PDA

View Full Version : What is the BEST QUALITY LPK for a "Your life depends on it" AR build?

ENTHUSIAST
09-30-2008, 9:19 PM
I was wondering what is the MOST RELIABLE Lower Parts Kit for an AR build?

I want it to work EVERTIME for as long as possible.

I am not looking for Timney, Geisele or Chip McCormick "fancy" triggers... I just want a Mil-Spec LPK that would be your first choice to go in harms way.

???
RRA
Armalite
CMMG
BUSHMASTER
DELTON
EDIT: DPMS :rolleyes:
EDIT: STAG :rolleyes:
MODEL ONE SALES :rolleyes:
???

THANKS Guys,
-enthusiast

jandmtv
09-30-2008, 9:39 PM
Armalite, or CMMG.

I wouldnt touch the rest of those with a 10 foot pole. (BTW you forgot Stag, which falls under the 10 foot pole category)

EDIT: RRA is another good LPK.

windsheer
09-30-2008, 9:39 PM
Rock River standard trigger . I like the match trigger but the standard is said to be stronger.

Gator Monroe
09-30-2008, 9:50 PM
My total budget for my AR build is $500.00 !:eek:

ENTHUSIAST
09-30-2008, 9:53 PM

???

What does that and the price of TEA IN CHINA?!? Have to do with what the best LPK is? :shrug:

windsheer
09-30-2008, 10:12 PM
500 is not enough
buy a Saiga

Pryde
09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
CMMG is no good.
I used one of their LPKs and their springs are all weak.

IMO the Stags are the most consistent and best quality.

gcvt
09-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm perfectly happy with my RRA.

sorensen440
09-30-2008, 10:47 PM

I think you need to increase your budget by at least a couple hundred

FMJBT
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I wonder how many of those parts kits listed are in fact made by the same manufacturer. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the individual components are all made by one or two different places.

I can't tell you which is best of those listed, but I can say from experience that DPMS kits commonly ship with missing parts. Mine was missing the disconnector, trigger spring, and rear takedown pin. Please edit your post to reflect a :rolleyes: smiley by the DPMS name :)

My next kit will probably be Armalite, CMMG, or RRA as I have heard the least amount of complaints against them.

sigsauer887
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Stags actually pretty damn good, I don't really understand the bashing

ChrisXD45T
09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK
This is, hands down, the best LPK. I've never had any problems.
It's mostly LMT; parts are hand picked.

10-01-2008, 12:01 AM
I have been entirely pleased with my RRA LPKs.

aplinker
10-01-2008, 2:24 AM
I've had the most success with Armalite and RRA. I'd pick them in that order. The relatively low cost of the

I've only used 1 Stag LPK and my bias is because it was missing one of the detent springs (selector). The pins were better than ... my least favorites....

DPMS (which appear to also be CMMG) are not great. Bad pins, weak springs, and oft missing parts.

Those kits are pretty compelling

G&R is a respectable Co.

Nefarious
10-01-2008, 4:57 AM

I dont either... on my setups that have a Stag lpk ... I have had 0 issues

45R
10-01-2008, 5:40 AM
CMT/STAG for me. Its been pretty consistent.

cleanguy46
10-01-2008, 5:49 AM
I have a Stag LPK in my first build and works just fine with 0 issues. Next build will have RRA LPK with 2 stage match trigger.

joe_sun
10-01-2008, 5:53 AM

+1 but if you want the "BEST" and don't want to pay the 300.00 or whatever for Colt you could get a FULL LMT parts kit.

stphnman20
10-01-2008, 6:14 AM
Same here.. I have Stag LPK.. Works good.

nikonuser
10-01-2008, 6:52 AM
I cannot compare since I own all STAG lower receivers and LPK and I am 100% problem free so far. I also own a STAG 2 HT upper and also problem free so far. No jams, FTF and FTE very accurate with good quality ammo. Eats all brands of ammo including Wolf.

scubamark13
10-01-2008, 7:32 AM
I have both RRA and Stag. I have had zero problems with both. I would have no problem trusting my life to either.

hybridatsun350
10-01-2008, 7:38 AM
LPK's are not really an issue as far as reliability goes. For the most part, the cheaper LPK's just feel cheap, but get the job done just fine. I would focus on getting a quality upper for "your life depends on it" reliability.

Same here. My Stag LPK works and feels pretty darn good for what it is (a basis LPK). I have had no troubles with it whatsoever. However, I do prefer my RRA NM LPK in my other AR!

Jicko
10-01-2008, 7:51 AM
Best is probably LMT. But they are expensive, if you can find them.

Then Armalite and RRA....

-hanko
10-01-2008, 7:57 AM
I've had the most success with Armalite and RRA. I'd pick them in that order. The relatively low cost of the

I've only used 1 Stag LPK and my bias is because it was missing one of the detent springs (selector). The pins were better than ... my least favorites....

DPMS (which appear to also be CMMG) are not great. Bad pins, weak springs, and oft missing parts.
I'd rate Armalite/Colt/Lewis Machine as equivalent...no knowledge of whom the actual company is that cuts/forges/casts the pieces.

For those who have talked about what's worked for them...OP was not asking which lpk's have worked well for you, he wanted the best possible for a life/death scenario.

OP, hth.

-hanko

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I'd rate Armalite/Colt/Lewis Machine as equivalent...no knowledge of whom the actual company is that cuts/forges/casts the pieces.LMT makes all most all of their LPK components, you can tell which ones because they stamp their name on them. Armalite also makes most of their parts themselves.

ChrisXD45T
10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
And I'll add that I have had problems with the two stag parts kits I've used.
With the first one, the bolt release, pivot pin, and safety selector would not fit. I know it was not the lower because the kit I subsequently bought from G&R dropped right in place. The second one, after not having learned from my mistake, had a horribly machine/unfinished hammer and trigger. I had to fix this with a Dremel (I had nothing to lose and it seems to work well now) because G&R was sold out at the time, but now it looks like they're back in stock so I might stock up now so as never to deal with substandard parts again.

ironcross
10-01-2008, 11:41 AM

I know, I guess old habbits die hard :D

I love Stag Arms, Their LPK even come with a extra takedown pin detent and spring. If anything is wrong with Stag stuff they will fix it.

oddball
10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I agree with previous posts about G&R Tactical. Grant handpicks the individual parts (including LMT) to make the best possible LPK for the money. Plus he has different configurations at different pricing, for example if you only need a kit without a trigger. I just bought a full kit and should be getting it any day now :).

PIRATE14
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Well.....we use LPKs by the 10,000s per year....

STAG/RRA/ARMALITE/BUSHMASTER/LMT.......are good stuff.....
You can have minor issues w/ any of them at any given time but the percent is below 1% for any given LPK.....

All the others we use only if we have to......

mattmcg
10-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I've used them all and tend to prefer the RRA over others. Their hex grip screw, wide flat on the internal part of the safety selector (better for Gieselle triggers), and coiled roll pins just ensure a better build from rifle to rifle.

rorschach
10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I have used Stag, RRA-NM and DPMS. I didnt like the DPMS triggers.

RRA NM is pretty darn good IMHO.

Gator Monroe
10-01-2008, 9:05 PM
I think you need to increase your budget by at least a couple hundred

My $ 500.00 AR build budget is minus BB & mags (Lower $150.00 including FFL fee Tax & Dros, COMPLETE A1 upper Minus bolt carrier,charging handle $250.00 shipped (So the question is can I get a Carrier,Bolt & Charging handle for $54.00 after I get a 46.00 LPK)