PDA

View Full Version : AR guys, your expertise needed, pics inside !

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 2:02 PM
After a shooting session and during subsequent cleaning I noticed my trigger pin had 'walked' out of place, please see the two pics below.
I lightly tapped the pin on the other side in an attempt to reseat it, but something's stopping it. What am I missing here ? Maybe some sort of detent pin ? Or maybe the pin is simply out of alignment ?
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_4919.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_4918.jpg

CHS
09-30-2008, 2:11 PM
Post a top-down picture of your lower so we can see where the hammer spring legs are going. They are most likely in backwards, and blocking the pin as well.

10RoundLimit
09-30-2008, 2:17 PM
One of the hammer spring leg's sits on top of the trigger pin. Remove the hammer and pin push your trigger pin in then reinstall the hammer.

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 2:30 PM
Couldn't I simply lift the pin with the shaft of a screw driver to 'coax' it back into place ? And why'd it walk outta there to begin with ? What would you do to keep it from happening again ?

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_4932.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t57/electricfactory/100_4929.jpg

Beelzy
09-30-2008, 2:37 PM
Or you can use a small screwdriver to pull up the spring leg when you
try pushing the pin back in.

I would maybe take the pin and dimple it with a ***** punch so it doesn't
do the Walkabout anymore.

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 2:41 PM
I would maybe take the pin and dimple it with a ***** punch so it doesn't
do the Walkabout anymore.

Okay, I was able to fidget with the trigger enough to tap the pin back into place. What do you mean by 'dimple it with a ***** punch' ? Please be specific as I am most certainly mechanically challenged. :D

How about a small dab of Locktite at each side of the hole ?

10RoundLimit
09-30-2008, 2:43 PM
your hammer spring looks upside down.

PIRATE14
09-30-2008, 2:46 PM
your hammer spring looks upside down.

Or Backwards......which, it is........

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 2:56 PM
Would someone please post a top-down pic of a hammer spring installed correctly/ right side up ?

CHS
09-30-2008, 3:04 PM
Would someone please post a top-down pic of a hammer spring installed correctly/ right side up ?

Yup, your hammer spring is installed incorrectly. The legs should be "flat". right now they are angled down. This is the most common cause of walking trigger pins.

Once you fix your hammer spring, you most likely won't ever see that pin walk again.

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 3:38 PM
If anyone reading this thread is going to Angeles Range tomorrow or Thursday, how would you like to shoot for free that day ?
PM me for details.

MudCamper
09-30-2008, 3:50 PM
This post has pics of the correct spring orientation:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32797

aplinker
09-30-2008, 4:13 PM
I'd pull your whole FCG and check that the hammer/trigger pins are the same and both have two scores while fixing the spring.

Swapping the spring will put more tension on the pin and prevent walking.

If you're concerned, get KNS pins.

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 4:15 PM
So... punch the hammer pin out, remove the hammer and spring assembly, reverse the spring correctly, re-install hammer+spring assembly and punch the pin back in... right ? Anything I missed ?

Lateralus
09-30-2008, 4:16 PM
If anyone reading this thread is going to Angeles Range tomorrow or Thursday, how would you like to shoot for free that day ?
PM me for details.

If you were up north Id gladly take you up on that offer :D

Once it is installed correctly, they shouldnt walk. I have, lets just say, "more than one" AR and Ive never had a pin walk out.

Lateralus
09-30-2008, 4:18 PM
So... punch the hammer pin out, remove the hammer and spring assembly, reverse the spring correctly, re-install hammer+spring assembly and punch the pin back in... right ? Anything I missed ?

A pat on the back and a beer when done?

Guntech
09-30-2008, 4:20 PM
Yup, your hammer spring is installed incorrectly. The legs should be "flat". right now they are angled down. This is the most common cause of walking trigger pins.

Once you fix your hammer spring, you most likely won't ever see that pin walk again.

+1 hit it on the head.

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 4:31 PM
If you were up north Id gladly take you up on that offer :D

Drat [ LOL ] ! And Angeles has a 600 yd rifle range, too. I know, maybe you should drive down anyway, depending on where you live you should probably leave... now ?:D:D

Pryde
09-30-2008, 4:53 PM
I will be at Angeles tomorrow after 7PM, I can fix it for you if you will still be there. I will not accept payment of any sort :)

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 5:58 PM
I will be at Angeles tomorrow after 7PM, I can fix it for you if you will still be there. I will not accept payment of any sort :)

Wouldn't you know it, I'll be gone by 2:00pm.:( Still, if I haven't completely screwed it up by then I may venture back up there after 7:00 pm and try to track you down. I've never shot there at night before-fun ? Can you even see the 200 yd steel targets ?

Electric Factory
09-30-2008, 6:18 PM
A pat on the back and a beer when done?

Mission accomplished ! Except you guys didn't mention that the hammer spring, under significant pressure when lining up the holes requires at least one extra hand to do make it work [ LOL ] !:D
I enlisted/ begged my wife to tap in the hammer pin into the frame while I muscled the hammer and spring into position and held it still enough [ !!! ] so the pin could be fitted. All in all just as simple as everyone said it would be though I now marvel at some of you who single handdedly assemble OLL's w/o use of a third or fourth hand in the process.
Thanks again guys, now about that beer...

Pryde
09-30-2008, 6:23 PM
Wouldn't you know it, I'll be gone by 2:00pm.:( Still, if I haven't completely screwed it up by then I may venture back up there after 7:00 pm and try to track you down. I've never shot there at night before-fun ? Can you even see the 200 yd steel targets ?

Only the right side is open after 7pm. It goes to 100 yds.

Here is how your hammer spring should be installed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/sickeness/hammer.jpg

tophatjones
09-30-2008, 8:46 PM
Cool picture, Pryde.

m24armorer
09-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Sorry you had to scratch your desk for those little lines :D