PDA

View Full Version : Do I need High rise scope mounts for an AR without sights?

joemama
09-30-2008, 9:22 PM
well I picked what scope I want but I'm having trouble finding what size scope mounts I need. There are no open sights on my rifle and I'm going with a Leupold 4x12x40mm scope. I've also heard that I should get heavy duty ring mounts so are the Burris Xtreme Tactical 1" Rings overkill? Should I go with leupold mounts, and if so which ones and what size?

rksimple
09-30-2008, 9:24 PM
For good cheek position, you'll want the centerline of the scope to be about 1.5" off the rail. The burris xtreme rings are pretty good for the money.

joemama
09-30-2008, 9:25 PM
what size should I get? will medium do or should I go with the high ones?

rksimple
09-30-2008, 9:30 PM
Probably extra high.

joemama
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
here is a pic of my AR. So if I order the extra high Burris Xtreme sight mounts it wont put my scope to high up? Will I need some kind of A2 cheek riser?

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/joemamaslayer/gun1.jpg

jandmtv
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
instead of rings, I would get a 1 peice scope mount if I were you.

Both Armalite and Promag make a 1 peice thats under $100

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/one-piece-scope-mount-inch-p-1253.html

http://www.promagindustries.com/aCCESSORIES.ASP (about half way down the page)

windsheer
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I have the removable armalight mounts and its only 1 inch . I dont shoot it 'cause it irritating . Do get up to 1.4 or 1.5 inch. I shot a scoped ar with the leupold mark 4 high steel rings , PERFECT .
The badger high rise seem to be the trickest but $200 plus for the rings then about 40 more for 1 inc spacers . Lost of cash .
Nobody in CA seems to stock this stuff either and that makes it hard to check it out. Best to go to a range and see what shows up and ask to have a go with someones set up.
GOOD LUCK
I would be intresed in what you end up with and all the details.

joemama
09-30-2008, 11:03 PM
do any of you think I will have to get a cheek riser or should I be ok without it? I googled them but only came up with 2 for the a2 buttstock and both seem pretty cheap.

windsheer
09-30-2008, 11:10 PM
The magpul stock that looks like a precision adjustible rifle butstock it the best. I have not shot my scoped ar enough. The stock could be part of the problem . When I look through it now I have my cheek a little sideways and have to strain to look through it very uncomfortable, the other ar I have shot just had the a2 buttstock & with the high rings , it made all the difference.

FMJBT
09-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Everyone's face has different bone structure which affects how well your eye will line up with the scope. A good range for most shooters without using a cheek rest is between 30-35mm (approx 1.25" to 1.5") height from base to centerline of scope.

Omega13device
10-01-2008, 12:07 AM
I have ARMS #22 medium rings on my Leupold 3-9x36 and it's fine. I don't recall ever seeing a cheek rest on any AR. Perhaps they're out there but I'm not seeing them at the range, on arfcom or on other forums.

My scope is designed for short eye relief but if yours needs more then I'd look at something like the LaRue SPR mount, which mounts to the receiver but gets the scope out a bit farther forward.

joemama
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
so If I go with the Burris Xtreme 1" mounts and I need more eye relief, couldn't I just move the mounts forward? or would that affect the accuracy if the forward mount is on the free float rail and not the upper receiver? I've been looking for an armalite mount but they seem to be almost completely sold out everywhere lol.

Omega13device
10-01-2008, 12:25 AM
I've always been told that you should keep all of the mount on the receiver in case the rail isn't perfectly aligned. Or the rail could come loose...say goodbye to your zero. With a high-quality rail mounted expertly it theoretically shouldn't be a problem but my view is, why take the chance on someone's theory when there's no downside to keeping it all on the receiver.

aplinker
10-01-2008, 3:07 AM
NEVER bridge a rail and receiver (even free float) as the rail will flex. This can damage the scope. A scout rail or the LaRue mount are designed to give extra relief.

If you're this new to shooting you will be fine with extra high rings (the "normal" height), as you haven't developed a preference for how you like your cheek weld.

There are risers and stock covers you can use to raise your eyeline, if need be, or the PRS.

