PDA

View Full Version : gas piston question

rolly
10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
It looks like the industry is going back to gas piston (bushmaster etc...)

WHY ?

I heard that:
Gas piston is more reliable but is not very acurate.

Anything new with the technology?

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Not necessarily going back to it, just offering it along side current production to catch the wave of piston AR hype that's come along.

Some work very well (emphasis on some, I can only come up with 3 and Bushmaster ain't one), but don't offer any improvements in function or reliability that may justify their price tag.

bohoki
10-01-2008, 5:14 PM
it should keep the action cleaner but i think it puts more stress on certain parts because it is a kind of retrofit instead of a complete redesign

X-NewYawker
10-01-2008, 5:41 PM
Use a clean target and prove it!

:)

Seriously, my Addax GPU shoots cleaner and softer than my DI Ars. It is a wonder. Scope just arrived so groups next week.

badicedog
10-01-2008, 6:41 PM
i own two gas piston ARs, a Robinson Armament XCR, the other a HK416. I love both. Both are reliable, accurate and low maintenance. The HK is deadly accurate just with the iron sights(2-4 inch groups at 200 yrds), the XCR 2-4 inch groups at 100 rds with eotech). For an AR, how much more accurate do you want? Get a sub moa bolt action if thats what you are looking for. ARs were not designed to be sub moa rifles.

Addax
10-01-2008, 7:53 PM
i own two gas piston ARs, a Robinson Armament XCR, the other a HK416. I love both. Both are reliable, accurate and low maintenance. The HK is deadly accurate just with the iron sights(2-4 inch groups at 200 yrds), the XCR 2-4 inch groups at 100 rds with eotech). For an AR, how much more accurate do you want? Get a sub moa bolt action if thats what you are looking for. ARs were not designed to be sub moa rifles.

The XCR is not quite a true AR Gas Piston AR, it is their own development of a full gas piston rifle that uses some AR parts, but the lower and upper receivers are not true AR receivers.

Addax
10-01-2008, 7:54 PM
Use a clean target and prove it!

:)

Seriously, my Addax GPU shoots cleaner and softer than my DI Ars. It is a wonder. Scope just arrived so groups next week.

Fine, next week, I will shoot some clean paper just for you. :p

badicedog
10-01-2008, 8:08 PM
[QUOTE=Addax;1578778]The XCR is not quite a true AR Gas Piston AR, it is their own development of a full gas piston rifle that uses some AR parts, but the lower and upper receivers are not true AR receivers.[/QUO

Its the best of both worlds! Accuracy of an AR, reliability of the AK

X-NewYawker
10-01-2008, 8:19 PM
An ARK!

The Lost ARK!

badicedog
10-01-2008, 8:28 PM
An ARK!

The Lost ARK!

I like it! LMAO...

Addax
10-01-2008, 8:31 PM
[quote=Addax;1578778]The XCR is not quite a true AR Gas Piston AR, it is their own development of a full gas piston rifle that uses some AR parts, but the lower and upper receivers are not true AR receivers.[/QUO

Its the best of both worlds! Accuracy of an AR, reliability of the AK

So is the Addax GPU ;)

The XCR is a great rifle, and I own one.

I love the fact that you can change barrels pretty easily on it for caliber conversion.

Addax
10-01-2008, 8:31 PM
An ARK!

The Lost ARK!

LOL

akjunkie
10-01-2008, 8:42 PM
An ARK!

The Lost ARK!

LOL, isnt that called the Daewoo K1??:p

badicedog
10-01-2008, 8:51 PM
I like the addax GPU and have fired it at angeles. Much lighter than the POF. However, I dont like the fact that you have to mill the upper receiver to install the gas piston and its not compatible with some quad rails. If you developed something that you can still use your own BCG and is a drop in system... Thats what Im waiting for. I think adam arms has a system already but Im going to wait. I dont like to be the R&D guy on my dime...

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 8:59 PM
LOL, isnt that called the Daewoo K1??:p
The K1 was a DI system. Maybe you're thinking of the K2?

rolly
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Iam getting a lot of information here...Thank you guys !!!!

Addax
10-03-2008, 4:01 PM
Iam getting a lot of information here...Thank you guys !!!!

Calguns is an outstanding forum for good information.

If you have any more Gas Piston related questions, please feel free to contact us anytime via email or you can call us at the shop.

Thanks,
Chris

ar15barrels
10-03-2008, 9:20 PM
ARs were not designed to be sub moa rifles.

While that is correct, why handicap yourself?
I have built LOTS of sub MOA AR's.
Also dozens of sub half moa AR's.
A few are even doing a quarter of an moa with a couple good BR shooters.

The hardest part of making an AR accurate is finding a capable shooter.

ElevenBravO
10-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Is my Bushmaster C15 a GPU or DI?

Addax
10-03-2008, 11:35 PM
We have several test shoots scheduled next week involving accuracy testing with a WOA and a Lothar Walther Barrel on a couple of Addax GPU's.

With the Lothar Walther Barrel, I have been able to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, but this was with a 3x scope and 55 grain ammo.

I now have a 2.5-16x50 Bushnell Elite 6500 and match ammo.

We will see what results we will get with the higher power scope and match ammo.:D

Addax
10-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Is my Bushmaster C15 a GPU or DI?

I believe all C15's are DI, but I am not sure. I am not a big Bushmaster fan, so I don't really keep up on their stuff..

ElevenBravO
10-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Oh ok. Imma look into it now. Thanks...