PDA

View Full Version : Barrel says 5.56 nato but locks up charging..

WilliamAnderson
09-30-2008, 8:38 PM
Yea, so I am really confused right now. I just read the 5.56 NATO and .223 rem article that is on the forums and I have both kinds of ammo. My uncle gave me around 1,000 rounds when I built my AR. most is 50 grain american eagle hollow points and about 300 rounds of NATO stamped soft points. I read the article and tried a mag of 5.56 ammo and pulled the charging handle back and let it "chamber the round" I was surprised to find out that it appeared to be stuck so I attempted the foward assist and it just made it worse. I ended up not being able to lock the bold back or at the very least move it at all without the help of a dead blow hammer. It's okay, the finish is fine! Then I chambered the .223 ammo and worked like a charm. I looked at the NATO marked round and noticed there were a lot of little scratches and I'm pretty positive there is something fishy about my 5.56 marked barrel. Can you guys give me some insight to what may be going on? Oh and one more thing I tried two different mags and the problem persisted and then I tried locking the bolt back and sliding the 5.56 in by hand and I just got another jam. Thanks!!!

09-30-2008, 8:40 PM
Who made the upper?

WilliamAnderson
09-30-2008, 8:43 PM
It's all Double Star! I've been really happy with it until now... :-(

Pryde
09-30-2008, 8:46 PM
A lot of makers mark their barrels with 5.56 NATO to give it a Gucci-like "milspec" look, but their chambers are actually .223

WilliamAnderson
09-30-2008, 8:49 PM
That's stupid. That should be illegal! If someone got hurt using 5.56 ammo in a .223 barrel that my company made I'd never forgive myself. I however don't own anything but my car and a handfull of rifles.

vlsgmc
09-30-2008, 8:53 PM
"NATO stamped soft points?" Are the primers crimped? Are they reloads? Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen NATO rounds that were soft point. Could be they are reloads that were not fully resized.

WilliamAnderson
09-30-2008, 8:57 PM
They do happen to be reloads now that I think of it.

rtlltj
09-30-2008, 8:59 PM
You probably want to check the length of the cartridge. Maybe they were reloaded but needed trimming and it wasn't done.

WilliamAnderson
09-30-2008, 9:07 PM
so, if i buy 5.56 nato marked ammo, will i be in any danger?

tophatjones
09-30-2008, 9:34 PM
If you want to be sure about your chamber dimensions, take it to a gunsmith. Another thing you can do is measure your ammo (never heard of any SP Nato ammo) to see if it is really in spec.

762cavalier
09-30-2008, 9:47 PM
"NATO stamped soft points?" Are the primers crimped? Are they reloads? Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen NATO rounds that were soft point. Could be they are reloads that were not fully resized.
This is your problem. NATO does not use soft points. They are reloads and you shouldn't use someone else's/unknown reloads for the the very reason you are having. I would take the reloads and dispose of them or pull them down for components.

You should have no problems buying and using real 5.56 NATO or otherwise.;)

mattmcg
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
If you buy 5.56mm NATO rounds and shoot them out of your 5.56 NATO or 223 Wylde chamber, you shouldn't be in any danger.

That said, let me give you a little tip that could lessen any risk that you may have. Go to the range and fire a bunch of 223 Rem cartridges. Keep the brass and take it home. Next, buy an RCBS precision mic in 223 Rem at Midway (RCBS Precision Mic (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=477756&t=11082005) and measure the headspace for the fired brass. Even with a minor amount of brass spring back after firing, you will have a good indication to the thousandths of an inch what your headspace chambering dimensions will be.

m24armorer
10-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Dump the reloads.