I've used the RRA scope mount and it's serviceable. It also gives you a small amount of extra relief with the forward canting rings.
http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=385

It's also cheap. If you want to upgrade, LaRue is the way to go.

tenpercentfirearms
10-01-2008, 5:28 AM
I would not recommend any of the standard 1 Piece AR15 mounts that these guys are advocating. What you will quickly discover is that the AR15 flattop was set up too far back. So when you mount one of these one piecers to the firearm and their rings are preset with no way to move them, your adjustment turrets get in the way and your scope can not go forward enough for proper eye relief.

I have found a great solution.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=314

This is the rail I have on my coyote gun, a 20" Bushmaster V-Match upper with an A2 buttstocked lower. What I like about it is it securely attaches to the upper receiver, but move the rail forward where you can get maximum use for eye relief. It should also be used with low rings so you can then buy whatever high quality low rings you want and it is the perfect heigth.

The AR15 requires extra high rings and that is why you don't see anyone using a cheek piece on their AR15. With the scout rail, you don't need extra high rings and any low rings you want to use will work. I have just been using the Millet low rings, but there is nothing wrong with upgrading.

With this new set up I went 5 for 5 on my last coyote calling hunt at the beginning of the year and that was making running shots at 40 yards and standing still shots at 200 yards with a bad rest. If I miss, I know it was me, and not my rifle.

aplinker
10-01-2008, 6:15 AM
It all depends on the scope you're using and its eye relief. Some will work fine, others will not. I've used the RRA with a Nikon and it gets about 1/2" in front of the CH, which is plenty of relief for that scope.

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/ar15_onepiece_mounts.htm

That has every option out there for 1-piece mounts, and then some.

By the time you buy a scout rail ($80) and a pair of rings ($60) you're damned close to the best one-piece extended eye relief mount made - LaRue.

bikertrash63
10-02-2008, 1:42 PM
This is going to sound like a dumb question from a newbie but here goes, a while back I sold my Colt A2 sporter(hated the sights, got good money for it), anyway Monday morning I bought a new Rock River Arms LAR15 Predator rifle with an A4 flat top upper. Now the dumb part, I bought a one piece scope mount for it and ordered a Leupold 6.5X20X40 EFR AO scope for it, my question is on the scope mount, all of the scopes I have are mounted with the mounting screw knobs on the right side, all of the pictures I have seen of AR flat tops have the knobs on the left side, is there a reason for this or is it a personal prference deal? Empty cases hitting them or something?

PS:I appologize if this sounds stupid.

EOD3
10-02-2008, 2:34 PM
Something I've not seen mentioned here; do NOT mount the scope with either ring butted up to the reticule housing thingee (senior moment) Getting too close can damage the scope tube so try to keep a quarter inch or so clearance.

Another thing you need to consider is clearance for the charging handle...

aplinker
10-02-2008, 4:16 PM
Something I've not seen mentioned here; do NOT mount the scope with either ring butted up to the reticule housing thingee (senior moment) Getting too close can damage the scope tube so try to keep a quarter inch or so clearance.

Another thing you need to consider is clearance for the charging handle...

Badger extended charging handle is a must on a scoped rifle.

Yes, good point to bring up... You shouldn't mount the ring against the knob/reticle housing, or where the tube curves to it.

10-02-2008, 4:42 PM
I have a LaRue extended one piece mount. It provides great eye relief ans is strudy as a rock!

M. Sage
10-02-2008, 5:22 PM
This is going to sound like a dumb question from a newbie but here goes, a while back I sold my Colt A2 sporter(hated the sights, got good money for it), anyway Monday morning I bought a new Rock River Arms LAR15 Predator rifle with an A4 flat top upper. Now the dumb part, I bought a one piece scope mount for it and ordered a Leupold 6.5X20X40 EFR AO scope for it, my question is on the scope mount, all of the scopes I have are mounted with the mounting screw knobs on the right side, all of the pictures I have seen of AR flat tops have the knobs on the left side, is there a reason for this or is it a personal prference deal? Empty cases hitting them or something?

PS:I appologize if this sounds stupid.

AFAIK, it's personal preference. Righty/lefty shooter also seems to make a difference...

Not a dumb question, and one I'd like to know a bit more about.

joemama
10-02-2008, 6:42 PM
o great, I didnt even think about an extended charging handle... Well I ordered the armalite 1 piece so I hope this does the trick. This is my first AR so I'm trying to make educated guesses for everything.