PDA

View Full Version : Quick M1A cleaning question...

renardsubtil
09-30-2008, 11:05 AM
hey all,

I'm been enjoying my M1A Standard for about 500 or so round now and I noticed that other day after letting it sit in my closet for a few weeks that the chamber rim (the rim where the feeding ramps are indented into) is blackened. I always thought I was pretty thorough in my cleaning after each outing, the barrel, chamber, and indentations where the feed ramps are all look shiny enough.... Is this blackening around the chamber rim normal?

Sorry in advance for my noobish terms, I'm not sure if I'm correctly describing that area correctly...I'll try and grab a pic later....

E Pluribus Unum
09-30-2008, 11:15 AM
hey all,

I'm been enjoying my M1A Standard for about 500 or so round now and I noticed that other day after letting it sit in my closet for a few weeks that the chamber rim (the rim where the feeding ramps are indented into) is blackened. I always thought I was pretty thorough in my cleaning after each outing, the barrel, chamber, and indentations where the feed ramps are all look shiny enough.... Is this blackening around the chamber rim normal?

Sorry in advance for my noobish terms, I'm not sure if I'm correctly describing that area correctly...I'll try and grab a pic later....

Yes. You will notice that shortly after shooting the marks are yellow. After a short amount of time it turns green. After several weeks it turns black.

I attribute it to copper from the the jacket. I guess it could also be primer residue. I notice it is more apparent when shooting Mil-surp ammo.

I use a toothbrush and a brillo pad to get it off.

renardsubtil
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Yes. You will notice that shortly after shooting the marks are yellow. After a short amount of time it turns green. After several weeks it turns black.

I attribute it to copper from the the jacket. I guess it could also be primer residue. I notice it is more apparent when shooting Mil-surp ammo.

I use a toothbrush and a brillo pad to get it off.

Hey thanks! that totally makes sense since all I ever shoot is Mil surplus.

I usually clean that area with Breakfree CLP and a nylon brush (the chamber gets a copper brush and CLP), should I be using the Hoppes instead to clean this area?

30Cal
09-30-2008, 1:01 PM
Hey thanks! that totally makes sense since all I ever shoot is Mil surplus.

I usually clean that area with Breakfree CLP and a nylon brush (the chamber gets a copper brush and CLP), should I be using the Hoppes instead to clean this area?

Doesn't really matter. Use what works, and be sure to keep it from getting into the stock.