR to be installed and used.

Electric Factory
10-01-2008, 11:57 PM
The UBR arrives with the stock mostly pre-assembled with the exception of the proprietary buffer tube. Once the Magpul buffer tube is installed to the lower receiver, can the UBR stock assembly be directly fitted onto it as it arrived ? Or must it [ the stock] be further disassembled in order to install ?

ChrisXD45T
10-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Disassemble further.
Remove the stock by pressing the preset button while pulling the extension tab, when it's at the furthest position press the release button while pulling the extension tab to remove the stock from the outer tube.

Electric Factory
10-02-2008, 6:39 AM
Disassemble further.
Remove the stock by pressing the preset button while pulling the extension tab, when it's at the furthest position press the release button while pulling the extension tab to remove the stock from the outer tube.

Is this because the buffer tube won't fit into the outer tube otherwise ? I've been trying to fit the buffer tube into the main tube and it will not go into it.

Update:

I was able to 'force' the buffer tube into the main tube, but it is an absurdly tight fit, as if there's a screw or other stop inside the main tube impeding it going in as easily as the video guys did.

Electric Factory
10-02-2008, 7:51 AM
If anyone residing in So Cal is willing to help me with this installation at Angeles Range I will offer in trade a free shooting day at Angeles, my treat.
Any takers ?

X-NewYawker
10-02-2008, 7:54 AM
Have you called MP?

Electric Factory
10-02-2008, 8:14 AM
Have you called MP?

Nah, i don't necessarily want any over-the-phone tech help, just someone who has installed theirs to lend a helping hand.

Free range day at Angeles Range [ especially if it's today or tomorrow], get some !!:D

stphnman20
10-02-2008, 8:19 AM
Nah, i don't necessarily want any over-the-phone tech help, just someone who has installed theirs to lend a helping hand.

Free range day at Angeles Range [ especially if it's today or tomorrow], get some !!:D
Does this come with free ammo also?? :D

Electric Factory
10-02-2008, 8:27 AM
Does this come with free ammo also?? :D

Doh !

Tell you what, if you come today between 9 am-1:00pm [ my working hours ], I'll throw in some shooting to boot, let's make a deal, get it while it's hot, meet me up there, you KNOW you want to shoot today, git some !! :D

stphnman20
10-02-2008, 8:31 AM
Doh !

Tell you what, if you come today between 9 am-1:00pm [ my working hours ], I'll throw in some shooting to boot, let's make a deal, get it while it's hot, meet me up there, you KNOW you want to shoot today, git some !! :D
Working today, but off tomorrow. ;)

Electric Factory
10-02-2008, 2:18 PM
Mission accomplished ! I spent a few minutes really looking at the parts and, once I rubbed my remaining two brain cells together sorted out the installation. Actually it isn't difficult per se, just a little 'fidgity' in getting the parts to work together. Every spring that could shoot out of my lower and onto the deck to be hopelessly lost, did. :43:
Luckily I found everything, managed to put it together and... voila, i'm shooting it tomorrow am !
Thanks to everybody who weighed in and helped, it is indeed a great stock.

CHIGGA73
10-02-2008, 2:43 PM
sweet stock man!
glad to hear you got it working. i'd love to check it out sometime at the range. how heavy is it?

Electric Factory
10-02-2008, 3:30 PM
sweet stock man!
glad to hear you got it working. i'd love to check it out sometime at the range. how heavy is it?

Not as heavy as the Magpul sniper stock [ can't remember the model name] which I was also considering until I became aware of this one. Then I saw and read reviews of the UBR- stellar. And THEN I got a chance to handle one at Angeles on someone's rifle- shazzam . I was absolutely sold.

I'll be shooting my rifle w/ the UBR tomorrow for the first time but it feels fantastic; perfect cheek weld and rad looking for sure and for certain. And with all of the features ?

Shazzam.

stphnman20
10-02-2008, 3:41 PM
Not as heavy as the Magpul sniper stock [ can't remember the model name] which I was also considering until I became aware of this one. Then I saw and read reviews of the UBR- stellar. And THEN I got a chance to handle one at Angeles on someone's rifle- shazzam . I was absolutely sold.

I'll be shooting my rifle w/ the UBR tomorrow for the first time but it feels fantastic; perfect cheek weld and rad looking for sure and for certain. And with all of the features ?

Shazzam.
Looks like I'm not coming down then. =(

Jicko
10-02-2008, 4:18 PM
UBR for a M4-like, lightweight, carbine is not too appropriate, IMHO. It is just too heavy and make the rifle rear heavy. The LMT SOPMOD is much better for a M4.

On the other hand, UBR is a great stock for SPR or longer builds.

aplinker
10-02-2008, 4:23 PM
sweet stock man!

At 1.5# it's about double, say, a CTR.

Too heavy for me to love it, but would be nice on, say, an SPR...

Electric Factory
10-02-2008, 5:19 PM
UBR for a M4-like, lightweight, carbine is not too appropriate, IMHO. It is just too heavy and make the rifle rear heavy. The LMT SOPMOD is much better for a M4.

I dunno, it's working great on my M4 at this very moment- balanced and snug, very quick feeling. The cheek weld is exemplary.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/IMG_0738.jpg