PDA

View Full Version : .22lr build mod, paranoid or cya? You make the call!

Silverfish
09-30-2008, 8:50 PM
Well I done did it, I'm almost done with my sorta-dedicated .22 build.

Spikes .22lr marked lower
CMMG lightweight 1/12 twist car 16" upper with fake can
Ciener .22 conversion (waiting for CMMG conversion)
and some BDM mags to boot.

The lower is dedicated 100% (see attached pic). The upper however is not so I wanted to play it safe and add a permanent plug to the buffer tube to keep the lower extra dedicated when attached to a non-dedicated upper. I actually stole the idea from another Calgunner poster, Thx.

I hole sawed a piece of black 1" melamine and sanded it down with a slight taper, added some epoxy to seal, and presto...

Just wanted to share my paranoia with me having a mag release button for my .22 plinking action. :TFH: The upper will only fire 5.56 when attached to a seperate Cal-legal lower with a bb. I should of gone completely dedicated but oh well, maybe next time.

Probably went to far but all Im out is a buffer tube if I ever change my mind...

09-30-2008, 8:55 PM
I would say that you took unnecessary steps. If you run into a police officer that doesn't know the law to begin with, even with your modifications you will probably still get your firearm confiscated.

DedEye
09-30-2008, 9:07 PM
Probably not a terrible idea given that it's a Ceiner kit, but then again most likely unnecessary.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-30-2008, 9:20 PM
I would say that you took unnecessary steps. If you run into a police officer that doesn't know the law to begin with, even with your modifications you will probably still get your firearm confiscated.

Yeah, but when Iggy tries to demonstrate how easy it is to turn the rifle into a centerfire by placing his centerfire upper on the rimfire lower, he will get a surprise when he tries to pull the charging handle back. :) Remember Iggy tried to build a machinegun by trying to fit his issue M4 fire control parts into a Calguns member's stripped lower. :eek:

We all know that the ability to accept a centerfire upper has no effect on the legality of a "rimfire" lower. But this extra step might make it easier and cheaper to convice a DA or judge if the unthinkable ever happened.

nic
09-30-2008, 9:24 PM
If I were building a dedicated .22LR AR, I'd probably do something along similar lines. Nothing wrong with CYA IMO.