PDA

View Full Version : Hoop netting for "robsters"

xYourLocalAR15x
10-01-2008, 3:00 AM
Went hoop netting for rock lobsters tonight off the redondo beach pier and all I caught was a fellow Robster from cal guns!

got skunked again. probably head out again tomorrow night at hermosa

nice meeting you today, Rob. Small world!

aplinker
10-01-2008, 4:05 AM
That begs the question...

How did Calguns come up?

Cobrarlc
10-01-2008, 7:05 AM
Well I made it in to work this morning, two hours of sleep and all. It was great to meet you Local. It is amazing how small the world really isn't it?
Plinker - We just started talking about our lobster seasons, Local mentioned Diego off the cliffs, and I then mentioned Calguns. It is truly a brotherhood here on the boards.

Bobula
10-01-2008, 8:03 AM
That begs the question...

How did Calguns come up?

UOC glocks underwater?

glockman19
10-01-2008, 8:25 AM
I was at Malibu Pier Saturday Night. Caught many crab no lobster. Going to Paradise Cove sometime this week.

Both places should be great home for lobster. Pt Dume is a Rocky point with a sandy bay and a pier that is in shallow water.

I'll post pic's if they're are any.

Cobrarlc
10-01-2008, 8:26 AM
It looks like the yaks and the other boats are bagging the bugs. Good Luck tonight at Hermosa.

xYourLocalAR15x
10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
It looks like the yaks and the other boats are bagging the bugs. Good Luck tonight at Hermosa.

didnt catch one thing! well a octopus. The guy right next to me caught a legal... I was so ticked!

cal3gunner
10-06-2008, 8:12 AM
does anyone here scuba dive for lobsters. You can swim around and grab them by hand. Its a lot harder than it sounds but i've seen divers limit out in one dive. I've never limited out in one dive, but i have limited out on Calico Bass in one dive with a speargun and thats fun!
Of course you have to go to the Channel islands or Catalina/Clemente. The islands are loaded and the visibility under the water actually lets you see your game.

xYourLocalAR15x
10-06-2008, 11:10 AM
does anyone here scuba dive for lobsters. You can swim around and grab them by hand. Its a lot harder than it sounds but i've seen divers limit out in one dive. I've never limited out in one dive, but i have limited out on Calico Bass in one dive with a speargun and thats fun!
Of course you have to go to the Channel islands or Catalina/Clemente. The islands are loaded and the visibility under the water actually lets you see your game.

thinking about getting my dive cert. it's getting too cold to do it right now though. =(

cal3gunner
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
its not cold. cold is in the spring at San Miguel Island when the water is 50 degrees. With the right suit, the water is fine. Get your cert, diving is great

Cobrarlc
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Local- My bud went back to Redondo this weekend and ended up with a few legal crabs, no bugs at all. I need to get out on the boat again and hit the rocks. Let me know when you are going out again, maybe we will see you out there again.

xYourLocalAR15x
10-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Cal3gunner, thats true... I hear the water does start getting colder into the mid 50's soon.

Rob, does your buddy have an email addy i can contact him through? I looked up the dive program he mentioned and it seems that i need to be a member of the boy scouts.

yellowfin
10-07-2008, 5:50 PM
didnt catch one thing! well a octopus. The guy right next to me caught a legal... I was so ticked!Octopi are so yummy!

cal3gunner
10-07-2008, 6:32 PM
Even the mid 50s aren't that bad but then again I wear a pinacle arctic suit and a 5 mil hooded vest. both of those have the wool lining. Having a great wet suit really helps. The October before last, I dived every day but two for lobsters doing anywhere from 1 to 5 dives a day.
You just have to drink that hot coffee, tea, or chocolate after each dive and have a motivation to grab bugs and shoot fish. Oh and getting paid for it doesn't hurt either

Cobrarlc
10-12-2008, 7:55 AM
Last night was sure a cold and windy, but it didn't matter much. We finally pulled up some legals off of the breakwater last night. First pull, came up with a nice legal 2 pounder. For the rest of the night we pulled up 6 total bugs, 3 of which were legals. I'll post pix once my friend forwards them. Bugs on the grill for lunch, a couple of beers, wife enjoying it too, priceless.

xYourLocalAR15x
03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
this thread is 10022343243 days old, but i ended up getting my padi cert not too long after. Didnt even realize my friend was a dive instructor.

Ninety
03-04-2013, 11:32 PM
LOL

Abesnake
03-05-2013, 12:37 AM
Hey anybody! A little 411 here, please. I use to use a gardening glove and snorkel down to the reef off Miami Beach to get lobster, but I never have done any of it here. I live near Paradise Cove and Malibu. Can you give me a clue about pier fishing for crabs and lobster here in Cali? I heard you can fish off the piers without a license. Is that true or is that only for scaled fishing? How late can you fish at night, here? Anything else you can help me with to save time I'd appreciate it. Thanks...

theduece
03-05-2013, 9:10 AM
Pier fishing and hoop netting can be done here at night. You need a lobster report card if you are going after lobstahs. If you do not get one and pull up a robstah toss it back. Rock crab no report card or license needed if you are on a public pier. Each pier has it's own hours.

edgerly779
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Isn't paradise cove in Point Dume marine area and no fishing or take of marine species allowed? Only exception is spearfishing for bonito and white seabass. The area extends from east edge of paradise cove parking lot west for 3 miles around point dume and 3 miles seaward.